Boiled egg with soldiers?

Tinnedtomato

Gold Member
I love boiled eggs with soldiers, but it has really got to me why we call them soldiers??

Anyone have any ideas?? :confused:

I assumed it was to do with humpty dumpty "all the kingsmen" kingsmen = soldiers?

Apparently it's supposed to be reminiscent of the formation of soldiers on parade :) xx

Both right :)

"A soldier is British term that refers to a piece of toast cut into thin strips reminiscent of the formation of soldiers on parade. The toast is sliced in this manner so that it can be dipped into the opening of a soft boiled egg that has had the top of its shell removed.Another belief for the origin of the name is from the childhood rhyme "Humpty Dumpty". The bread refers to the soldiers who went to rescue Humpty Dumpty when he had his "great fall." you can always rely on Google ;)

Ah but then this leads to the question... where in the rhyme does it say Humpty Dumpty was an egg?!

It was originally written as a riddle wasn't it, so maybe the answer to the question about what humpty dumpty was is that he was an egg? Perhaps because we all know the answer now the question is no longer asked? That's the only thing I can come up with, lol! xx

According to Humpty Dumpty story and picture, the original Humpty Dumpty was a large cannon used by the Cavaliers in the Civil War and was destroyed by the Roundheads!

Well, you live and learn :8855::8855::8855:

As an aside, did you know that it was the likes of Humpty Dumpty (and no doubt his soldiers) that helped the secret services weedle out spies during the Second World War? Even spies who spoke perfect English couldn't tell you what happened to Humpty, what Miss Moffat was frightened of or where Jack and Jill went. It's all part of our childhood culture and non-native speakers who grow up in Foreign countries don't always have it.

Back