Books as films

lilacwine

Hi all

I don't generally watch a film if I've already read the book, but my book club read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and then the film came out so we thought it would be nice to all go together. I was very pleasantly surprised as it actually remained very true to the story - albeit that it had to cut out a few bits because of the time.

What do you think about watching films when you have already read the book?

I read Water for Elephants when it first came out, weird how took so long to be made to film, i haven't seen the film, i'll wait til the dvd i think.

I loved all the Harry Potter films, although i do think books 5 and 6 were better than the films.

I like to read the books before seeing the movie. Having read P.S I love you before seeing the movie I thought the movie was terrible. Typical American spin on it. I did enjoy the I am Legend movie but it was nothing like the book. But I understood why they changed it as theres not exactly a lot going on in the book.

I agree about the PS I love you book/film - I hated the film and couldn't wait to get out of there. Bridget Jones, however, was much better as a film.

I enjoy reading the book before i see the film, i just prefer how into a book i get if its really good. Was very disappointed with PS I love you movie, i can't bring myself to watch it again and in Cyprus we have Arabic satelite where they play the same films over and over (probably why i read so many books the first year i was here!) The lovely bones was quite a good film after reading the book, pretty similar in what happens and the Time Travellers Wife was also good.

I enjoy reading the book before i see the film, i just prefer how into a book i get if its really good. Was very disappointed with PS I love you movie, i can't bring myself to watch it again and in Cyprus we have Arabic satelite where they play the same films over and over (probably why i read so many books the first year i was here!) The lovely bones was quite a good film after reading the book, pretty similar in what happens and the Time Travellers Wife was also good.

I havent seen The Lovely Bones, the book put me off! I hated the book... i agree with all the not so good reviews on that book.

It started off well, and then just seemed to go at a snail pace downhill and was oh so repetitive, i actually skimmed through the last half of the book.. i remember very little about it!

Back