Building Muscles and Affecting the Scales...

Cherry_Pie

Hello All,

Well, I had a weigh in this lunch time, at my usual time, and I was not happy!

Despite watching what I've been eating for 7 weeks, and exercising, I've put on 4lbs! What the hell!?

I walk to and from work every day, which is about 35 mins each way, and I exercise twice a week. Generally I hit 1,500 cals per day (I can't do any less than that, I would die!) Occasionally I eat more, but never more than 2,000. That's why I don't understand gaining 4lbs. Not LOSING any weight - sure, maybe my calorie usage is too high, maybe I'm not exercising enough - but GAINING!? When I'm off calorie counting I eat 2,000 cals a week and maintain!

So, I started wondering if it's that mystical muscle weight, as I've been working once or twice a week on my bum and abs (curse bikini pressures!) But whenever people say things like "Oh, you've just put on some muscle, and muscle weighs more than fat", I'm always a bit skeptical, to be honest. It's not like a body builder. It's not like I look ripped.

In future I'm going to be going by measurements and see how that goes, but I would like to get your input on the above. Do you think it could be muscle weight? Just how easy is it to put on muscle?

I just feel so deflated! (and yet, oddly, inflated. GRR!)

UPDATE:
Just found this online:

"With an aggressive weight-training program and consistently providing your body with a daily surplus of 250 calories, you can gain a half pound of muscle per week. Therefore, it would take you about two weeks to put on a pound of muscle."

Well, that's clearly not me. I'm screwed! What the hell is it then!?

Last edited:
I had same thing been gong to gym for 4 weeks gained 5lb even though according to MFP I wears in deficit I have now been going six weeks and have lost 4 of that 5lb

Just a thought but do you know what your BMR is?
If you're eating close to your BMR calories then you won't be losing weight. You need to work out your BMR then eat less cals to lose weight rather than maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

also you could be storing more water

Back