BUTTERNUT SQUASH VIRGIN- verdict!

niknaks

Silver Member
Hi guys- maybe im posting this in the wrong place but im needing helping a little urgently as I am cooking this tonight for the first time.

I am having steak and veg for tea and wanted to try BNS. I was going to roast it but haven't got a clue what im doing.
Any advice please? xx

Cut off the bottom of the squash so you have firm base to stand it on then use a sharp knife to remove the peel. This can be quite hard work but should'nt be too difficult. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and all the stringy bits from the central cavity. Then just cut into whatever shape you want - cubes, chips, wedges. Put a baking tray, spray with frylight or drizzle with olive oil then whack them in a hot oven for about 30-40 minutes depending on size.

When I went to SW, a group member said to make it easier to peel you could blanch it for a min or two in boiling water and then the peel would be much eaiser to deal with. I haven't tried it because I have a BNS peeler......He's playing on his xbox at the moment!

I usually peel mine, but quite a few people have said that you can roast it with the skin on and that it tastes lovely, so I'm going to try that sometime soon!! Niknaks, BNS is also very lovely in a soup, or mashed!!X

If you get bored of all the chopping and peeling Waitrose do a bag of ready cubed butternut squash and sweet potato! I can't remember the price but I'm sure I wouldn't have bought it if it was ludicrous.

It's nice if you sprinkle smoked paprika on before you roast.

Hi, I got BNS and sweet potatoes chopped in abag from Asda yesterday. Will they take the same length of time if I roast them? Or, if I decipe to make soup would I use Stock cubes or would the flavour be strong enough?

Wish I could taste food, but I lost my sense of taste afew years ago before I had even tried butternut squash, but I have to eat, so I eat it anyway because I like the colour and texture.. I roast it, and sprinkle 'pizza herbs' from a pepper mill, over it. I also do the sweet peppers this way, and I like those jars of sun dried tomatoes for their texture too

As I have a permanently dry mouth, I love the texture of moist foods.

Wish I could taste food, but I lost my sense of taste afew years ago before I had even tried butternut squash, but I have to eat, so I eat it anyway because I like the colour and texture.. I roast it, and sprinkle 'pizza herbs' from a pepper mill, over it. I also do the sweet peppers this way, and I like those jars of sun dried tomatoes for their texture too

As I have a permanently dry mouth, I love the texture of moist foods.

I'm sorry to hear this and can completely sympathise as I lost all smell and taste for about 2 years because of allergies. Luckily there was an op that sorted it. It used to really make me low :(

thanks for that NSM, I wish there was an op I could get but its permanent , and it does affect my sense of smell as well.

Used to love things like crisps, but they are so dry, I have no saliva and at one time, when I first had this syndrome, I used to 'dip' my crisps into my lager !( got some funny looks of course !) but at least I got abit of satisfaction from the slight 'crunch', but tongue is so dry lately I cant eat so many of these foods( life's so cruel !!! ) not to worry..:sigh:

Back