borderline liver function test and CD

muhly

hi!

I'm on day 5, in ketosis, and feeling a little grumpy, so I started googling things.

In November, long before CD, I had a blood test and the results came back as borderline. I never had to see a doctor, so I assumed it couldn't be *that* serious, could it? I haven't given it much thought until today!

I'll be honest, it was because of excessive drinking and obviously I'm overweight, so I just assumed that CD -getting good nutrition- and not drinking at all would only help the situation.

but now I've been googling and there are all kinds of posts on ketosis straining the liver and kidneys, and heightening liver enzymes, which is the thing that I tested very high for in the first instance.

but there are also a lot of 'scare-mongering' articles about VLCD's being the devil, so it's a very convoulted area to research. I don't know what to believe.

who is telling the truth?

I'm just posting to see if anyone else knows any more on the subject than me? my doctors have been ZERO help, like I say, after the test, it was the receptionist who gave me the results!

I desperately want to lose weight, but I don't want to damage myself in the process! am I at risk? any advice would be a HUGE help!
:wave_cry::flirt2:

I think I would make an appointment to see the doctor. There is a lot of stuff on the internet about the so called dangers of VLCD's. Your doctor might repeat the test and advise you. Hope you get on OK X

I agree with Wilma x Hope you get some answers x

thanks so much for the reply :)

I wonder if being in ketosis would affect the results though, with all the extra ketones running around us all?

I think it might be a good idea to get my doc's opinion, though I'm very angry at them for not giving me advice in the first place :/

Me: are my blood test results ready please?
Receptionist: yes, your liver function test has come back as borderline
Me: what does that mean, will I need a follow up blood test or a doctors appointment?
Receptionist: no you're ok, we'll just keep an eye on you.
Me 'thinks': HOW?! how can you "keep an eye on me," if, effectively, I never have to come back here?!
Me 'real life': Ok... thanks...

Good luck at the docs, hope u can continue with the diet x

Thanks everyone ill make an appointment this week. I'm still going to stick to the diet until I go, just in case everything's fine -I'm not sure I'd have the willpower to get through Carb headaches etc again, and 1 or 2 more days shouldn't change anything :)

I'll lead with the argument that this can't be worse for my liver than takeaways and wine every other night!

Fingers crossed eh!

Back