Boiled Eggs!

emmabi

likes to eat!
Hi all, hope everybody is having a good week!

Just a quick egg question, I have got cooking poached eggs down to a t now :D, but am useless at doing boiled eggs, the kind you would have in a salad, done in the middle, how long does everybody cook them for?

Love, Emma xx

I put them in the pan with the cold water, so they can heat up gradually as the water comes to the boil (stops them cracking so much), then once on the boil about 6 mins (unless I forget about them - in which case it could be any amount of time - and believe me, burnt boiled eggs do NOT smell good and can cause a fairly dramatic explosion. Very messy!)

x

And always rinse in cold water straight after until they are cold and you shouldnt get that grey line around the yolk

I guess about 10 minutes? I'm so bad when it comes to cooking, I never time anything. I just go by how brown it looks or if it smells done...with eggs I just leave them for a while until I think it's done I cant really explain it. If you leave it for a little longer than it needs it's not the end of the world, just goes a little black around the yolk (no where near as gross looking as it sounds)

I think Delia Smith says 7 minutes. Have a look at this:

How to boil an egg - Eggs - Eggs - from Delia Online

I put them in the pan with the cold water, so they can heat up gradually as the water comes to the boil (stops them cracking so much), then once on the boil about 6 mins (unless I forget about them - in which case it could be any amount of time - and believe me, burnt boiled eggs do NOT smell good and can cause a fairly dramatic explosion. Very messy!)

x

"Fairly dramatic explosion!" LOL! I never knew eggs could explode!! :rotflmao:

you can one of this fellas from poundland for squid, but don't know how good of quality it is!

I have a special boiled egg timer from Lakeland that you add to the pan with the egg. It is marked for soft/medium/hard yolks and changes colour as time passes. When the colour reaches the appropriate mark you know it's time to take the egg out and run it under cold water. Perfect eggs every time.

Egg-Perfect - Lakeland, the home of creative kitchenware

"Fairly dramatic explosion!" LOL! I never knew eggs could explode!! :rotflmao:

Neither did I.
I got distracted and went off. The pan boiled dry so the eggs were in a hot saucepan in their shells. Don't know how long it all took to happen, just that getting dried bits of egg yolk off the wall and ceiling wasn't fun (and my OH was a bit cross).

Thanks all, I was thinking about 3 mins, duh!! I will be off to poundland tomorrow me thinks for a timer!!!!

Emma xx

I bought an electric egg cooker from Lidl a while ago. I always thought that these were a bit silly, but actually I find it works very well, and there is a very loud bleep when the eggs are cooked so I can't forget about them.

I boil mine for 8 minutes then turn the heat off for 2 minutes, then I run them under cold water until they cool down, the yolks are always nice & fluffy but not runny then

Back