Brown sugar?

Sally_Cinnamon

doesn't have a witty name
I do SW alone and in the States so I don't have access to all those lovely syn books that you get at class...

Anyway, I plan to make a breakfast risotto for breakfast tomorrow--arborio rice, apples, and a variety of spices. Actually, the recipe calls for butter but I'm going to take a risk and leave that out. It's made in the slow cooker overnight.

The recipe calls for 1/3 cup of brown sugar and I have no idea how many syns this will be--it may just be too many for me to consider and I don't have any sweetener in the house right now, well not enough anyway. I think that 1/3 cup is about 2.5 ozs in "real" measurements ;) If anyone can tell me how many syns there are in just an ounce of brown sugar I'd be very grateful...

Thanks so much, I'm so hoping for a yummy breakfast tomorrow...

Thanks, Circes, I appreciate your reply :) And I hadn't thought about having to syn the apples either--I may have to rethink this. I'm wondering if I can make the base risotto with the spices and then just add chopped, raw apple to it--the heat of the risotto should take some of the crunch out of it but it would still be raw and therefore free. I;m also wondering if it's even worth adding sugar during the cooking process, I might be better to just add sweetener to the spiced rice. At this rate the recipe will be nowhere near the original :D :D

Allie, I started a new diary (Gluten Free World or something like that) :) I've been getting to grips with gluten intolerance, gaining extra weight as a result, and having emergency surgery for appendicitis. Glad to be back now though :) And it's so lovely to discover that I've been missed. You all are such a lovely bunch.

hey Sally.

I use the calculation of 1 syn = 20 calories for anything that doesnt have a free food allowance in it. It is very accurate and comes in handy when doing food shopping and looking at what is okay.

If you want to cut the syns down, you could use the splenda brown sugar blend, which is 1 syn for 1 tablespoon.

Back