Bordem Eating - How to break it!

Lightning86

Hey Guys

How do you guys deal with eating because your bored?
I find myself snacking when I get bored and really need a way
to break this habbit. :break_diet:

It's awful and I just can't seem to help it.
Also how do you stop cravings for things I think this is also related to been bored.

I will be sat watching a movie or Tv and will suddenly crave something :(
And worse is I will give in to it too!
How do I stop my weak will and beat this horrible habbit?

There has been times I have craved a take away and stopped myself,.

Please help :(

Oh hun, I also have a few days like that...

Did you already tried meal planing? Elaborate a meal plan the day before and stick to it.
Other things that may help are: snack on healthy things like berries or grapes; warm teas; go for a walk; don't eat in front of tv, only on table...

And trust yourself. You can stop it, you already avoided take aways and resisted it;) So, you can do it :)

I think the crochet is the right track, as I like to knit in front of the TV :) I think its pretty much trying to find something to do that takes your mind off of it, I have an xbox, so I play some of that, or what a DVD im really interested in, look up things on the internet, do uni work (lol, that bores me sometimes). Just do something to keep your mind busy :)

The other thing you could try is bin all the bad food and just keep healthy snacks in the cupboard. That way if you do end up snacking its not a big bag of crisps or bar of chocolate etc

you could snack on cherry tomatoes and baby carrots. They are crunchy and sweet, so it works well when you want something to keep your hands occupied. You could also tr to put nail varnish on. It keeps your hands occupied for a while and then it prevents you from touching anything for a while!

When Im on a diet all I can think of is food. I try n eat small things regularly so I don't buy crisps and choc at uni. Eating healthily is boring and a struggle for me!

I try to do uni work or watch a film but it feels wrong without a snack!
I can't stop thinking about pizza so I'm away to paint my nails haha

the reason why all you can think is food is because you don't eat enough... fill yourself with proper food and you won't crave rubbish. You can have the odd snack, and the odd treat, there's nothing wrong with that. I've lost more than 70 lbs in less than 1 year and had 2 slices of bread with nutella at breakfast (plus other stuff!) for a few months and then started having porridge with chocolate (Readybreak) every morning, plus an egg, orange juice and a yogurt. I still have it now... and I weight 8 stone for 5' 2.5". Although being at my ideal weight, I now eat loads... and every day I have a good lunch and a proper good sized home cooked dinner, plus a dessert in the evening... but that's because I went on a proper diet, exercised in between, had my breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks EVERY day and maintained a good level of muscle mass and health!

And you know what? I wear a size 6, my arms are toned and my tummy is flat! When I started dieting I wore a size 24...

Proper food might be boring, but it's good for you. If you are healthy inside you are beautiful outside. If appearance is important for you you should be focusing on YOUR HEALTH. You need to find a good mix between boring but good for you and tasty but bad... and add exercise to become leaner. If you really want that flat tummy and toned arms, that's what you must do!

I really struggle with not eating in between meals. The thing is, I don't even think I eat because I am hungry, it is just habit! I just try and do something else when I feel like I might slip. Like now, I'm on here and ideally I would love some toast lol.

I think that it can be a hard habit to beat in the short term. At the moment I am fine throughout the day but sometimes get a bit picky in the evenings. I keep a stock of alpen light in the house and have one of those or a hightlights hot choc which hits the button!

The weekends are a bit harder for me, this weekend I planned to have a crunchie on saturday night rather than just grabbing several sweet things throughout the day and I enjoyed it far more than I normally would.

Good luck anyway :).

I want to re-up what a few others have said- If you don't have the food, you can't eat it!!!

Then the only "challenge" you have is not to buy more at the grocery store!

I got rid of ALL snacks- and all POSSIBLE snacks. By the end of the week, my pantry is pretty much empty, with an exception of staples like olive oil, sugar, spices, etc. I have NOTHING edible left, except a few canned soups "for emergencies" (like if I cant get to the store or theres a snow storm or something).

I then go shopping every week and only buy what I need for meals, and I keep it very simple.

Now when I get the urge to "eat", I look in the pantry, try to find SOMETHING I can eat, get frustrated because I have nothing, and then give up.

The next day when I step on that scale, I'm certainly thankful I wasn't eating the night before!

Thats personally the ONLY way I could do it. I'm also a big fan of "break yourself of the habit" type of thing. This doesn't mean you CANT have snacks ever again for the rest of your life, but maybe for the next 6 months you have to get rid of all snacks.

I HATE the idea of "healthy" snacks some people mention because if you have healthy snacks, your still in the bad HABIT of snacking- so then when you have unhealthy snacks laying around, 10 months from now, you'll eat them!

Instead if you force yourself to break the habit of snacking- and you have NO snacks even in the house, then 10 months from now you can have unhealthy snacks for other people in the family, or for special events, or whatever, and you won't even crave them!

I've lost 100 lbs. I had to go this route, and now (1.5 yrs later) I have chips, peanuts, crackers, cookies- all different kinds of unhealthy snacks in my pantry, but I don't even have the urge to grab them anymore. I spent YEARS trying not to eat unhealthy snacks before I just forced myself to break the habit!

I want to re-up what a few others have said- If you don't have the food, you can't eat it!!!

Then the only "challenge" you have is not to buy more at the grocery store!

I got rid of ALL snacks- and all POSSIBLE snacks. By the end of the week, my pantry is pretty much empty, with an exception of staples like olive oil, sugar, spices, etc. I have NOTHING edible left, except a few canned soups "for emergencies" (like if I cant get to the store or theres a snow storm or something).

I then go shopping every week and only buy what I need for meals, and I keep it very simple.

Now when I get the urge to "eat", I look in the pantry, try to find SOMETHING I can eat, get frustrated because I have nothing, and then give up.

The next day when I step on that scale, I'm certainly thankful I wasn't eating the night before!

Thats personally the ONLY way I could do it. I'm also a big fan of "break yourself of the habit" type of thing. This doesn't mean you CANT have snacks ever again for the rest of your life, but maybe for the next 6 months you have to get rid of all snacks.

I HATE the idea of "healthy" snacks some people mention because if you have healthy snacks, your still in the bad HABIT of snacking- so then when you have unhealthy snacks laying around, 10 months from now, you'll eat them!

Instead if you force yourself to break the habit of snacking- and you have NO snacks even in the house, then 10 months from now you can have unhealthy snacks for other people in the family, or for special events, or whatever, and you won't even crave them!

I've lost 100 lbs. I had to go this route, and now (1.5 yrs later) I have chips, peanuts, crackers, cookies- all different kinds of unhealthy snacks in my pantry, but I don't even have the urge to grab them anymore. I spent YEARS trying not to eat unhealthy snacks before I just forced myself to break the habit!

Loved your post Glowworm;)
Wise comments, made us think!

I agree. I keep nothing in the house now so that I can't snack. My o/h even agreed to stop buying crisps for him. I did say he could get some but he would have to put them in the attic where I could never get them :) my only temptation is bread....

smallhours said:
Sex always seems like a feasabile altenetive to me, better than Knitting at any rate.

Yeah if you have it on tap lol!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back