Boots said this diet is dangerous!

bunnycd

What a joke! went to Boots to get ketostix and spoke to a MALE pharmacist who said "You do know high protein diets are dangerous!" I replied I am doing the cambridge diet and my doctor said it was ok. He then stood there for 10 minutes telling me that it is bad for me etc. What a load of cr*ap! I thought he was not going to give me the sticks! I explained that there have been a number of medical trials in HOSPITALS and he did not take that on board at all. It does suprise me that Cambridge have not communicated the diet to the pharmacy market I guess he thought he was doing me a favor!

I have got really fedup with people saying that to me. Someone asked me the other day what diet I was on,as I looked like I'd lost a lot of weight. I told them and they asked their doctor about it who said "not a good idea and you'll put on all the weight afterwards" and they wouldnt sign their forms for them. When I saw them again they proceeded to lecture me about the diet. My doctor is all for vlcd and thats good enough for me. That and the info I already have about the diet, but it does pee me off sometimes. The comment about putting it all on afterwards has just made me more determind not too.

Nikki

Hi i'm starting this diet on thursday. I have around 9stone to lose. I would have turned around and said and i spose carry nine stone around is good for me!!!

Perhaps Cambridge should invest some money into educating the health service?

You know something, I would put in a letter of complaint to Boots headquarters. You didn't ask for his opinion...you went to your doctor for that who is obviously more suitably qualified. You don't expect to get a lecture every time you go in to buy ketostix.

That is totally mental!!! Lipotrim is done in Pharmacies!!!!!! (sp?)and CD is available in some GP's surgeries through PriSec Counsellors.

People who don't know their facts eh??:mad:

It makes me angry that people "assume" and don't actually look into it. I mean, which authority said that CD is bad for you? If it is a personal opinnion, they should keep it to themselves. And here here to the comment below;

"Hi i'm starting this diet on thursday. I have around 9stone to lose. I would have turned around and said and i spose carry nine stone around is good for me!!"

I bet the guy was a skinny little runt who has never had to diet in his life! What a load of tosh!

Coley's absolutely right - Cambridge train some CDCs to work specifically with Health Authorities, nationwide, so I believe.

I would have complained to this man's supervisor tbh. I mean, you don't get other salespersons trying to argue about selling their products, do you?? lol

It's not as if using ketostix in themselves is dangerous - not like guns or knives, is it??

Sheesh!

Silly man!

Im not impressed with Boots as a chemist, I much prefer my local chemist you really know how to treat people. To me Boots is just another shop on the high street. If they dont provide good service we can always walk away and give our custom to other chemist.

Ive also had loads of people who have told me that this diet is dangerous. I just reply "thats strange because my doctor doesnt agree with you", mostly they them shut up.

I had all of this when I first started. They've all shut up now they've seen that I'm getting slim and haven't died yet!!!!!! In fact a lot of them have asked for more details about Cambridge and have contacted various counsellors in the area. I feel like a walking advertisment.

You should go back to boots when you have reached goal and flaunt it!!!!

Jazzy x

I have got really fedup with people saying that to me. Someone asked me the other day what diet I was on,as I looked like I'd lost a lot of weight. I told them and they asked their doctor about it who said "not a good idea and you'll put on all the weight afterwards" and they wouldnt sign their forms for them. When I saw them again they proceeded to lecture me about the diet. My doctor is all for vlcd and thats good enough for me. That and the info I already have about the diet, but it does pee me off sometimes. The comment about putting it all on afterwards has just made me more determind not too.

Nikki
Hi Nikki,

With any diet if you go back to your old ways of eating then you will end back at square one again.

This is the hardest part of any diet learning how to change old habits and portion size and for me not to comfort eat:eek:

A vlcd is very hard to do and a lot of people just can't stick to it as it does require a lot of discipline, but it does give quick results in more ways than just losing weight.

You have all the nutrients your body needs in the packets and all I can say from my own personal experience is that since starting my weight loss journey I have never been as healthy.

I had very bad psoriases which was constantly itchy and embarrassing as my hands looked like two raw steaks. Water stung them. The psoriases went up my arms to my elbows and anything I tried worked for a short time and then it was on to something else that promised a cure.

Now I have the psoriases just around my wrists and it does not look so bad, I seldom itch like I use too and my hands are perfect.

I also had boils which were very painful as they never came to a head but were red and sore under the skin I took antibiotics for these but they never went away. I am free of these as well.

When I got out of bed in the morning I was stiff with pain, now I completely free of pain in my joints and bones and feel so flexible and have loads more energy.

I have maintained five stone off for a year, but I am finding it difficult to shift the next four stone and I do think a lot of it is psychological, in my own head.:sigh:

When you get to a place where you look well and have more choice about clothes and you have ticked off off most of the boxes it is hard to feel motivated as in the first flush of the diet as everyone is saying sure you look great and why do you want to lose more weight.:rolleyes:

This diet has been my life saver and this is why I feel so passionate about it as without it I don't think I would be alive as I was in such denial and my family were worried about me.

It is amazing what you can block out when you want to!:eek:

Babies who are bottled fed live on formula which is also a liquid diet that is man made, it is made up more or less the same way as a vlcd, but has more fat and carbohydrate in it for the growing baby.

We are just going in the other direction.:rolleyes:

I often think is that some of our friends don't like to see the status quo change...

I was the fat friend for so long...now I feel it is my turn to be the slim friend...

When we change we force others into looking at themselves. So you will find there is always resistance to change.

I feel very comfortable where I am now as I blend in, but for my own on going health improvement for life, I do need to be normal range of weight...we all want to be normal:D

They say if you can maintain your weight off for five years you have cracked it!

Love Mini xxx

Last edited:
He then stood there for 10 minutes telling me that it is bad for me etc. What a load of cr*ap! I thought he was not going to give me the sticks!

think I would have looked confused and then said "strange...I would have thought you pharmacists would have to keep up with research:confused:...oh well...maybe it's just the Boots ones that aren't up to date" (looking confused again :D

What a joke! went to Boots to get ketostix and spoke to a MALE pharmacist who said "You do know high protein diets are dangerous!" I replied I am doing the cambridge diet and my doctor said it was ok. He then stood there for 10 minutes telling me that it is bad for me etc. What a load of cr*ap! I thought he was not going to give me the sticks! I explained that there have been a number of medical trials in HOSPITALS and he did not take that on board at all. It does suprise me that Cambridge have not communicated the diet to the pharmacy market I guess he thought he was doing me a favor!
There is just so much ignorance around us

Someone asked me the other day what diet I was on,as I looked like I'd lost a lot of weight. I told them and they asked their doctor about it who said "not a good idea and you'll put on all the weight afterwards"
there seems to be a notion of fast off=fast on,as if it equate to easy off/easy on.there seems to be no real evidence to support this & I think that our leader MINI has all tha info on this.Nikki

Hi i'm starting this diet on thursday. I have around 9stone to lose. I would have turned around and said and i spose carry nine stone around is good for me!!!
Quite right!

You know something, I would put in a letter of complaint to Boots headquarters. You didn't ask for his opinion...I agree[/quote]

That is totally mental!!! Lipotrim is done in Pharmacies!!!!!! (sp?)and CD is available in some GP's surgeries through PriSec Counsellors.
I didn't know that -it just makes all the preceeding comments even more hard to understand

It makes me angry that people "assume" and don't actually look into it. Same here.

"Hi i'm starting this diet on thursday. I have around 9stone to lose. I would have turned around and said and i spose carry nine stone around is good for me!!"I would have loved to see that!

Isobel1965;162839 I would have complained to this man's supervisor tbh. I mean said:
Ha Ha "Put the ketostix down.Replace the lid on the tube & walk away from it with your hands above your head"[/COLOR]

I had a similar thing happen when I went in to ask if they sold the husks in tablet form...they didn't. Ah but I think Holland & Barrett do

Poppa...you've done really well those people are just jealous!
Hear Hear

Ive also had loads of people who have told me that this diet is dangerous. I just reply "thats strange because my doctor doesnt agree with you", mostly they them shut up.Well done.there's really no answer to that one[/quote]

I had all of this when I first started. They've all shut up now they've seen that I'm getting slim and haven't died yet!!!!!! In fact a lot of them have asked for more details about Cambridge and have contacted various counsellors in the area. I feel like a walking advertisment.
I've ust seen your tracker-you must now be a very svelt & compact advert! Really impressed.
Jazzy x

Hi Nikki,
With any diet if you go back to your old ways of eating then you will end back at square one again.

They say if you can maintain your weight off for five years you have cracked it!That's V interesting.So if I keep going to goal in about 8 months,then add 5 years can I report back to tell you how i've done?
Love Mini xxx

think I would have looked confused and then said "strange...I would have thought you pharmacists would have to keep up with research:confused:...oh well...maybe it's just the Boots ones that aren't up to date" (looking confused again :D
Another good response.
I ust took the cowards way when I went to but some.Just let them assume I was diabetic.

people who never had to battle with their weight, do not know..not even the slightest idea how hard it is for people to lose weight...how hard it is to start on a diet, and change the way one eats...

i presume this guy was a skinny git who has no idea whatsoever what an overweight person goes through to shed some fat....thats why he was being a prim and proper pr*ck! (excuse my language, everyone).

had to let some steam off

Mini,thank you for your post and I so agree with it.I did a vlcd 5 years ago to lose weight for my weddng, but all the way through doing it I can remember thinking "Well if I put it all back on afterwards it doesnt matter, at least I'll have the photos of me in a size 12 dress".I have put it all back on,be it that it took 5 years. This time I am doing it for myself,not for a dress or a holiday purely myself. So when people make comments about piling it all back on it just reinforces my thinking that I will prove them so wrong!!

I too used to comfort eat, but thats another story in itself!!!I am so flipping determind that it will never go back on again. I love the part that says babies live on bottle formula and and going to remember that when I get any negative comments.
I'm currently on my 3rd year of counselling training(2 to go) and the thing that I have learnt is all about SELF!!Be true to yourself and that is was I'm doing this time, for me. You've done so well mini, and are an inspiration to lots o people who are just starting with your great weight loss!!

Nikki x

Hi there i have read some of your comments about the ignorance of others when you tell them you are on cambridge. I was on it previously a year ago i lost all my weight and have since regained it . This was down to me not the diet. The one thing i feel i should have had was councelling at the end of the diet and help. I felt while on the diet which was lipotrim i was getting weighed and some support from the chemist however once i needed to deal with real food again i was on my own. I have tried cambridge since as more choice etc but never succeeded to get back on it properly after 2 to 3 days i cave in i make meals for my family every day i can go all day being good then cave in at tea time. You really need something in place when coming off the diet this forum is good. I had all the comments from people to who were ignorant and believed this diet was dangerous etc. Can you imagine a second time around i have had so called friends gloat. It is surprising how many ask me to go out to lunch etc who never did at any other time after they realise i am trying again on cambridge i go to a weekly meeting which i have to go to after which there is tea coffee biscuits home made cake. Can you imagine what is like trying to explain cambridge is not a diet where you can have something just this once i have tried to explain about ketosis but it`s a waste of time they think it is a dangerous faddy diet. They try to persuade me to try another diet all the so called ones that never worked for me in the past. People can make it so hard and some as you say resent the change some deffinetlly want to see me stay fat through jealousy etc. And you ought to see their faces if they think you have slipped while on the diet i had one so called friend look at another and grin when i caved in once on this diet and ate something when i was struggling to get back on it. What it was she knew i was on it and i thought she was a friend so when i didn`t make it i told her that i had come off it as i was finding it difficult second time around and i ate something. But that i wanted to keep on trying. i I would like to keep it secret but its awkward as she is part of the group i attend and i get invited also to birthday meals of the other members quite often. So all of you who are sticking the diet stick with it and have a plan in place for when you come off it. And here i go again for hopefully a successful outcome. laura5510

I would definitely inform boots, after all they also supply lipotrim to clients which is another vlcd. it is appauling that you should have to cope with these sorts of comments when CD is the referral of choice by my local hospitals weight loss nutritionists for people with more than 3 stone to loose.

Back