Breastfeeding and Slimming World

Alex now huge! My back is breaking :/ He now measures 68cm, weight 16lbs 6oz making him 91st centile for length and 75th for weight. Roughly the size of a 6 month old baby.

Packed away all his 3-6 mo stuff and broke out the 6month + stuff. Where is my baby going?!?!

He's now able to almost sit up, hold his head up most of the time and is constantly grabbing stuff to put in his mouth.

HV was out gave us the weaning talk - said to try and keep him on milk for as long as possible - I'm trying but he's wanting to feed every 2.5 hours and lots of sleep. He's only 16 weeks so can't have ANYTHING at all anyway til 17 weeks, but I'm debating trying him on some baby rice soon. I'm not sure if the mouth + grabbing is him learning and exploring his environment or if he is hungry?

Asked HV and got "every baby different" so feel just as confused as I did before.

389000_10150517231489745_532654744_11315916_411326389_n.jpg

Awww Lexie, he's GORGEOUS! So sweet looking! Where solids are concerned I would definitely wait until he's at least 6 months old. Babies are very curious creatures at around 4 months plus and putting stuff in their mouth is how they explore things around them. They put EVERYTHING in their mouth lol, so it's definitely not linked to hunger.

It's important that you hold off with solids because the introduction of solids means the introduction of new bacteria into baby's gut and at 4 months his digestive system is not mature enough to filter the bacteria without getting sick. Also babies start to lose iron from 6 months and studies show that babies who are fed on breastmilk or formula alone (no solids) for at least 7 months have a much higher iron store.

I know it's exciting starting solids but wait till bub's at least 6 months and when you do start solids, you'll probably wish for the easy days when all you needed to do was pop your boob in his mouth! LOL!

Awww Lexie, he's GORGEOUS! So sweet looking! Where solids are concerned I would definitely wait until he's at least 6 months old. Babies are very curious creatures at around 4 months plus and putting stuff in their mouth is how they explore things around them. They put EVERYTHING in their mouth lol, so it's definitely not linked to hunger.

It's important that you hold off with solids because the introduction of solids means the introduction of new bacteria into baby's gut and at 4 months his digestive system is not mature enough to filter the bacteria without getting sick. Also babies start to lose iron from 6 months and studies show that babies who are fed on breastmilk or formula alone (no solids) for at least 7 months have a much higher iron store.

I know it's exciting starting solids but wait till bub's at least 6 months and when you do start solids, you'll probably wish for the easy days when all you needed to do was pop your boob in his mouth! LOL!

thanks - I don't want to start him yet - I felt it was too soon, but she made me feel a bit like like a dafty. She always leaves me more confused than when I started

bunny - alex didnt smile for me til about 8 weeks

Well done fern that's fab!
I weigh tomorrow after my first week back on SW, hoping for high numbers!!

Well we've moved onto 100% formula now - Bella is just really hungry and I couldn't keep up.
But I'll keep popping on here to see how everyone is doing.

Bella is doing really well, when she was weighed Thursday she's put on 11.5oz in 6 days! She's 7lb 7.5oz now at 4 weeks old and making up for being born so little!

We went to our first mum and baby club today, and Bella showed how much she enjoyed by pooing through her nappy onto the pretty clothes I'd put her in, and being sick everywhere!! Bless her!!
It's a bit old for her really, with toys and playmats etc so can't wait until she's more aware of everything there - it'll be lovely!

well done Fern :)

I know what you mean about baby group - I take charles and he is so young. at the end of the session they do a sing song and charles slept through it all till 10 mins at the end and everyone was in a group and silent and charles farted, oh my days so funny. I find it a challenge as I struggle socially especially with other babies and had to leave 10 mins early as the sensory overload for me got too much. It is a constant challenge with Charles but also very rewarding and he did his fisr proper smile yesterday night, melted my heart <3

That's hilarious bunny, a story to tell when he's older! Bless his first proper smile, Bella has started doing some sweet half smiles, and did a special one for her daddy when he came home tonight.

Need to start on getting her sleeping cracked, at the mo she doesn't settle until about 1am then sleeps through to 6-7am. Hoping to try and get her sleeping earlier, waking earlier for a feed then going back to sleep again!

Hi ladies hope u don't mind I thought I would start warming up on this thread lol

I breastfed Jacob but only lated 4 days and was devestated! I cried so much but I was in pain which is why I stopped. I had no support but told "it doesn't matter ur too young to prob do it any way" I was 20!! Totally the wrong response!! Now I am trained to support breastfeeding grrrrr and knowing what I know now it was only cuz milk came in, if I fed through it or roughy to express I may have stood a chance doing it longer...

Anyway... Breastfeeding workshop Thursday should be interesting, already watched all the breastfeeding DVD. And got my local bossom buddies support group days wrote up for me attend when baby is here and local and national support numbers in my phone.

It's lovely to read how u all are getting on!!

Fern yes you might find that it's less lively on this thread due to having baby lol but that prob won't change till they are about 2 lol hahaha :) I kno I will barely be on here when baby arrives!! School run, baby, Jacob homework and cooking and everything.... Ohhh myyyy god lol I'm sure I will get into a routine tho!! Even tho nervous as I had support from my mom last time which helped get Jacob to
Routine :/ nervous this time!!

Xxx

Start weight: 14s 7lb pre-preg: 13s13lb current: 14s 1lb

Leeanne, welcome. Good luck with the breastfeeding this time. I was 20 having my first and I found it so hard at first, I think I only managed through the 4 day engorgement because I'd been back in hospital because bubba was jaundiced so I had midwives on tap. You will be fine this time, you sound determined and that's half of the battle.

All is fine my end. I'm plodding on with the weight loss, mini gain this week but I'm ok with that, the trend is downwards. My baby is sooo close to walking but crawling is still faster. 12 month jabs today....should be fun. (detect the sarcasm).

I hope you are all well.

Fern, 4lbs!!! Go Fern, go Fern!!!!

Hey ladies, we're not sleeping well at the moment. Seem to be going through a 13 week growth spurt/sleep regression stage and my daughter has come down with tonsillitis so I've been replacing sleep with chocolate. Still 1lb loss this week though.
Can't wait for it to be over so I can feel human again and focus properly on weight loss :whip:. Anyone else struggling with sleep at the moment?

We haven't even got close to establishing a sleep pattern yet! At the moment I'm taking Bella upstairs around 10, giving her a feed, then she's waking at around 1.30 and again at 4/4.30ish when I'll come downstairs to let hubby have the last couple of hours of undisturbed sleep before he goes to work. then I have a couple of hours on the sofa.

On the plus side in my first week back on the wagon I lost 4.5lbs yay!!!

Sarah don't worry your not exected to do so early, they don't know the difference between day and night so there sleep patterns are random this early on in the game x

Mine also has a feed at 10 ish then 1ish then 4ish then 7ish give or take between 2-03hrs sleep at a time. I am lucky that my partener is my career so he looks after me so we take it in turns to do the feeding work together :)

we love baby classes! we do gymboree, baby massage, and we took Penny swimming, she LOVED it, so will keep that a regular weekly thing now. Just a shame it gets so cold in these months, she crys somthing awful when we get out :(

I can't wait to take Bella swimming. Found out our local pool does classes on a Saturday which is great as hubby can come to. Will have to give them a call to see if there's a waiting list.

It's funny how your body helps you adapt to the lack of sleep, I used to be dying if I didn't have 8 hours, but I had terrible trouble sleeping in the last couple of months of pregnancy... Glad I did, it gave me a taste of what was to come. I am just incredibly thankful that we splashed out on some fab new sofas from dfs - perfect for snatching a snooze when I can!

I can not wait to start swimming with Charles - as soon as we have his first set of injections were going to the classes. I borught a float as well for him on ebay :) I also signed up to baby massage but got to wait until he is 10wks old at my baby centre

It is all about the comfort when you feel like poo, I don't sleep much as a result of my meds as they make you wide away, grrr. But I take Charles out regular for an hr of walking to keep exercise for me going and he and I appreciate the fresh air.

Fantastic weight losses fern n sarah! Have i missed ur labour story sarah? Hope u dont stop posting on here cos ur now bottle feeding. Its lovely being able to stay in touch with everyone having been in touch for months......hope this makes sense lol x

Back