BordersGirl's Final Phase to Goal - I lost 6 stone!!

Well it wasn't really the 900 calories that made me feel like I'd blown it, it was the fact that I kicked myself out of ketosis unnecessarily. That was just b****y stupid to be honest. So after I came back from the shops (I'm having a 'feeling fat' day so didn't actually buy anything apart from a couple of bits of bling - good for the bank balance :)) I was hungry so had 2 slices of wholemeal toast and marmite (no spread) but then rather indulgently I had some cheddar afterwards too, and a coffee with milk. The bread was 90 something calories a slice and the cheese probably 200 calories or so. So that's 400 calories. Shocking how it all adds up isn't it! So I ate and still felt hungry and the old me would have gone and got something else but I thought, no wait a while and see how you feel then, so now half an hour later I feel full. So that's 700 calories or so now. Not sure what I'll have tonight. I have some Nutrisaveurs ready meals that I bought to have over Xmas that I never used so maybe I'll have one of those. They're about 250 calories so with some extra veg that might be about right for my 1000ish calories.

Not going to drink this weekend. Did think about it but to be honest I've been without alcohol since Xmas and as it's not a special occasion I'll just give it a miss. I need to work out how to restrict my alcohol intake when I get to goal as I was quite an indulgent drinker pre diet and I can't fix that in 1 weekend. Plenty of time to work that out later on :)

I just wanted to say hello.... and thanks for all your advice i the sections on this forum... they've really helped!!

I start monday!! Thanks again!!! X

Hi Deezer! Good luck on Monday xx

That's so funny, BG. I've been having random thoughts about being teetotal. Well....more specifically only drinking if the drink is really good or it's an especially celebratory situation. I would never ever have expected to have a thought like that....

But empty calories.....they have to really be worth it.

Ali

Lol. I just reread what I posted and I sounded like someone going to AA :). I have never had any thoughts about being teetotal :) but know that I need to cut down a lot when I start to maintain. Weekends and special occasions will be the rule, not every night after work to unwind :). Empty calories are ok, but they have to be infrequent.

I did fancy some fruit today but my OH only really eats apples and I haven't been buying any for myself so the cupboard was bare and I didn't fancy an apple. Might have a glass of orange juice. It's now 7pm and I'm still full from my late lunch. I've had just over 800 calories today by my count which is not enough considering I haven't had any packs so not had the nutrients I would have had. So do I eat despite being not hungry or just leave it? Hmm.

Sorry but how has anyone else not noticed that lotstolose confessing that porridge feels her up lol

and BG , I cant believe how controlled you are being ,it certainly is boding well for maintaining and I really hop ethat it gives you the boost you are hoping for , even if that does mean you beating me in our little competition , Im willing you to order a takeaway tonight ha ha

It's not so much control Phoenix - I genuinely feel stuffed. No takeaways I'm afraid. We live about 10 miles from the nearest one so we don't tend to have impromptu meals. Unless it's in the fridge, cupboard or freezer we go without :).

So I had a few mints and a glass of orange juice. Might have another glass in a minute. I know fruit juices are quite high in calories / sugar but I thought it might help in the regularity department :)

Morning!

Hope it's going well, and you're back in ketosis very soon! You have done remarkabley well so far BG, I hope this gives your metabolism the kick you need to get to goal, you really deserve to get there x

Morning all. I ended up having about 1000 calories yesterday. Pathetic really when I think how many calories I would have consumed without thinking pre diet. Some of it was because I had no food in that allowed me to make good choices! I've only been buying S&S veggies plus stuff for my OH and there was nothing I felt that I should have. Going to go for around the same number of calories today and then back on plan tomorrow. Hope the increase followed by a sharp decrease will help wake things up a bit. I was up a bit on the scales this morning which is not surprising as I've come out of ketosis. Hopefully I'll be back in ketosis on for my WI on Wed tho :)

Morning BG, hope your enjoying your weekend off & you get a good loss at the end of next week xo

Sent by Cupcake using HTC

BG i think you did brilliant sticking to 1000cals well done. I think your rite sometimes you just need a break to kick start the matabolisim again. I hope u get a loss this week at wi

Hi BG, Thought I'd pop in to say hello. I do SW but I seem to be doing the rounds on the forum at the moment!! Can't comment at all on your diet as it is an enigma to me :eek: But well done so far, you've done really well.

I have a collie too, her name is Dita and she is 4. She's a lunatic!
428700_10151218430555024_660655023_22367582_1290508336_n.jpg

Look forward to getting to know you, JVS x

Hi Jez! Love Dita's ears :). I have 6 collies (I bred them all) and a sheltie too. I don't think mine would be too impressed with the clothing tho :).

Here are my crew:

Karen+phone+069.jpg

Here are my crew:

Karen+phone+069.jpg

Aw wow, proper collie's!! I used to have a dog too but he sadly passed away last year, I was gutted. Here is a photo of Barney & Dita when Dita was about 8 weeks:
n599075542_4770997_7141.jpg

She would not leave him alone!! He was 14 on that photo :D

Dita is a very temperamental collie, we have some trouble with her agression. I've seen all sorts of behaviourists and trainers, professional dog showers etc and although they help to a point they all say "It's the breed". She cannot abide anyone leaning over me, you know if I'm sat on the couch or something, she'll run full pelt and butt them. She's a bit of a nightmare really but I wouldn't be without her :rolleyes: Barney was the opposite, the most laid back dog ever, but Dita is scared of everything. I take it you don't have this trouble with your lot, haha x

Is she farm bred? The sort of collies that farmers like are the ones that aren't that sociable really. They want a dog to bond to them rather than disappearing off for a fuss with anyone who arrives on the farm. Sounds like she is guarding you to some extent and keeping others away from you so a jealousy thing. Collies can also be quite what I call 'reactive' and the slightest noise or something happening will send them into orbit, and they're fast learners so learn bad behaviours just as quickly as good ones. Does she play with toys? I'd probably try to distract her when that sort of behaviour was likely to happen. So maybe get the person she is likely to do it to play with her a little using a toy and then have a toy on hand to be ready to distract her when she starts to run at them. Does she do it to people she knows, or strangers?

We can't be too sure of her origins. We had been to the Dog's Trust about getting another Collie and one day they called us and said they'd had a puppy come in, pretty good condition, but it seemed someone had bought her as a pet and couldn't cope although they must have only had her a week max :eek: So we took her, because I couldn't leave her there even though we weren't looking for a puppy. The dog's trust seemed to think she was farm bred and the characteristics you have detailed certainly support that.

She doesn't have a problem in general with strangers, she is ok with strangers coming into the house but she doesn't like them going into other parts of the house- as long as they stay in the living room it's fine. And she is happy to play with them too. Unfortunately this jealousy problem occurs with anyone- my OH, parents, nieces and nephews...it started about 4 months ago, when I initially contacted my vet, behaviourist and trainer they all asked the same question: "Are you pregnant?" But I'm not so I don't know what has kicked her off with this!! Luckily I recognise when it might happen so we are on top of it- playing certainly puts her off.

She was always a bit of a loon but became noisephobic when, at 8 months, a conservatory roof fell on her. She wasn't injured but now she flees at the smallest bang or creak. Also, I've moved 3 times since I got her, I think it's only just that is beginning to feel settled in our house. AND, i've been in 2 relationships since having her so I think she had an initial mistrust of my OH as she was like "Where has that other one gone?" and then Barney died :( So I can understand why she might be a bit unsettled.

It's as bad as having children!!

She looks as if she is farm / working bred. The smooth coated ones are much more popular on farms where their coats don't get laden down with mud and muck after a day on the farm. Most pet and show ones are bred with longer coats, plus because they're not being bred for working a laid back temperament is more valued when they're being bred as family pets and temperament is inherited to some extent.

Mine are a halfway house really, bred from working lines as I only sell them to people who do some sort of work with them, but because they will all live in houses temperament is a factor too so they can't be the very sharp ones that farmers might breed from. That said I have one who is a bit of a guarder and who would probably bite someone if they broke into the house or garden. Not enough to do serious damage I think but enough that they'd know about it. She's ok if we're here and people visit tho as our acceptance of that person gives her the message that they're ok but the guarding instinct is definitely in her make up.

Collies can be quite noise sensitive (I have a couple like that) and you'll often find that the younger dogs take their cues from the older ones. So if your old dog was non reactive in this sort of situation she will have picked up on that and taken her lead from him. Now that he's no longer there her stable influence has gone, and her own natural temperament is starting to come to the fore, and her way of dealing with things is very different from his. Plus you're all she has left as she probably had a good bond with him too. That's what it sounds like to me anyway. She will have gone through a period of adjustment when he died and then the behaviour started to manifest after that. I'm guessing he went 6 - 8 months ago perhaps?

I'm guessing that you are the one she bonds with so anyone else is seen to be a potential threat to the attention you give her. So it sounds like jealousy guarding with a bit of territorial guarding thrown in for good measure as per her being uncomfortable with people wandering round the house. Add to that the fact that she's also nervous so likely to be more reactive to different situations and you get the dog you have.

To some extent this is something that is 'in' the working breed but I wouldn't just accept that this is the case. Take her many places to ensure she gets plenty of exposure to different situations and learns to deal with them, and if you can have her in other people's houses with you sitting on the sofa and see if the same thing happens or whether it's just connected to your / her own house. If it is just your house (my guarder would only guard her own house, never anyone elses) then you know that it's the location she's guarding as opposed to just you. If it happens elsewhere then it's you she's guarding. If you can work that out it helps as knowledge is power, and understanding why she does it is important so that you can then devise a plan to help.

I've never used them but some people use herbal remedies to assist with this. So something like this:

Calm Down! - CSJ Herbs for Dogs - CSJK9 Ltd.

Or some people use a few drops of Bach Rescue Remedy and swear by it, but as I said I've never used anything like that so can't recommend it per se.

I'm no behavourist by the way, I just have many years experience of dealing with this breed :)

Back