Breaking the barriers and making a change.

pnewton75

Starting Again
Breaking the barriers and making a change.

14/06/2011

+2.5 pounds on at the scales last night! Wow….. I was expecting a much bigger gain after being in Tunisia for 2 weeks. I hadn’t gone all SW whilst over there basically I just avoided pizza and chips for 2 weeks and also stayed away (most of the time) from the sweet table!

As with most of the people I talk to at class it isn’t the food that causes the gains it the alcohol that does it so I guess by staying off the beer whilst I was away and only having a few nights on the wine I guess this Food Optimising stuff is part of me now, a habit, a lifestyle, a change?

My journey starts back on the 1st Feb 2011 when I turfed up at Jill’s class in Sedgefield, I’d been there before (a couple of previous attempts) so knew I’d be one of about 3 men at class, had a vague idea about Extra Easy and Syns but even more conscious that I was at my heaviest point in my life – 21st 9lbs as it turned out on the scales……. Fast forward to now and I’m still attending Jill’s class but now in Ferryhill on a Monday and I’m down to 20 st 7.5lbs (including the gain this week) and I feel happier, healthier and like I’ve made a change but I have a barrier looming as I can’t remember the last time I weighed under 20st.

Which leads me onto this diary, basically I’ll be coming on every now and again to update how I am feeling, what I’ve been doing, and it’s just for me – I’m happy for others to read and comment, and please do so but mainly I need this to help push me on in the weeks I lose motivation. Gone are the days (hopefully) of losing 7lb one week to put on 2lb the next and 2lb the following …. I want consistency, dedication and a continual reminder of why I am doing this – why am I doing this? Why are we all doing this?

Paul – you are doing this to shed all the weight and health issues you are gaining and to make a lifestyle change not just for yourself but for your family and everyone you know. Don’t forget how great it feels when lose weight….. but more importantly don’t forget how great it feels now that you can go for a run without feeling like you’re going to pass out!

That’s all for now.
P

Last edited:
14/06/2011 – Part 2

Been giving a lot of thought and looking through old food diaries of mine and I’ve come to some conclusions – I don’t eat enough superfree except when I come off Extra Easy and when I exercise every day I do lose more weight than when I am not as disciplined and only go out a few days during the week (what a shock eh!! Haha).

Therefore as of now (9.58am) I am switching to red days and substituting pasta, rice and potato for frozen veg which will up my superfree to at least a 1/3 per day! and committing to walking a minimum of 3 miles a day for the foreseeable future, also I’m having no alcohol at all Friday 24th June and even then it’ll just be a couple of glasses of wine or maybe a couple of G&Slimline T’s…. (My wife Sara’s birthday, we’re spending the weekend in North Yorkshire, can’t wait!).

So far today I’ve been out walking with Dodge (our 2 year old Springer Spaniel) for 15 minutes – about a mile then, and have had 2 apples, 2 alpen lights and a litre of water, not a bad start for a Tuesday! (officially my worst day of the week)

P

Last edited:
15/06/2011
So yesterday turned out good for a Tuesday – had a mugshot and an apple for lunch then went for a 2.5 mile walk in my lunch break, just before leaving work had some melon and grapes and got through another 2.5 litres of water – for tea we had chicken breast with cauli, brocc, carrots and green beans (all with some Primula light spread over them) and before bed had a hi fi bar for some syns.

Woke up this morning at 5.45 full of energy and ready for the day ahead, took the dog out for a walk, had 2 alpen light and a litre of water before heading off to work – planning on having a couple of mugshots and a couple apples during the day as won’t be having tea tonight (playing golf at Matfen Hall – approx 5 miles walking :)) – will have a couple of banana’s whilst golfing just to keep me from being hungry. Red days are feeling quite easy, I really like the extra healthy extra’s but only just worked out I can’t have peas for free :-(.

Hope you are all well and ready for a good weight loss this week!

P

Good on you! You seem to be getting back into it!!! Im starting it a new, 1st time on SW. So im actually going at it!

Good luck with your journey! :)

Good on you! You seem to be getting back into it!!! Im starting it a new, 1st time on SW. So im actually going at it!

Good luck with your journey! :)

Cheers! Yeah I'm trying to get back on it - I know it's worth it!
Good luck to you and welcome to SW!!

16/06/2011

The plan for yesterday worked well – 4 litres of water drank, mug shot for lunch with tomoatoes and cucumber on the side and no tea – Golf went well, shot 93 which is good for me, the rained stayed off and it was very enjoyable …. I reckon I walked about 7 miles yesterday (including 2.5 miles at work during lunch). Didn’t bother with the banana’s as wasn’t feeling that hungry (just made do with water and a bottle of Diet Pepsi). I did have a pint of Strongbow and a few peanuts at the 19th hole but I figure I deserved them after no tea and all that walking….. I know! Bad Paul.

Similar plan for today as have cricket straight from work so alpen light x2, apples x2, banana, tomatoes, cucumber and tuna for eats at work today (keeping the tuna and salad until just before 5 so not hungry whilst out playing). No tea again – not sure I can sustain this!! Hee!
Going to hopefully get a walk at lunch today but it’s raining quite heavy so we’ll have to wait and see.

P

17/06/2011

Cricket was rubbish last night, we got hammered – luckily for me I got to bat and bowl for a while which chews up the calories and at one point in the field everywhere I went the ball followed so I reckon that was enough exercise for the day.

Feeling really good about how much exercise I’m doing and what I’m eating as an example here was what I ate yesterday;

8am 2x alpen light; 1 x banana
1145am mugshot roast chicken with dried chillies
330pm 1 x banana; 1 x apple; 5 x laughing cow light
930pm cucumber, tomato and tuna; 1 hifi bar

Really motivated at the minute, wish I could bottle it up and keep it in reserve for the harder weeks ahead!

Plan for the weekend? Not a lot really – housework and trying to avoid the wine.

P

20/06/2011

Well the weekend was ok – drank wayyyy too much on Friday night whilst we had friends over (2 bottles of red wine) and had a Chinese – but stuck to Chicken Chop Suey with Boiled Rice to try and cut down on the syns. To “try” and counter this I ate very little on Saturday after a full SW friendly English breakfast of course!

Sunday was decent – went for a run on the morning, got a nice new top and coat of my son for Father’s Day and then a trip to Frankie and Benny’s for lunch – I hadn’t realised how SW unfriendly that place is! Completely shocked when looking through the menu, decided on King Prawn Skewer for starter and then the grilled Chicken breast sandwich for main and I stuck to Diet Coke rather than getting a lager…….. here’s hoping the weigh in tonight is kind.

Summary for the week – Good start but let myself down over the weekend, if I have any loss this week I will be really happy, set myself a 3lb target but have a feeling it’ll be 1lb at the most!

Hope you all had a good weekend.

P

True it was fathers day so i guess I was allowed a little slip - shame about the massive one on Fri night! haha

20/06/2011 – Part 2

The work day is almost over, YAY = weigh in less than 4 hours away, BOO!

Today I have been mainly “nil by mouth”;
Breakfast = 2 x alpen light and an apple
Lunch = Cucumber, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Tuna, Chilli Flakes.
And a sneaky Kit Kat – here’s hoping the weigh in isn’t as bad as I’m thinking – I know I’m a pessimist but at least that means I’m never badly surprised. Haha!

Speak soon

P

hey pnewton hope you dont mind me popping by your diary iam on hols for 5 days next week and off to carribean all inclusive in sept could be drastic lol i do agree the alcohol doesnt help but its good you have got back into it good luck on the rest of your journey

clair xxx

hope the scales are kind to u tonight :)

hey pnewton hope you dont mind me popping by your diary iam on hols for 5 days next week and off to carribean all inclusive in sept could be drastic lol i do agree the alcohol doesnt help but its good you have got back into it good luck on the rest of your journey

clair xxx

Wow - enjoy your hols - I'm mighty jealous!!! We were lucky as there was loads of meat and veg at every meal whilst we were away - king prawns! yum!!

Of course I don't mind you popping by, the more the merrier.

21/06/2011

First thing s first – Weigh IN! Lost 2lbs! Well chuffed with that as I thought my weekend of excess had destroyed my good work from last week…. Feel even more motivated to smash it this week as fancy a 2nd Slimmer of the Week award and some free fruit! Haha

Last night was good after weigh in – didn’t have tea really just a nice fruit salad with pineapple, banana, kiwi, strawberry and a Banana Custard Muller light over it.

Realised I haven’t walked that far for a few days so plan to get back on it tomorrow on my lunch hour, I have however managed to drink at least 4 litres of water every day so I’m planning on that continuing (along with permanent Red days) even though it makes me pee like a race horse.

Hope you all have good weigh ins this week and are feeling healthy and motivated to succeed!

P

I have just read your diary for the first time and I am really impressed at how much exercise you do!
2lb is a great weight loss this week and as you say especially with the weekend as it was.
Good luck for this week I have a sneeky feeling that you will do really well this week as you sound so positive :D

I have just read your diary for the first time and I am really impressed at how much exercise you do!
2lb is a great weight loss this week and as you say especially with the weekend as it was.
Good luck for this week I have a sneeky feeling that you will do really well this week as you sound so positive :D

Thanks for your kind words, hope you are right about next weigh in!

I have found that exercise and not drinking alcohol as the main ways that I lose weight (no surprises really) - I do have to force myself to go out and walk/run every day, luckily with having a dog I have to go out a couple of times each day come rain or shine.

The golf and cricket are no chore at all! :)

How is your week going?

Thanks tillymax - yeah the water does mess up our sleep patterns but it's good for us..... isn't it? ;-)
Have a great day!

Back