BMI

I will succeed!!!
Am I alone in thinking BMI is a load of tosh?

I am 5.5 tall and my weight is 10st11lbs. My current BMI is 25.1 after losing 20lbs and though I'm only 2lbs from being in the 'normal' range, I'm still technically 'overweight'.

On the flip side, at 5.5 8stone is still in the 'normal' range. When I was just over that I looked so poorly (there is a pic of me in the before and after at this weight and it's not a good look for my height) - and IMO being that slim is as unhealhty as being overweight.

I just think BMI is misleading - you could be a lat and all muscle and classed overweight!

I know it's a guide and just a number - and it's our health and how we feel that counts, but does anyone agree that the 'healthy normal' range is skewed somewhat?

hi their ive been thinking about this 2 sticky, as ive never really been skinny(lol from wot i remember) i was wondering weither to use my BMI healthy weight as a target however ive heard people say that when they get to wot the class as statistically normal BMI they look ill, so i reall duno were to aim to xx

hi their ive been thinking about this 2 sticky, as ive never really been skinny(lol from wot i remember) i was wondering weither to use my BMI healthy weight as a target however ive heard people say that when they get to wot the class as statistically normal BMI they look ill, so i reall duno were to aim to xx

When it comes to target, I'm not even basing my losses on the one I set at the start (9st7lb) and I think I might look better at 10stone, based on the fact that's another 11lbs. So I've decided to stop when I feel the best and feel it's maintainable.

I just think it's totally shunted too far one way - and it worries me that it might cause people to panic and lose weight on crash diets than a healthy plan when in reality, they're in a healthy range.

well talking of bmi i workes out then when i get to my target weight, my bmi will still be classes as in the overweight marker xxxx

Well Linford Christie was classed as obese by his BMI! :confused:

My fiance body builds and he is classed as obese on the BMI chart, yet he is 'ripped' and full of muscle. In this circumstance then i think its a load of tosh!

However, BMI is just the healthy weight range for your height and doesnt factor in things such as muscle.

Its also suggested to go off waist size as for women, anything over a 34inch waist can pose health dangers as carrying fat around your mid section poses the greatest risk according to the NHS.

I think if you are the right proportions for your height and within the suggested BMI range then you are ok :)

My personal

There's been a bit of 'scientific' talk about this recently.

BMI is a really basic guideline, but if you're wanting to get more accurate measurments, then yes...it's a load of TOSH! :)

Its tosh really, how can we all be judged on a standard figure. Does it take into account your body shape, muscle.....no and what about boobs! A set of E's are going to weigh more than a set of AA's making that person carry more weight:confused:

Rant over:rolleyes:

Back