Cali Sweden's Diary

I can totally understand how you feel. You've worked hard to shed those pounds and it feels like if you don't exercise you will feel out of control again.

But we are only talking about a few days. You will not balloon back up. You are too committed for that. Perhaps you could do just the gentle yoga poses. Hope you don't mind, but I just googled yoga for colds and came up with this: Yoga for Cold - Yoga Techniques in Preventing and Dealing with the Common Cold. I have to say Alunoma Viloma, if you dont already do it, is fantastic. I do it everyday :)

Also, just had a thought. You need to stop sanding as it must be aggravating your throat and chest. Leave that for a few days too and see if it makes a difference.

OK, will come out of mummy mode now. :)

You said exactly how I feel :)

I did take it easy last week on my exercises, I did way less yoga than I normally do last week. I'm trying not to sand everyday too, but I always wear a breathing mask to keep the dust away :)

Thank you for all the care and concern ladies :) HUGS!!! I will take a look at the article you posted, thank you for the link :)

I can only agree with everything Ashie said! I know myself it's a scary feeling when you are getting your weight under control and then something happens which might negatively impact that (like needing to eat more or exercise less to get over being unwell). But given a choice between possibly putting on a couple of pounds (and you'd have to eat a lot extra to put on even 1lb of fat) and being ill with colds all winter (which happened to me 2 years ago, and was the most awful winter I've ever had) I know which one I would choose. Please take care hon and get better!
:bighug:

I felt much better today, and the weather was really windy and cold, but I still decided to take my walk. Also I saw the weather forcast for the coming up days and it's going to be raining and really cold. So I had to squeeze in my walk:)

What a difference makes with the weather here. Last weekend we had unusually warm weather that was almost summer like. This weekend we're having unusually cold weather that's more winter like than fall. That's one thing out here in Sweden is that the weather is so unpredictable.

Breakfast: Oat porridge with raspberries, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, cinnamon, agave syrup and soy milk.

Snack: 1 piece of dark chocolate.

Lunch: Leftover Borscht soup with 1 slice of rye bread with butter.

Snack: A peeled apple with a dab of peanut butter.

Dinner: Leftover Borscht soup with 1 slice of rye bread with butter.

Exercise: 27 minutes long walk, pushups, crunches, 45 minutes of yoga.

Good that you took advantage of the weather while you were able to! That's one thing I like about my airwalker, because it's indoors it is not dependent on the weather! :)

Today was a relaxing day of snuggling on the couch and watching some tv. I can't complain about that :)

For lunch was leftover chicken and aubergine curry that was in the freezer. I ate garlic naan, since I was a bit too hungry to wait to cook some basmati rice or quinoa. I know that was really bad of me. Naan tasted good, but it felt like I ate air. I didn't want to eat more than half since I know I could eat way more of it, and knew that's the trap of eating white wheat. You can eat a lot of it and not feel full, but the bum gets bigger. I think I made a good call on eating only half of it, even though I wasn't full.

I also learned that eating breakfast is so much better for my body and you should eat it. Earlier in the week when I was missing breakfast from not feeling good and sleeping in or not eating it, I gained weight. The scale was going up slowly, and now that I've been eating breakfast the scale is going back down. Hopefully I will have a minus at weigh in day, but Sundays and Mondays are usually my ultra strict days to help push a weightloss :)

Dinner tonight was a combined effort from me and OH. He cooked a Swedish dish of baked Falukorv (Swedish sausage) with apples, mustard, ketchup and cheese. I then made a salad of diced tomatoes, bell peppers and carrots, and a pot of quinoa. It turned out to be a yummy and healthy low gi/gl dinner :)

Breakfast: Oat porridge with raspberries, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, agave syrup and soy milk.

Lunch: Defrosted Chicken and aubergine curry with half a garlic naan.

Snack: 1 piece of dark chocolate and 1 kiwi.

Dinner: Baked falukorv(Swedish sausage) with apples, with side of quinoa and tomato, bellpepper and carrot salad.

Sounds like my kind of day :)

I think skipping breakfast slows down your metabolism. For example, if you eat dinner at 7pm and then not eat till 12 pm, your body thinks it's starving as it has not eaten 17 hours so will conserve its body fat. Eating breakfast kick-starts your metabolism.

Dinner sounds good too.

I don't count calories anymore, but I'm certain that today I was way over my calories and will probably pay for it tomorrow or on weigh in day. Only one more day until weigh in, so I should have been more careful.

Today we were out in the city and so we ended up eating there. We went to Max as it has a healthly menu compared to other fast food places and restaurants. I decided to go with a GI burger, and got chicken instead of beef. It was really good, the bread was whole wheat with lots of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, oats and walnuts in it. Though when I got home I checked the calorie count on that bad boy and it was 742 calories:( Next time I'm sticking to the Delifresh chicken instead, it has only about 400 calories.

Since lunch had so many calories in it I decided to go a little easy on dinner. I ate only 2/3 of my steak, and not all the quinoa. But I don't think it would have helped. My OH ended up baking apples with cinnamon, brown sugar, and 86% dark chocolate. I took only a spoonful of vanilla ice cream and the baked apple thing. It was really good, and I could have so ate way more, and I'm sure the calories were ALOT. But I already felt so guilty from lunch, and also just for eating the dessert.

So I have to say today was a no good food day for me:(

Breakfast: Last night's leftover baked falukorv with salad and quinoa.

Snack: A quarter of Allévo bar.

Lunch: Max's GI chicken burger.

Snack: a peeled apple.

Dinner: Beef steak with salad and quinoa.

Dessert: Spoonfull of vanilla ice cream, with apples baked in cinnamon, brown sugar and dark chocolate.

Don't worry too much Cali. I am sure that it will be ok since you have eaten pretty well over the rest of the week. Hopefully that one meal will not make too much difference and at least it was healthy. Remember the 20% rule.

I'm sure that you will be fine, as I reckon that you will be quite strict with yourself today.

Luckly today I'm not going out into the city or anything, so I'll be able to eat proper food. The meal I had yesterday was healthy for eating out standards but the 742 calories for one item was just insane for me.

It's really amazing how many calories foods can rack up, without being so big or filling etc. No wonder why waistlines around the world gets bigger. We think hey it's just one item no worries, but don't realize that maybe that one item has half your day's calories or more. I was talking about that to my OH yesterday, also how I don't crave french fries now. I used to love them, but the last time I ate them (months ago) and saw that one large fries from McDs was 400 calories, it really put me off and the fact that the batch wasn't even that yummy. It felt like a complete waste of calories.

Hi Cali, just checking in to see how everyone is doing. You are doing very well!! Your food is great and you are keeping up your exercise regime. I know you are a little disappointed with your losses some weeks but focus on the long game. Your weight is going down every week and you feel the benefits of the healthy GI GL lifestyle with boosted energy levels etc.
I'm also amazed at the calorie content of various foods or meals I once loved. Such an understanding really helps me keep a perspective on what I eat.
Your weather will be getting quite chilly now so good luck with maintaining your exercise regime indoors.
Go you!!

Hi Molly, thank you for the tips and encouragement :) I love low GI/GL, it's really made me aware of foods in a totally different light. Even when I reach goal weight I will continue to eat mostly low GI/GL just because it tastes better and it makes me feel so much more alive. My skin is so much fresher and younger looking too. So even if some weeks I wasn't the most thrilled about my weightloss the other benefits are wonderful.

My OH has lost about 5lbs now from eating low GI/GL with me. He's not strict at all with it, he still munches on crisps, chips, and sodas. He also eats high GL foods while at work for snacks and meals. But I guess he does put in more effort to make a healthier choice :)

Well done on OH losing the 5lbs. It is a fab support to you that he is embracing the GL lifestyle too.

I decided to try out Esther Ekhart's yoga dvd "Improvers Daily Practice", which is yoga for people who have been doing yoga, instead of doing her Beginner's dvd. I've been practicing some of the harder yoga poses, but I still have a long ways to go. Today's yoga reminded me of when I first started doing yoga almost three months ago, and how the poses felt difficult and challenging :) The Improvers dvd uses a lot more core and arm muscles compared to Beginners yoga. I can tell that the poses are really demanding, since all my muscles feel a bit shakey as if I've been doing some strenuous physical activity.

As for food, I've been trying to behave myself as tomorrow is weigh in day. I did eat plenty for breakfast and maybe too much for lunch. But for dinner I could have ate plenty more, though I made sure to stop at being satisfied instead of being greedy. The only thing that was not too good was that I wasn't finished making dinner until 19:30, so I ate dinner an hour later than I would have liked.

Breakfast: Oat porridge with strawberries, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, agave syrup and soy milk.

Lunch: Last night's leftover: Beef steak with tomato, radish, feta cheese and mixed dark greens salad and quinoa.

Snack: 2 pieces of dark chocolate

Snack: A peeled apple and a dessert spoonful of peanut butter.

Dinner: Beef, bell pepper, onion and garlic stir-fry with basmati rice/oat/barley mix.

Exercise: Pushups, crunches, and 42 minutes of yoga.

So, this has been an interesting week. I really didn't think I would lose any weight this week, as the first couple of days started out with a gain, and I didn't lose weight until the last three days. The weird thing is that I still lost weight after I ate the GI burger from MAX, with it's 742 calories. I never understand how the scale works. I just stick to what number shows up on weigh in day :)

This morning really surprised me when I stepped on the scale. I almost didn't believe it. Of course I jumped on the scale two more times just to make sure I was stepping on the scale correctly.

Here's the 15th weekly weight update:

-2.0 lbs (-.91kg)

Total amount since started: -17.8 lbs (-8.09kg)

I started off with a good day by having a really great weigh in. The rain finally stopped this morning, so I was finally able to go for a walk. Though it was really chilly, still wet roads and windy, I could feel that my thigh muscles felt tight in the beginning of the walk from the cold.

I only did 30 minutes of yoga as my body was a bit sore today, and I find the Improvers dvd much more difficult so I get worn out from it. My muscles were still a bit shakey but not as bas as yesterday, and I think doing only 30 minutes helped alot too.

Dinner didn't get done on time, as I started making it a little late. I soaked the beans overnight and used stewing pork so they the chili had to be boiled for about two hours to be ready. I made sure there were a lot of tomatoes, bell peppers, onion and garlic. I baked corn bread tonight, I tweeked the recipe out to make it a little more GI/GL friendly. I switched out the flour for whole grain spelt flour, and used brown sugar instead of white sugar. I didn't get to eat dinner until 20:00, way past the time I like to eat.

I did eat corn bread, though I think I ate way too much, as I was really stuffed. I was really bad with the corn bread. I couldn't resist it, as it's my favorite and fresh. Though next time I will eat way less of it.

Breakfast: Oat porridge with strawberries, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, cinnamon, agave syrup and milk.

Snack: 2 pieces of dark chocolate.

Lunch: Last night's leftover Beef with bell peppers and barley/oat/basmati rice.

Snack: A peeled apple with some peanut butter.

Dinner: Homemade pork chili beans with cornbread (made with spelt flour).

Exercise: 27 minutes long walk, pushups, crunches, and 30 minutes of yoga.

How lovely you were able to go for a walk. That yoga you are doing sounds hard, but I bet you will see improvements in your strength etc very quickly. And it's sensible of you to work your way up from 30 mins, especially if you are sore.

I think you are allowed to go a little overboard on weigh-in night, especially if you have had a good loss. :) And well done for making it more GI friendly. Was there a significant difference in taste?

I'm sore again today, the new yoga routine is really whipping me. It's much harder doing this 30 minutes than doing 60 minutes of beginners yoga. It's a totally different level. Yesterday I felt like omg this is so tough and I'm exhausted and I was only 10 minutes into the dvd. But I kept pushing myself for 5 more minute, and then 5 more minutes.

It was really nice to go on a walk yesterday. Today the skies are all clear, but it's only 4 degrees Celsius right now and there's still alot of water and ice on the roads. The weather turned into full blown winter overnight. Hopefully I will be able to go on a walk later on.

The cornbread was good, but did taste different with the spelt flour. Maybe next time use half spelt and half normal flour inorder to keep the flavor of the cornbread intact.

Today started out being really cold like winter with ice on the roads and frost on the cars. The sky was clear and the sun was shining it actually got up to about 16 degrees Celsius, left like summer compared to the past couple of days. I was able to enjoy a wonderful walk :)

I did take a break from yoga today. I woke up stiff and sore, and after taking the walk I decided not to overdo it and injure myself. I have to give my body a break for a day or so. Or else push myself too far and injure myself and then can't do yoga for a week or two. Amazing what 30 mintues of harder yoga can do.

I had corn bread 3 times today, but I had much smaller pieces than yesterday. I'm hoping that since it's a bit friendlier recipe it won't be so bad for me >_< We'll see tomorrow.

Breakfast: Oat porridge with strawberries, flaxseeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, agave syrup and milk.

Snack: 1 piece of dark chocolate, a small piece of corn bread.

Lunch: Chili beans with corn bread.

Snack: A peeled apple with peanut butter

Dinner: Chili beans with corn bread.

Exercise: 27 minutes long walk

Back