Buttermilk?

I'm not an expert, but read this post the other day which seems to indicate that it's not permitted.

Dairy and the Dukan Diet

it's a no-no for deffo...

Try watering FF yoghurt down to required consistency, that should do the trick. Or add a ts of lemon/vinegar to skimmed milk that works for me in baking in general when I can't find / be bothered to buy buttermilk. All you need is something soured to react with the baking soda.

Anja

I'm sorry but I can't see how buttermilk cannot be permitted. The one you get in the shops is nearly fat free and has no added sugar. If anyone has an official explanation i'd love to hear it. Many thanks!

Try watering FF yoghurt down to required consistency, that should do the trick. Or add a ts of lemon/vinegar to skimmed milk that works for me in baking in general when I can't find / be bothered to buy buttermilk. All you need is something soured to react with the baking soda.
Anja

Thanks, Anja. The yogurt tip is a possibility. :)

I'm sorry but I can't see how buttermilk cannot be permitted. The one you get in the shops is nearly fat free and has no added sugar. If anyone has an official explanation i'd love to hear it. Many thanks!

I was at a loss too, pixietrasher, as to why you wouldn't be allowed it. :confused:

I wondered myself to be honest. Is it less common in France and so it was just bundled into unspecified dairy by translators who are (I'm guessing) neither medics nor nutritionists? It'd be interesting to get a response from someone who gets Dukan coaching on the 'official' site.

Back