budget

I cant really say exactly what I spend on a weekly basis, I find that it varies a lot. Some weeks I can get away with £40.00 for 2 adults and a toddler then other weeks I spend £100. What I do is when the offers are on SW friendly foods such as Mug Shots, smash, baked beans, Alpen Light Bars etc I stock up well!

My 1st SW shop was more as I had to stock up on various items such as Fry Light but thats not the kind of product you would need to buy every week.

I spend £50-£60 a week for 2 of us (and blokey eats a lot of healthy food as is fitness freak) and shop online. I find I always spend less online, despite the delivery charge, as it's easier to compare prices/buy offers/not buy things just because they're there! I also cook every evening meal from scratch and tend to do diff things each night, but have 2 lunches rotating each week as find it cheaper... I find pasta is a good cheap versatile lunch, add tuna, frozen peas, tinned chopped toms etc. Another thing ive started saving loads of money on each week is peppers! have discovered frozen sliced peppers for £1 a bag in tesco, compared to 70p for ONE fresh one. I add these to pretty much every meal now! x x

I budget about £50 for me, my boyfriend & 2 pussy cats :) Every weekend I sit down and plan what meals I'm having for the week and write a shopping list before I go. Make sure I have a hearty breakfast before I head out to stop me from feeling hungry whilst I'm there and most importantly completely avoid the tempting chocolate aisle ;)

do you all have different meals every night?

I spend £50-£60 a week for 2 of us (and blokey eats a lot of healthy food as is fitness freak) and shop online. I find I always spend less online, despite the delivery charge, as it's easier to compare prices/buy offers/not buy things just because they're there! I also cook every evening meal from scratch and tend to do diff things each night, but have 2 lunches rotating each week as find it cheaper... I find pasta is a good cheap versatile lunch, add tuna, frozen peas, tinned chopped toms etc. Another thing ive started saving loads of money on each week is peppers! have discovered frozen sliced peppers for £1 a bag in tesco, compared to 70p for ONE fresh one. I add these to pretty much every meal now! x x

Asda do frozen mushrooms as well and they are loads cheaper than buying fresh. I also buy frozen rice (4 in a pack) about £1.20 which is not too bad and saves time when I get in from work.

frozen mushrooms too?? I must look out for those...

franbob - i do cook something different every night yep. find it helps with motivation as each sunday evening i go through my recipe books and choose 7meals, writing out my list as i go. Once you've got in all the store cupboard essentials it works out cheaper than buying frozen meals (and defo cheaper than takeaways which is what i used to get!) x

I usually spend about 70 every 2 weeks for me OH and me cat but top up with 10 per week of odds and ends

so bout £45 per week.

i tend to buy cheaper meat and trim it my self, and mug shot are 4 for 1.50 at asda and pasta n sauce are 3 for £2

Last edited:
I do because my boyf gets bored of same meal twice and so do I really. Have put together a massive folder with recipes from websites and forums, clippings from magazines etc and divided up into red / green days and starters and desserts so I can flick through once a week and pick out things I haven't eaten!!

Biggest problem I have is my boyf is a very picky eater - not a massive fan of pasta and doesn't like tomatoes!!! I have to get pretty creative :)

I don't think this diet is expensive at all. It cost a bit more initially to stock up on spices etc as I always bought jar sauces before but apart from that. If like me you bought a lot of prepared meals before it can actually save you money the only down side is when you work it is hard to start cooking a meal from scratch after a full day at work.

cook diff meals every night and try to cook diff meals every day for a month my OH gets bored easily! and 3 meals a week are new meals i haven't cooked before too!

wow, how do you lot shop with such a low amount? There are two of us, and two cats, and we usually spend about £80 a week - and we don't buy treats, so I'll really have to look into that.
We've just had some news which means we literally have NO MONEY to spend on anything atm so I'm having a bit of a panic.

Sorry to hear you're going to be financially restrained for a while...

This is how I manage not to spend too much money:
1. First of all, pick a shopping day and time when you're not in a rush to get round the shops and have time to compare prices etc. Preferably a day off when there's time to do some pricing up before you go too.

2. Get 3 pieces of paper - one for what you've already got, one for what meals you're having that week, and one for the shopping list.

3. Go through your fridge and get rid of anything that's out of date. Then go through your freezer, fridge and cupboards and work out if you can make meals out of what's there already. Write these meals onto your meal planner, but if no meals can be made, that's fine. Assuming you're not vegetarian and do a mix of red and green or EE days, write down any meat, fish, quorn (ie. meal basics) that you've already got and how much of each on your second bit of paper.

3. On your shopping list, write down what you need to buy to make your meal basics into meals - herbs, veg, pasta, rice, etc.

4. Assuming that you haven't got all the food for 7 dinners and any lunches you need, now decide what you want to eat for other days and nights. I start by going online to websites for Sainsbury's, Tesco, etc and see what's on offer. If chicken's at a good price, for example, then that's a good choice for that week. I'd recommend if you're cooking most nights then make twice what you need as long as you can freeze it afterwards. Then you'll spend the same time cooking but already have some of the meals for next week done. This avoids having to have leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day!

5. Add the rest of your food onto shopping list that you need to make all the meals for that week. If you want, you can put it into mysupermarket.com to see which supermarket's cheapest, but I find if I'm making good savings on expensive things like meat, a couple of pence here or there on other things doesn't make too much of a difference.

6. Go shopping! Stick to the list, or agree that you'll only spend a certain amount on non-list things like treats - e.g. £5 on things you see when you're going up and down the aisles.

Other tips: Beware Lidl and Aldi! Some things are cheaper, but a lot of the stuff they have is more expensive that the supermarkets (people spend money because they think everything's cheaper than the big supermarkets, but it's just not true)! If you have time, go to Lidl or Aldi first but note down on your shopping list how much Tesco (or wherever you shop - check online) charge for the same thing - only buy what is cheaper and I think you'll be surprised at some of the 'budget' prices!

Buy reduced food if it can be frozen and you'll actually eat it! Meat, fish and bread are all fine if frozen on the day of purchase. Reduced potatoes can be boiled, mashed and frozen fine for quick defrosting later. Figure out what time your supermarket reduces food, and try and pop by then to see if there's something worth buying - but remember, only buy it if you can use it immediately or it can be frozen, and you'll eat it!

Hope that helps and that it wasn't a too terrifying insight into my household shopping ways!

Sorry to hear you're going to be financially restrained for a while...

This is how I manage not to spend too much money:
1. First of all, pick a shopping day and time when you're not in a rush to get round the shops and have time to compare prices etc. Preferably a day off when there's time to do some pricing up before you go too.

2. Get 3 pieces of paper - one for what you've already got, one for what meals you're having that week, and one for the shopping list.

3. Go through your fridge and get rid of anything that's out of date. Then go through your freezer, fridge and cupboards and work out if you can make meals out of what's there already. Write these meals onto your meal planner, but if no meals can be made, that's fine. Assuming you're not vegetarian and do a mix of red and green or EE days, write down any meat, fish, quorn (ie. meal basics) that you've already got and how much of each on your second bit of paper.

3. On your shopping list, write down what you need to buy to make your meal basics into meals - herbs, veg, pasta, rice, etc.

4. Assuming that you haven't got all the food for 7 dinners and any lunches you need, now decide what you want to eat for other days and nights. I start by going online to websites for Sainsbury's, Tesco, etc and see what's on offer. If chicken's at a good price, for example, then that's a good choice for that week. I'd recommend if you're cooking most nights then make twice what you need as long as you can freeze it afterwards. Then you'll spend the same time cooking but already have some of the meals for next week done. This avoids having to have leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day!

5. Add the rest of your food onto shopping list that you need to make all the meals for that week. If you want, you can put it into mysupermarket.com to see which supermarket's cheapest, but I find if I'm making good savings on expensive things like meat, a couple of pence here or there on other things doesn't make too much of a difference.

6. Go shopping! Stick to the list, or agree that you'll only spend a certain amount on non-list things like treats - e.g. £5 on things you see when you're going up and down the aisles.

Other tips: Beware Lidl and Aldi! Some things are cheaper, but a lot of the stuff they have is more expensive that the supermarkets (people spend money because they think everything's cheaper than the big supermarkets, but it's just not true)! If you have time, go to Lidl or Aldi first but note down on your shopping list how much Tesco (or wherever you shop - check online) charge for the same thing - only buy what is cheaper and I think you'll be surprised at some of the 'budget' prices!

Buy reduced food if it can be frozen and you'll actually eat it! Meat, fish and bread are all fine if frozen on the day of purchase. Reduced potatoes can be boiled, mashed and frozen fine for quick defrosting later. Figure out what time your supermarket reduces food, and try and pop by then to see if there's something worth buying - but remember, only buy it if you can use it immediately or it can be frozen, and you'll eat it!

Hope that helps and that it wasn't a too terrifying insight into my household shopping ways!

Are you sure you are not a part of the MoneySavingExpert :) Good tips- thanks for these!

I feed 5 adults and buy all the household cleaning stuff etc on £70 a week. If you are savvy with where you shop like Aldi and Lidl and go early in the morning, they have things reduced in the meat fruit and veg line as do the other supermarkets. find out when they reduce things and be there waiting. Plan you meals, never throw food away, there is always a soup in the left overs if nothing else. Make a shopping list and stick to it. Shop when you are not hungry, and buy food in season. If you have freezer, bulk buy and cook and freeze your meals.

Savings are quite easy to find if you are critical about your shopping. Hope you manage to save a bit.

I spend about £80 per week for food and household stuff for Me, DH, DD1(17), DS(4) and DD2(3). Oh and my cats Ivy and Star (aged 9).

Back