Brand new to slimfast, some advice please

JaniceH

Hi All :)
Two years ago I did the Cambridge Diet, stuck to it religiously and lost three stone in three months. However due to a back injury and not being mobile for ages and some traumatic events in my life it has slipped back on again. I cant afford to do Cambridge Diet again so I thought I would try Slimfast as it enables me to eat some real food which is what I really missed being on the CD.

I do have some questions though, which I wondered if you could answer.

I was planning on having a shake for breakfast, then a snack midmorning, a shake for lunch, a snack mid afternoon and then a sensible tea. Is that what most people do?

Ive read on here that snacks should be 100 calories but the SF website says 95, why the difference?

Can I drink tea with skimmed milk as well as my two litres of water? Is the skimmed milk to be taken out of my snack allowance?

Is there a good online calorie calculator? Ive only ever done point counting (yes Ive done weight watchers too :rolleyes:). Never counted a calorie in my life.

Didnt Slimfast used to do readymeals and soup? I cant seem to find them anywhere.

Thankyou
Janice

I was planning on having a shake for breakfast, then a snack midmorning, a shake for lunch, a snack mid afternoon and then a sensible tea. Is that what most people do?

I think it probably is what most people do. I pick and choose. If I'm going out for lunch, then I'll have lunch as my meal, and have a shake for my tea. That's actually one of the things I like about it - the flexibility.

Ive read on here that snacks should be 100 calories but the SF website says 95, why the difference?

Who knows? What's 5 calories between friends. I wouldn't worry about it. My snacks range between 60-120 calories, depending what I have.

Can I drink tea with skimmed milk as well as my two litres of water? Is the skimmed milk to be taken out of my snack allowance?
Technically, I'm sure you should take it out of the snack allowance, but I don't think about it too much. But then, I don't normally have three snacks, so I suppose that covers it.

Is there a good online calorie calculator? Ive only ever done point counting (yes Ive done weight watchers too :rolleyes:). Never counted a calorie in my life.
There are a couple. I can't remember the names off the top of my head, but I was looking at them yesterday. I found the links in the calorie counting forum. I was also looking at some books on Amazon, and considering getting one of those.

Didnt Slimfast used to do readymeals and soup? I cant seem to find them anywhere.

They used to do soup, but they don't any more - just bars, shakes and snacks. Asda do a range called Dropweight, and they do soups. I have some in the cupboard but I haven't tried them yet because I keep forgetting i've got them!

Good luck with it, I hope you enjoy it.

I mostly do this, but also have another 100 cals snack along with my lunch, I find it easier this way. As Rachel said, the good thing about SlimFast is that you can plan it around your day - for example, at work sometimes a buch of us go out to Subway or to a cafe that's near by, and I don't fret and think 'i'm going to have to have a shake!' - I make that my main meal and have my shake later :)

The Slimfast snacks are 95 cals each, I think maybe they say 95 so that you'll be more likely to stick to their snacks, but 100 is an easier number! Most of the things I have don't add up to 100 though - I love Quavers and French Fries, they're around 87 cals or something like that, and I also have slices of melon and mango from Boots a lot, and that's 63 cals...

Is there a good online calorie calculator?
Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com is good, and I used to use Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, Food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate a lot

Apparently so! I've heard some people say that they've found them in Poundshops and 99p shops, so they seem to have been discontinued! They still do the meal bars though, if you find that you don't want/like the shakes.

Good luck! :D

This is my first week but that's what I'm planning, shake for breakfast, snack, shake for lunch, snack, then dinner and possibly another snack in the evening as that's my worst time for picking at stuff.
I use caloriecount.about.com to track my calories.
They definately used to do soups and pastas and boots had their own range which had soups and pastas too, this was back in 2003 though when I last tried slimfast, the soups were lovely.

Since all of your questions have been answered all I can say is good luck! it's a great diet and if you stick to it you should get some great results.

I personally love myfitnesspal.com for a free calorie counter :)

Lis x

Good luck on SF its really flexible and i know for me i can fit it round my life no matter what im doing

Back