Butternut Squash, mmm!

Lisa D

My friend popped over today and brought her lunch of homemade butternut squash soup with her (she is on WW), I tried a bit and it was absolutely delish and totally syn free.

Chopped butternut squash, 2 chopped onions, grilled until brown, then popped in a saucepan of chicken stock (chicken bovril) to boil for a while (can't remember how long), then blitz in a blender with a dash of water and hot curry powder.

That lasts her about a week, it was very yummy and warming, a good idea if you're fancying something and its made up in the fridge. Also sometimes she uses what she has and adds it to some chicken to make a kind of curry.

Just thought i'd share with you all!

I'm a new comer to butternut squash and i'm now a big fan so this sounds great.

Thanks for sharing :D

Hi, I love butternut squash too, but sweet. I boil it and after this bake it choped in mix of milk, eggs, vanila and sweetener. I can eat it all the time incl for breakfast.

would it go with lentils? ive never had butternut squash before

i think it would go well with lenitls ( somewhere in the back of my mind there is bns and lentil curry on the recipe thread but i may be confused)

I make a similar soup with BNS,carrots,onion and some of those long pointy sweet red peppers and just a hint of chilli-its lovely

they are also nice roasted in a veg mix-onions,cherry toms,etc

would it go with lentils? ive never had butternut squash before

It goes with just about anything! A little bit of chilli is good - not too much or you will swamp the flavour.

There is a Nigella Lawson recipe here:
WELCOME TO NIGELLA'S WEBSITE
which looks nice and easy. (You would have to check the buttermilk for syns, though.)

There's another one:
WEB EXCLUSIVE: Roast squash and sweet potato soup with buttermilk blue cheese swirl | Mail Online

but you would have to do some serious editing to make that SW friendly!

Another thing you can do - cut a smallish butternut squash in half lengthways, scoop out the seeds, spray a flattish oven dish with frylight, but the squash cut side down on the dish and bake in a hottish oven until soft. Lift out of the dish carefully and put it cut side up on a plate.

Eat with a spoon, salt and plenty of black pepper, some grated cheese (and I would be prepared to use up some syns on some butter for this!).

I use butternut squash or swede as a potato substitute on a red day or just cause I love on green. My particular favourite at the mo is sprout and bns risotto:

parboil sprouts and bns for a few mins
cook 2 onions and 3 garlic cloves in a few squirts frylight
add 8 oz rice and stir over fairly low heat for about a minute
add a little of the stock (made from 2x chicken oxo and about a pint or so of hot water)
Add approx 1 tbs ground turmeric, 1tsp ground coriander and 2 tsp paprika and a little black pepper
Add vegetables
Keep stirring while adding stock a little at a time until rice is cooked. Serve immediatley

I have been using arborio rice but am going to try longgrain rice next time as it is a lot cheaper and apparently works ok. I usually also add a couple of shakes of soy sauce to bring out the flavours. My OH loves it and the recipe is enough for 2 really good portions, depending how much veg you put in

Hello..I can recommend BNS chips :flirt2:..very very nice, i also made some BNS muffins at christmas and BNS chutney in the late summer..i even grew some too last year..ha ha can you tell i LOVE BNS...:):D:)

Long grain rice will work, but it won't have the creamy texture that proper risotto rice gives you. But, as you say, it is much cheaper, so it is worth trying.

Back