BMI and All That Jazz !

charley24

Silver Member
Hi Ladies, Charley here (oh yes, yet again) honestly......

Anyways as many of you know I started at 14.12 and managed to get to 11 stone - then went on hols....blah de blah.

Won't bore you with what's been happening since September when I hit goal.

Anyways, I managed to get to 11 stone, a BMI of 25. Now to many that might not seem much, I see many people wishing for a BMI of 22/23 to be somewhere in the middle.

Currently mine is 29 and obviously I am upset about this, but really think that my natural weight is around 11.7 to 12 stone ish. I can still wear the same clothes (14 bottom, 12 top - 12 dress) at those weights. But this BMI business quite gets me down as a Dr or nurse would say I was 'overweight'.

Now I am larger, I am shocked at the people who said I looked 'ill' at 11 stone and it has got me thinking about as well as doing Cambridge, I don't seem to ever make over my mind, and learn to love myself.

I admit when I was 11 stone I had confidence and felt great, but I kind of felt like I was a bit of a fraud, not really supposed to be that slim, and the only way I could stay there would be to have a carb free life.

For example, if I ate a bowl of pasta the scales would show 3lbs the next morning, same with bread etc.

I don't want to live a life of always feeling like I have to be 'good', I sometimes want pizza and chips !

Of course the biggest issue is I never learn, I need to get to a weight I feel ok at and then manage my weight by healthy eating and allowing myself some treats, and also by moving my ass and doing some exersize and realising that this needs to be a change for life, not just until the next social night out.

Anyways I have no idea what I am trying to say so I will stop blabbering, I just wanted to clear my head !

I think after re-reading this, is that is it so bad to have my goal of 11.7 and face the fact that is NOT in the healthy range for a BMI ? Think it is about 26.

Hi Charley,

I did the same as you, I lost 3 stone, got down to 11 stone and looked very gaunt and im only 5'4 but felt I looked better at 11 7lb but that classed me as overweight. Anyway I have put it all back on and have restarted but don't want to forever give up carbs etc. Im just doing ss+ 810 plan and will lose it slower but stop at 11 7lb I think.

Ah thanks Carolyn, nice to know I am not alone in feeling this way !
Good luck for your losses, I am ssing but have had cottage cheese so really I am ss plussing ! It's soo very very hard !

My goal weight is 12stones, which will mean my BMI is 28, but I think Id look awful any smaller. I hate being the size I am, but I know Im not built to be super skinny.

Thanks Diet.....I think I am so hung up on BMI that it clouds my judgement ! Makes me think I MUST be BMI 25 or no matter what I will look HUGE !

Well done on your 9lbs loss !

charley - SO NICE to see you on here. i agree, you should go by how you feel and not the bmi. you are 5.6 so 11.7 should be fine for you??

anyway, just wanted to post to say hiya annd how you getting on??

Good luck in your current venture. I believe state of mind is a big thing. If you are unhappy then it doesnt matter what size you are. When you are happy it rubs off on other people too.

Charley!!!!!

Nice to see you back

Stop stressing lovey!!

My BMI is technically over weight look over there!! <<< but who gives a monkeys :D

Them BMI things are crap and mean nothing seriously.. they are a VERY wooly chart in my opinion

You get to where you feel comfy.... sod the charts! xxxx

I totally get how you feel charley... I had a literal weep on friday after my weigh in because I lost nothing despite being good on SS+ all week (The week before tried 1000cal and put half lb on) and despite being on CD for 7 months, have lost 3 stone (comes off me so slowly) but was still not at goal (BMI 25) and it was my 30th birthday this weekend and that was my target date when I started the diet. So I was just feeling very sorry for myself, it was weird, I was in ketosis (not that i even bother about that these days) and showed my counsellor my tongue for proof! But not lost a jot and havent lost anything give or take a lb in the whole month of april!! God knows whats been going on with my body. I get mad with myself that I let it upsets me, as I have lost 3 stone which is such an achievement, but my BMI is 27. I wonder if there wasnt such a thing as a BMI what goal weight we would all choose??! So obviously with the bday celebrations have been eating this weekend and according to scales have put 4lb on already (i only got weighed friday), like you this happens as soon as I eat carbs except for the carbs in CD products! But dont want to live a carb-free life forever! My CDC suggests I have a few weeks break from weigh-ins and just do what I feel diet wise but I have no idea what I want to do at the moment. I really do love CD and have found it the most succesful diet ever for me ( as i always lose so slowly whatever i do) and found it the easiest to stick to, I have never stuck another diet for 7months. Anyway I am seriously rambling now! Positive thoughts to you all!!

Back