Brown Vs White

Maggie_Sak

Silver Member
Hi everyone, I would love to know what your opinion is on having white rice and pasta as opposed to the brown or wholewheat version. I have been doing Extra Easy days for as long as I have been on Slimming World, approximately 14 weeks now and I have lost 18lbs in that time. I just wondered whether eating white rice and pasta can affect your weight loss. I know that on red days you only allowed to have brown rice or wholewheat pasta but should this apply to EE and Green as well. I know that white makes you feel hungry quicker and therefore you end up eating more during the course of the day but for me this hasn't been a problem at all. I don't go to meetings so it would be great to hear from you guys instead. Do you find that when you have stick to brown you weight quicker or it doesn't really matter. I just need to boost my weightloss as I feel I could do better, 18lbs in 14weeks is kinda low for me and because I have a long way to go I don't want to get demotivated. I understand that some weeks I may not lose anything at all but it would be nice to lose at least 2lbs once in a while. I'm also wondering if I should start mixing things up and maybe start doing at least some green or red days 2 or 3 times a week. Thanks all for taking the time to read this:D

I'm not entirely sure on the whole brown vs. white front... its an interesting point though.

I would imagine that you would be best to mix up with your red and green days though to keep variety with the time of foods your eating

x

They are both free on EE. I think calorie wise they are the same; the brown versions contain more fibre, I think, which is why you can have them as HEB on a red day. I think you are right in that the brown versions are recommended for weight loss purely due to the fact they fill you up for longer. If feeling hungry between meals is not an issue, then I say stick with the white stuff if you prefer it. I think one of the key messages of SW is to ENJOY food and not feel deprived; I think forcing yourself to eat brown pasta when you really want white is counterproductive.

Thanks guys, I suppose I just need to shake things up a bit and maybe try to do more green and red days. As for the brown stuff, I definitely do prefer white and since I am not starving in between meals I suppose that's ok then right? Also my potions have changed big time, now I only have rice about size of a fist and then apart from protein, I just fill up on loads of superfree. I have been exercising alot so I suppose I am losing inches instead of pounds.

I do EE every day and always have white rice and pasta. I have tried brown rice and wholemeal pasta but really dont like it! I dont find it keeps me fuller for longer or stops me eating as much. I do weigh my pasta and rice though and have whatever is stated as 1 portion on the pack. Half as much as i would have if i wasn't weighing it!! xx

I do EE every day and always have white rice and pasta. I have tried brown rice and wholemeal pasta but really dont like it! I dont find it keeps me fuller for longer or stops me eating as much. I do weigh my pasta and rice though and have whatever is stated as 1 portion on the pack. Half as much as i would have if i wasn't weighing it!! xx

I have never thought about weighing. With the rice i definitely eat only a 1/3 of what I used to so I have cut back on that big time. My weakness is Pasta but thankfully don't eat it that often now. I suppose I just have to persevere, bit by bit.

You dont have to weigh it on EE/green, but i know i am a pasta fiend lol And need some way to take control. I sometimes give myself extra if im hungry, its better for me than feeling hungry after a meal and grabbing a bag of crisps :) I was really shocked the first time i weighed out a suggested portion, which is about 75grams. Baby portion IMO lol. xx

Cazzie26 said:
They are both free on EE. I think calorie wise they are the same; the brown versions contain more fibre, I think, which is why you can have them as HEB on a red day. I think you are right in that the brown versions are recommended for weight loss purely due to the fact they fill you up for longer. If feeling hungry between meals is not an issue, then I say stick with the white stuff if you prefer it. I think one of the key messages of SW is to ENJOY food and not feel deprived; I think forcing yourself to eat brown pasta when you really want white is counterproductive.

Just to clarify, you can't have rice as a HEB on an original day at all-whether its brown or White!
The only thing ill say about the pasta is the wholewheat is an acquired taste, altho I quite like it now :) it's almost crunchy-I love the wholewheat pasta and sauces :) x

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

Not only does the brown rice and pasta fill you up, but it still has all its fibre and vitamins. White stuff is processed and stripped of its goodness. I prefer the wholewheat/grain stuff. More tasty imo, but everyone is different :)

I was really shocked the first time i weighed out a suggested portion, which is about 75grams. Baby portion IMO lol. xx

Yikes :eek: I would be starving by the time I finish eating. A 100g at least makes more sense.

Not only does the brown rice and pasta fill you up, but it still has all its fibre and vitamins. White stuff is processed and stripped of its goodness. I prefer the wholewheat/grain stuff. More tasty imo, but everyone is different :)

As much as I know these two are healthier, I want to be realistic with my eating and I need to know I can enjoy my food. So for me white all the way. The only thing that makes brown win in my books is I would probably eat less of both than I would white. So I guess for that alone, maybe I can mix them up. Half and half lol.

Back