BRUISED TOENAILS.....

JEM

Cambridge Diet Counsellor
Hi

I have two bruised toenails from running that feel as if they are about to fall off at any given moment......has anyone suffered from this or have any advice.......help!!

Jem x

Yeah.. its happened twice to me on my right big toe.. if its loose.. it will eventually fall off (icky i know).. but it does grow back.. and fairly quickly too..

x x x

Yeah.. its happened twice to me on my right big toe.. if its loose.. it will eventually fall off (icky i know).. but it does grow back.. and fairly quickly too..

x x x

Hiya....how's you?

URGH, I'm so squeamish about stuff like that!!!!!!

How long does the pain last? They suddenly appeared after my run today......:cry: I'm such a wuss!

Im good.. Hows you? How did you hurt your foot?
it wasnt sore at all.. trust me.. i am suuuch a wimp.. but it really doesnt hurt.. its just because the nails damaged.. and needs to have a new one.. hehe..

It literally just.. falls off.. and thats it.. it is gross though..
x x x

Im good.. Hows you? How did you hurt your foot?
it wasnt sore at all.. trust me.. i am suuuch a wimp.. but it really doesnt hurt.. its just because the nails damaged.. and needs to have a new one.. hehe..

It literally just.. falls off.. and thats it.. it is gross though..
x x x
Other than manky tootsies, I'm fine and dandy chick!

Haven't hurt my foot......went out for a run this afternoon and was fine, got home took my trainers off and both the nails on my toe next to my big toes were all purple and the nails are all wobbly....think it was friction from my trainers.......

Worked in clarks and saw this all the time - your shoes are too tight around the toe. The press your nail down into the bed and it bursts the blood vessels.

Tip is to cut toenails short, use an emery board to flatten them a little, and get roomier shoesies :D

G'luck xx

Worked in clarks and saw this all the time - your shoes are too tight around the toe. The press your nail down into the bed and it bursts the blood vessels.

Tip is to cut toenails short, use an emery board to flatten them a little, and get roomier shoesies :D

G'luck xx

OMG!! Are you crazy??!!! :eek:

well yes, but this is a common problem :)

well yes, but this is a common problem :)

LOL!

How brave am I.....I've just done what you suggested and it does feel much better.....I will just ignore the fact that I'm totally traumatised by the blood a goo business that came out......wasn't expecting that at all!!! :eek:

Also put my trainers back on to see if they are too small - think they might be a bit big......will go to a proper running shop tomorrow and get fitted for a pair - any excuse to buy new shoesies!

Thanks chick.....

My dad lost his toe nails when he ran a marathon - know your not quite at that stage yet but as your taking this running malarky seriously I would deffo go to a proper running shop and invest in proper shoes made to withstand road running/marathon running..... you wouldn't wanna have to bail out cos of ill fitting shoes now would you..... espec when you've got yourself a new blue night and pink shawl.....lol;)

Well 8impressed with you running chick.....:D

My dad lost his toe nails when he ran a marathon - know your not quite at that stage yet but as your taking this running malarky seriously I would deffo go to a proper running shop and invest in proper shoes made to withstand road running/marathon running..... you wouldn't wanna have to bail out cos of ill fitting shoes now would you..... espec when you've got yourself a new blue night and pink shawl.....lol;)

Well 8impressed with you running chick.....:D

Thanks Chick!

Done a lot of googling on the subject and its apparentlyvery common when running.....guess I'm gonna be wearing dark nail polish all summer!

Off this afternoon to get properly fitted so hopefully that should help! With any luck I'll manage to get a pair that match my shawl perfectly :p

How is life treating you? Looking forward to a proper catch up in Brum.

xx

i had sore toenails too when i was training for the great south run a couple of years ago - i found it happened when my toe nails were even slightly too long and i did get another pair of trainers eventually which really helped too x

Your running shoes are either too tight and low at the front, or you are not doing the laces up tight enough, therefore allowing the feet to slip forwards in the shoes, and the toenails becoming traumatised by rubbing. As others have said, when you are a serious runner, its much better to be properly measured.

The big toenail can take upto a year to grow through in total, so i would guess you're looking at 6 months before it looks normal again, depending on how much you cut off. Leah was correct in suggesting cutting the loose nail back, as otherwise it could get caught in socks, shoes etc and be ripped off. Concerning the nail varnish, if possible, only wear it for special occasions and then remove, as it occludes the nail which needs to breathe, and may possibly start off a fungal infection in the nail, especially when combined with trauma from footwear.

Hope this helps!

Your running shoes are either too tight and low at the front, or you are not doing the laces up tight enough, therefore allowing the feet to slip forwards in the shoes, and the toenails becoming traumatised by rubbing. As others have said, when you are a serious runner, its much better to be properly measured.

The big toenail can take upto a year to grow through in total, so i would guess you're looking at 6 months before it looks normal again, depending on how much you cut off. Leah was correct in suggesting cutting the loose nail back, as otherwise it could get caught in socks, shoes etc and be ripped off. Concerning the nail varnish, if possible, only wear it for special occasions and then remove, as it occludes the nail which needs to breathe, and may possibly start off a fungal infection in the nail, especially when combined with trauma from footwear.

Hope this helps!

Aww thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it :D

I went this afternoon and got fitted for a pair of running shoes. Was there for nearly an hour and he examined my feet, watched the way I walked and then recorded the way I ran. He said I needed shoes with stability so got a couple of pairs of the ones he suggested. I have to say they feel so much better to run in. My nails are better this morning and the guy in the shop had a poke at them and said that he thought the nails might be ok......so fingers crossed!

How's life with you?

Jem x

Aww thanks for all the advice, really appreciate it :D

I went this afternoon and got fitted for a pair of running shoes. Was there for nearly an hour and he examined my feet, watched the way I walked and then recorded the way I ran. He said I needed shoes with stability so got a couple of pairs of the ones he suggested. I have to say they feel so much better to run in. My nails are better this morning and the guy in the shop had a poke at them and said that he thought the nails might be ok......so fingers crossed!

How's life with you?

Jem x

Sounds like your nails are gonna be salvaged! I'm glad you got professional advice in the end, it's very common for serious runners to do damage to their feet!

How far can you run now?? If you're getting really into it, i guess it's time to sponsor you!!:D

I'm ok ta Jem, apart from the weight:sigh:.I am thinking about some sort of surgery now, i cant fight the battle any more.

Sounds like your nails are gonna be salvaged! I'm glad you got professional advice in the end, it's very common for serious runners to do damage to their feet!

How far can you run now?? If you're getting really into it, i guess it's time to sponsor you!!:D

I'm ok ta Jem, apart from the weight:sigh:.I am thinking about some sort of surgery now, i cant fight the battle any more.

Oooh, just been out in my new shoes, what a difference :eek::D

I've now moved off the treadmill and am running outside and I'm actually (dare I say it) loving it - I get a real buzz from seeing how far I've run. I am now up to 8 miles with only a couple of 1 min walk breaks so I'm getting more positive about it now.......maybe the marathon won't kill me!

Sorry to hear that you are having a tough time with the dieting - it's a bloody nightmare. I'm still not sure how I managed to do it and I really don't think I could do it all over again if I put my weight back on. Surgery could be an option (works really well for loads of people) and I guess every avenue is worth exploring in full. Have you ever tried the idot proof diet? I use it for maintenance (I just have whop off portions) and love it. After doing CD its a novelty and total joy to have three yummy meals a day!

Please don't give up hope.......you will get there, I promise!

Keep your chin up chick.....

Jem xx

OMFG...... 8 MILES.... 8 MILES......:wow::wow::wow:

I am so, so impressed with you...... that's amazing...... :worthy::worthy::happy096:

I remember in my yoof when I was a fairly skinny minny (yes really!!) I used to go running with my dad..... I would get back exhausted lie on the sofa for 10 mins till my breathing returned to normal and I stopped resembling a overripe beetroot...lol and then I would be buzzing for hours - so I know what you mean......:D

Me thinks your 'doubters' will be eating their words and delving deep into their wallets/purses don't you.....;)

I'm doing OK - looking forward to seeing you in Brum.... does this mean you won't be partakin in some vodka?????

Eh.... ehhhhhh.... ehhhhhhhh

kiss, kiss, ruffle, ruffle.......:D

Wow Jem, 8 miles already! You've only been running for a short while!! Go and bump your sponsorship thread and shout it out!!

8 MILES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for the IPD, tried it and loved it, and the weight stayed still, but i wasn't loosing!!!:confused::confused:

I just wanted to say EWWW again!! hehe

glad you got some new trainers :) good job you didn't buy those shiny shiny gold ones hey?!

I just wanted to say EWWW again!! hehe

glad you got some new trainers :) good job you didn't buy those shiny shiny gold ones hey?!

Don't.........there is still time, they might be my night running shoesies!! I think you should get them......you'd look fab!!!

Thanks for the stuff - tis great and the tights made me run faster this afternoon!

x

Back