Bunions - mmm lovely topic!

suplizi

I see the light!
Heya

wondering if anyone has any advice. I have a bunion on my left foot which I have had for years (I'm 33) To be honest its never really bothered me that much. Since I have been on slimming world and exercising more I am finding its becoming increasingly painful, plus its becoming more and more of a pain to find shoes to fit, especially having one "normal" sized foot! Obviously am still overweight as you can see from my profile. So am wondering if I should see a Dr about them, or will he just disregard it until I have lost alot more weight? Some days the joint of my big toe is terrible and if I swop over shoes I have to take pain killers :sigh: .

Obviously the interest in clothes and shoes is being renewed since loosing some weight and I do want to be able to wear nice shoes without being in pain.

So has anyone had them removed? Is it going to be just going to the Dr and he putting me forward to a consultant at hospital, or is there other things he will try first?

Thanx in advance

Helen xx

my sister in law had hers removed last week and is now in two foot bandages with crutches! I think if they are giving you pain then they will remove them, it doesn't matter about your weight! she was on a waiting list for quite a while though before she got them done!!

my sister in law had hers removed last week and is now in two foot bandages with crutches! I think if they are giving you pain then they will remove them, it doesn't matter about your weight! she was on a waiting list for quite a while though before she got them done!!

Thanx Angela, I just didnt wanna make an appointment at the Dr's and him to tell me I am too fat for surgery, but if theres a waiting list I may as well be on it while loosing weight! Hope your sister in law is doing well. Will probaby be easier for me to get about if I have only one foot in bandages.

Helen x

Hiya, My bunion grew bigger and got more painful after weight loss and increse in exercise too. I went last November to see my dr about mine and had it done in May. The operation wasnt so bad but 6 months on Im in more pain than my bunion was causing me. I now have developed complex regional pain syndrome and have very little movement in my big toe and still cant wear anything other than trainers or flat shoes. No nice strappy stilletoes for me :sigh:

This is rare, but my advice to you would be to have it done only if you are in a lot of pain, if it doesnt really bother you too much, leave well alone.

Back