Bone Marrow Donor

Thanks for the reply Honey.

It was bone marrow I was wondering about. Does havving cancer make a difference ??

Ahhh, I noticed that you can't be a blood donor because of jaundice as a baby :( Sorry hun, it looks as though bone marrow donation is out :( Sorry xxx

That plus I am such an old fart at 66.

Thanks for going to so much trouble for me.

xxxxx

thank you for doing such a brave and couragous thing.

Jan 22nd this year my husband was diagnosed with leukaemia.

we are battling it now,

what your doing gives people a chance of life. without your donation they would be without hope.

to these people you will be a last resort and your there hero and maybe someday my husbands hero.

thank you

Ooh, sorry I missed all these wonderful responses!

I've signed up through work; I work at Wilkinson's and our Charity of the Year is Anthony Nolan. We've been raising money throughout the year, but my Mum went to a meeting to discuss where we're heading with the charity and met a colleague who's son is currently awaiting a donor, and cannot leave sterile conditions because of how low his immune system is.

She came home and *roughly* explained the procedure to me. I've a bit of a wuss, scared STIFF of having a blood test (never had one - although people tend to look at me funny when I say I'm scared of needles when they see my two lip piercings!). I just feel like putting myself on the list is worth more than the couple of quid I could donate.

I signed up for the Organ Donor list this year too, after sitting down and thinking logically about the fact that I really won't have ANY need for them after I've popped my clogs!

I'm just hoping that all's well and I can actually help someone!

I've been on the Anthony Nolan register for a number of years now, have given blood since university and have been a registered organ donor for as long as I can remember carrying a donor card!!

My husband has recently renewed his driving licence and I was filling out the form for him (I have neater handwriting lol) and asked him if he wanted to go on the organ donor register. He asked me my opinion and I told him I thought he should go on it, but it was up to him.

He agreed in the end :D

Allie - we were told when we were in uni that cadavers from this country went to France. Not sure if that's true! At least you'd get a trip across the water out of it ;)

That's not true, I know this for a fact through my job! :)

Good luck in finding your matched donor Honey :)

I am on the Organ Donation list and did used to give blood but I have a kidney condition and the Blood Bank refused to any more donations from me a few years ago as they thought I would have had to be on rolling antibiotics. As I haven't had any kidney infections etc and have been discharged from my Nephrologist I chased them up again and they said they will now accept blood from me :D. My husband has a rare blood type so I am trying to pursuade him to donate too.

I am going to have a look online at the Anthony Nolan register, it is something which I would be willing to do.

Many years ago my dad went to give blood and the Anthony Nolan people were there - my dad happily registered with them. In a matter of weeks after registering, they contacted my dad saying he was a match and he had to go to Harley Street for the procedure. Unfortunately the man died of pneumonia as a result of his low immune system but we were very proud of our dad's selflessness.

Many years ago my dad went to give blood and the Anthony Nolan people were there - my dad happily registered with them. In a matter of weeks after registering, they contacted my dad saying he was a match and he had to go to Harley Street for the procedure. Unfortunately the man died of pneumonia as a result of his low immune system but we were very proud of our dad's selflessness.

Oh that's so sad!
But your Dad is a wonderful man for being willing to go through the procedure! xx

I'd love to be a blood /marrow donor but as I had a full body transfusion in '86 they won't have me - such a shame as I'm O neg which is meant to be rare! I am on the organ list but I don't know if they'd have me. When my sister's little boy was going she tried to donate his organs but as he'd been on so many meds they couldn't take them - it broke her heart

ETA Sarahm85 that is an amazing thing for him to have tried to do, whether or not he had the chance is superficial xx

Back