bmr help

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by pillboy, 8 September 2009 Social URL.

1. pillboy

pillboy Member

hi everyone i need your help i have filled my details out in a bmr calculator it says i need 3097 cals a day that seems a lot to me,anyway i would like to try and lose at least 2lbs a week so would i be right in thinking i need to cut my cals by a 1000 a day to 2097 to reach my goal?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Tracey1404

Tracey1404 Enjoyin' my journey....

Start Weight:
    18st10lb
    Current Weight:
    15st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st7lb
    Lost(%):
    2st12lb(15.27%)
    Diet:
    SS+
    Hi Pillboy - does sound a lot, but depends on your build, current weight, lifestyle etc. Rule of thumb is reduction of 3500 calories = 1lb loss in weight. So if the calculation is correct, then dropping 7000 cals a week shoudl give you your 2lbs weight loss. Tx

4. pillboy

pillboy Member

thanks for the reply tracey i am currently 17 stone and 6ft and lightly active and the bmr calculator i used said 3097 a day but i am not sure

5. SarahSez

SarahSez Silver Member

Start Weight:
    17st1lb
    Current Weight:
    9st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st11lb
    Lost(%):
    7st6lb(43.51%)
    Diet:
    Rosemary Conley
    I've just quickly checked with my book on your stats and to maintain your current weight i've worked out a similar figure to you so as Tracey says if you drop 1000 calories a day, you should lose 2lbs per week

6. pillboy

pillboy Member

thanks sarahsez let the hard work begin

7. PurpleButterfly

PurpleButterfly 16lb to go!

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5lb(14.6%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting plain and simple :)
    Yup it's entirely possible if you're that tall & heavy... Just think of it like carrying an extra 4 to 5 stone is maybe carrying an extra 50lb around with you - all day. Think of it in terms of sugar bags, and it's hefty. Think of that like a permanent gym, you have to use extra energy to do normal stuff. So it's entirely possible you burn 3000 a day.
    I mean in my case at the moment I'm 13.5st, pretty active, and I am steadily losing 3lb a week eating 1500cals a day. It's poss.

8. pillboy

pillboy Member

cheers for your replies everyone its just every site every calculator seems to bring different results its hard to know which one is close to being right

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.