Bringing food on the plane

lolacola

Silver Member
So I'm working away this Wednesday for the first time since I started SW.

I've to be up at 4am on Wednesday morning to get to the airport on time, and will not be home until about 10pm that night.

Usually I would grab food at the airport, but I know the options at Stansted and Gatwick are never great, plus I'll be on the go all day in between so I'll not have time to get a proper lunch.

Thinking of bringing some food with me, but is it OK to do this. I've tried Googling but all I get are answers from the USA which is not applicable to me. Also, does anyone have any ideas of what I could bring? Really don't want to have to get convenience food if it can be avoided.

Cheers :D

away where?
if it's internal flight then I shouldn't think it's a problem, but if it's abroad then I wouldn't..
also the security issues with no bottles etc..

I did this going to new York in november, I just had to declare it on my card and eat it before I got there, I also do it if I travel with work on business to the UK from Dublin. I usually bring a tub with chopped apple, grapes and melon with a mullerlight on top for breakfast flight & throw a mugshots in your bag so during the day when you can get tea/coffee you can have this instead and it will keep you full.

I sometimes bring Ryvita with marmite and a banana for snacky moments. It's better to be prepared and stay on track, it works for me :)

You must ask the airline. Either look at the airline's website or ring them up.

This is because each airline could have its own rules about this, as well as any rules that your destination country will have - and this varies from country to country.

I remember reading about someone who got into terrible trouble when she took a banana from her airline meal tray off the plane - she was detained at the airport for some time. I think it was New Zealand, but can't remember for sure. I do know that America has lots of things that you can't take in with you.

Checking with the airline is the only way you are going to know for sure.

We've taken things to Greece with us before, but we make sure we eat it on the plane.. Although MIL takes frozen bacon with her! Lol.

I agree with RegField though, it would be best to check with the airline just for peace of mind.

I go away with work quite a lot, and always have alpen lights and mughots in my bag. Been Searched a few times (I always bleep for some reason on the scanners you walk thru!) and no one has ever said anything about the packets. Worth checking with the airline though to be on the safe side like others have suggested.

So I'm working away this Wednesday for the first time since I started SW.

I've to be up at 4am on Wednesday morning to get to the airport on time, and will not be home until about 10pm that night.

Usually I would grab food at the airport, but I know the options at Stansted and Gatwick are never great, plus I'll be on the go all day in between so I'll not have time to get a proper lunch.

Thinking of bringing some food with me, but is it OK to do this. I've tried Googling but all I get are answers from the USA which is not applicable to me. Also, does anyone have any ideas of what I could bring? Really don't want to have to get convenience food if it can be avoided.

Cheers :D

Do you just want your breakfast food for on the aircraft or do you want it for the whole day ??

If it is just food for on the aircraft no problem. What you pack is down to you, but remember no liquids. You can buy small bottles of water on the airside of the terminal much cheaper than on the aircraft and once you are airside there is no problem. I would pack a plastic container with chopped fruits, I don't know if yogurt on it would count as a liquid, and take a seperate container with some cereal in it to mix with the fruit.

Food for during the day should be asy. At lunchtime you can eat salad and fish or salad and meat and for your return journey why not grab a prepared salad and some ryvitas for on the aircraft.

The mugshot ideas are good too. I always carry a couple of chocolate options in my bag and order a large black coffee and mix the options with them. It is delicious and for me kills all hunger pangs dead. At just 2 syns each you can carry a few of them.

Whoops I have just realised you went yesterday lol !!!!!!

Ah well next time.

What did you take ??

Oh fillymum I only brought an apple and an orange. I was so busy I never got to have anything else, and by the time I got back to the airport I was ravenous, so I got a sandwich from Pret a Manger which I thought was good, but ended up being about 20 syns :cry:

Ah well - I shall be better prepared next time! :D

I got a sandwich from Pret a Manger which I thought was good, but ended up being about 20 syns :cry:

Ah well - I shall be better prepared next time! :D

That is so good if you didn't have any other syns yesterday. Just flexisyn and have 10 today.

Easy Peasy........solved.

hugs xx.

P.S. When I am in the U.K. I love Pret a Manger sandwiches. The variety is mouth watering.

Back