butternut squash skin?

krupskaya

Gold Member
I'm making a casserole with a butternut squash - does anyone know whether I have to peel it (a right faff) or can I leave the skin on? Any advice gratefully received!

You can do either, they are a nightmare to peel but its a personal taste thing wether you eat it or not:)

I used not to use butternut squash much because I thought you always had to peel it - and yes, it's a right faff to do! But then I cut one in half to stuff, put the two bits together again and wrapped the whole in foil and roasted it, and the skin became paper thin and edible. After that, I don't think I'd ever bother to peel one again :) Hope it turned out all right whichever you decided to do!

Thankyou Woodmouse and MommyB, I'm making it tomorrow and I'm going to leave the skin on and see what it's like. x

woodmouse said:
I used not to use butternut squash much because I thought you always had to peel it - and yes, it's a right faff to do! But then I cut one in half to stuff, put the two bits together again and wrapped the whole in foil and roasted it, and the skin became paper thin and edible. After that, I don't think I'd ever bother to peel one again :) Hope it turned out all right whichever you decided to do!

Oooo sorry to Hijack but any chance of getting your stuffed squash Recipe?? Or is it on the forum?

@ I dream slim - that particular stuffed butternut squash recipe was a work of my own invention :) and as far as I remember, I washed the squash, sliced it in half lengthways, removed the seeds, and filled the hollow with finely chopped onion, peppers, mince etc., then put the two halves together and wrapped it tightly in foil. Probably oven around 160C but maybe higher. Timing I suppose would depend on size of squash.

I just did a Google search for 'stuffed butternut squash recipes' and there are squillions on there which could be adapted for SW plans. HTH x

woodmouse said:
@ I dream slim - that particular stuffed butternut squash recipe was a work of my own invention :) and as far as I remember, I washed the squash, sliced it in half lengthways, removed the seeds, and filled the hollow with finely chopped onion, peppers, mince etc., then put the two halves together and wrapped it tightly in foil. Probably oven around 160C but maybe higher. Timing I suppose would depend on size of squash.

I just did a Google search for 'stuffed butternut squash recipes' and there are squillions on there which could be adapted for SW plans. HTH x

Thanks chuck!! X

I had a go last night with an Indian root veggie soup. Sweet potato, parsnip & BNS. Normally I'd peel the parsnip & BNS but this time I left the skin on all of them and it was no problem.

Very thin papery skin like someone earlier said and tbh no different to leaving skin on a sweet potato. I won't bother peeling them again!

Back