Breakfast

Tealight

Morning all :)

I'm just wondering if when we don't eat breakfast do our bodies go into starvation mode and store fat?

I normally finish my daily plan of food around 8pm, I maybe have a couple of cuppa's before bed and don't break my fast till about 10:45am the next day.

Would this affect my weightloss?

How long if true do you think it would take for our bodies to go into starvation mode?

I never really thought about it till this week when i looked at my dairy and thought 12hrs plus is a long time between eating.

What are your thoughts on this Ladies/Gents?

:)

Good question - I don't usually eat breakfast til nearly 3 hours after I got up (on work days so 5/6 days a week) I wonder if I'd be better off having it earlier or nibbling something first thing then having main breakfast later?

It takes 72 hours for your body to go into starvation mode so I wouldn't worry about having breakfast late. The only thing is that it takes 50cal to start up your metabolism in the morning (ie obviously your metabolism is slower when you sleep!) I used not to eat breakfast until I found that out, so not I make sure to always have breakfast-even if it's small (at least 50cals!)
The reason everyone says to have breakfast is many people that don't have breakfast, tend to eat more food throughout the day than someone that does have breakfast so are more likely to put on weight.
Hope that helps!

It takes 72 hours for your body to go into starvation mode so I wouldn't worry about having breakfast late. The only thing is that it takes 50cal to start up your metabolism in the morning (ie obviously your metabolism is slower when you sleep!) I used not to eat breakfast until I found that out, so not I make sure to always have breakfast-even if it's small (at least 50cals!)
The reason everyone says to have breakfast is many people that don't have breakfast, tend to eat more food throughout the day than someone that does have breakfast so are more likely to put on weight.
Hope that helps!

That does help thank you, didn't know about the 50cal thing either.

The thing is this morning I had a Kelloggs Chewy bar at about 7:30am and i'm bloody famished now lol.

So it may be better for me to wait to have a later one as i wouldn't of kick started my metabolism and felt so hungry.

Hmmm will have to think about this.

Thanks again for the info hutchie :)

But its a good thing to kick start your metabolism because then you are burning calories and thats what want to happen. If you are hungry then eat lol!

My working enviroment does not allow me to just graze on drink/food when ever I like or if I am hungry lol

They are classed as contaminates.

I think I will stick to the late brekkie as I shouldn't go into starvation mode.

I never used to be but i am now a firm believer that you can eat food right upto you go to bed and i do everyday. Im not saying have a full on meal but i always have some ryvita with laughing cow triangle and a light scrape of peanut butter on.

But to answer your question yes you should have some breakfast. I always have mine within the first 45 mins of waking. Your body will be wanting some food to fuel it for the start of the day.

When i was big i wouldnt eat anything until after 5pm no breakfast lunch anything and when i got home i wouldnt stop eating and thats how i put all my weight on. I now have 6-8 meals a day of varying sizes.

Thanks for your replies :)

I know exactly what you mean Cavegirl, I've tried to eat early too but as you say I am starving by 10am.

I'm gonna stick to what my body is used too and not change things.

That does help thank you, didn't know about the 50cal thing either.

The thing is this morning I had a Kelloggs Chewy bar at about 7:30am and i'm bloody famished now lol.

So it may be better for me to wait to have a later one as i wouldn't of kick started my metabolism and felt so hungry.

Hmmm will have to think about this.

Thanks again for the info hutchie :)

It might help if you have something a bit more substantial for breakfast. I know if I just had a ceral bar I would be starving within half an hour!!

Well if I don't eat until my first break at 10:45am I'm not famished, it's only if I do eat early I'm starving, because I've kick started my metabolism.

I was wondering this morning that if i didn't eat for 12hrs plus was it going to effect my weight loss or if I'd go into starvation mode.

Hutchie's and Cavegirl's replies have pretty much put my mind at ease now.

Looking at the replies in the 'whats for breakfast' thread, I just couldn't eat that much food early in the morning.

Back