Breakfast and weight-loss

Mr_Wombat

Gold Member
OK, I have heard conflicting things about whether or not eating a breakfast helps in the quest to lose weight.

Before starting my weight-loss mission I very rarely ate breakfast, and would hold off until lunchtime to eat, but have started having a slice of toast in the morning with my coffee to see if it makes a difference either way. Certainly, it's too early for me to tell yet, but I wondered if anyone can please clear up once and for all the pros and cons of having the early meal, and maybe what things to enjoy in the morning?

For me it's useful because by making a conscious effort to choose breakfast I'm less likely to snack on biscuits etc. Also I'm more likely to choose a sensibly portioned lunch rather than think "I can have a bigger lunch because I didn't eat breakfast".

To be fair though only really getting into this ("this" being the d word that I'm trying to avoid becuase the d word has always failed before) properly this week but it is something I've noticed before.

Thanks for the reply wheels, yes that is a way to look at it that I hadn't considered before.

What things do you have for breakfast?

If I get up early enough I try to eat some kind of cereal at home. Else it's marmite (when I can resist the jam) on toast at work.

If I'm bad it's a Pret a Manger egg and bacon or egg and tomato baguette. Bad becuase of the money and 372 calories (not a disaster) and 19.9g fat (not so great) but it is lovely and stops my tummy rumbling.

I was deceived by those yogurt things though. Had one this week from Eat: banana, honey, yogurt and grapenuts - 441 calories! I know it was good stuff in it but even so.

For the first 2 years of maintaining, every month I experimented with something. Breakfast was one of those 'studies'.

Can't comment on the metabolism thing, as I should imagine it would take a while for the increase to really show up on the scales. Can comment on my experience with calories consumed and how I felt.

Week 1 - with brekkie
Week 2 - without brekkie
Week 3 - with brekkie
Week 4 - without brekkie :)

I found I could go without breakfast and not feel hungry, but when I did have breakfast...unless it was certain things....I would be much hungrier throughout the morning.

Contrary to other research, I actually ate more for lunch when I didn't have breakfast. This might have been because I subconsciously felt I could 'afford' it.

The biggest difference I noticed, and one I wasn't expecting at all, was that I tended to binge more in the evening when I didn't have breakfast.

this has nothing to do with my hunger signals, I just seemed to have much more aggressive cravings.

On the days I had a good breakfast (fav being porridge with fruits and yoghurt), plus a healthy lunch and dinner, I rarely overate in the evenings:confused:

As I said earlier, this didn't really have anything to do with hunger. In fact the calorie levels could be pretty much identical. I just seemed to have more aggressive cravings in the evening when I didn't have a wholesome breakfast.

I always eat breakfast- bowl of muesli and semi-skimmed milk every morning. It's not especially low fat but I need something that's going to keep me going.

Occasionally if I don't have a proper breakfast I find not that I get hungrier sooner, but that my urge to snack when I come home in the evenings is almost overpowering.

I find the best way for any diet (that involves food) is to eat little and often. I always make sure I have healthy snacks to hand so that I never feel deprived. I always have breakfast even if it's only a cereal bar as it starts your body working for the day

I have breakfast too its usually some kind of cerial like musli but in the past I used to have fruit, I try to avoid bread, although sometimes have a slice for breakfast.

I always have breakfast, usually 2 boiled eggs with 3 slices of ww brown danish toast topped with laughing cow and marmite, or 2 weetabix with skimmed milk and splenda on top. If I don't have breakfast I'm starving by 10 o'clock, and these are the only two breakfasts that keep me going til lunch. I also believe it stops your body going into starvation mode and slowing your metabolic rate down. I try to snack only on fruit or shape yogurt between meals.

Back