1. MiniMins members lost 144 Stone in January! Why not join in the conversation today?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

BMI's???

Discussion in 'Diet Chef' started by jrabbit81, 3 June 2009 Social URL.

1. jrabbit81

jrabbit81 Well-Known Member

What is with BMI's? I am a size 12 and still obese! Whats with that! :sigh:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

Register a free account with MiniMins and join in the conversation!
  3. Iris

Iris Well-Known Member

Vanity sizing? Not many manufacturers these days actually produce clothes to the true sizes. M&S is one of the worst for this, I've found. If you look at official UK sizing measurements, then measure the actual garment - even allowing for the necessary cut and hang, there's a major discrepancy. I think they do it for financial reasons. It's crazy and silly but a lot of women are more likely to buy a garment if it makes them feel good about themselves by having a smaller size label on it.

BMI can be a pile of old tosh, anyway. One formula can't fit all of humanity. Don't worry about it! :)

4. lucysmommy

lucysmommy Well-Known Member

i wouldnt worry much about it, apparently the BMI chart is based on americans as well, although im not 100% sure
    x

5. CarolineM

CarolineM Stubborn and doing it

It's all to do with muscle weight - a lot of good athletes are over on the BMI. Better to go off body fat pecentage cos you can be below normal BMI and skeletal looking and still carry an unhealthy amount of body fat around your internal organs.