Calf pain - just cramp or possible DVT?

dudette2001uk

I will be a Princess!
Hi all,

I'm currently suffering from calf pain in my left leg. I was out on Saturday night and had a few drinks and was wearing high heels. I was woken up that night by cramp in my left calf, which I put down to walking in the heels and maybe a bit of dehydration. Well it's monday today and I still have pain in my left calf.

When I press my calf it feels sore, as if it's muscle pain, but I've tried treating it with Deep Freeze spray, Ibuprofen gel and a hot water bottle and it's not improving. It feels fine when I'm walking, but when I first start walking after sitting for a while it feels a bit crampy and achey. When I flex my foot upwards it feels as if the muscle in my calf is pulling.

I've had a DVT before (in 2003), which I think is making me more paranoid :( I've been checking my calf for swelling and there's no noticeable swelling. The calf isn't red/discoloured and there's no sign of any difference in temperature between the two calves.

I know I should take myself off to the doctor, but I don't want to seem like a paranoid hypochondriac. I did notice a bit of pain a couple of days before saturday, but I've been sitting quite a bit on a wooden chair as I'm essay writing at the moment. I do make sure that I get up regularly and walk around though. I've also started swimming again, so maybe I've done something to the muscle when I was swimming :confused:

I can't bear the thought of having another DVT...I was told when I had the first clot that if I had another then I'd be on Warfarin for life. Since I had that clot I've stopped smoking, lost some weight and I'm controlling my blood pressure with medication. I'm really stressed out about it all to be honest :cry:

If it is just the after effect of cramp...how long does it typically take for the muscle to feel normal again?

Sorry for the rambling post! :(

I think if you'd never had a DVT before and you immediately jumped to the conclusion that you had one cos you had a pain, then you could call yourself a paranoid hypochondriac, but perhaps in this case you SHOULD get yourself to the doc for a check up and peace of mind. Better to be careful when you've had one before even if you do have to go on warfarin. Nobody can or should advise you on here whether it is or isn't you need it checked. Let us know how it goes.

Hi! I was just about to report in that my calf is feeling a lot better than last night (although not completely better), which makes me think that it probably is just muscular pain. I know I should probably get myself to the doctor just in case, but I think I'll see how it is over the next couple of days.

I feel really silly now - strange how having something in the past can still make you paranoid, even 9 years later! :eek:

Not at all when it's something so seemingly benign that can end up being so fatal. Being vigilant is a good thing. Hope it keeps feeling better.

Back