Calorie counting advice / help

Stvv

Hey, i've been told to Calorie count by family / friends etc, to help with my struggle with losing weight.

my BMR is 2720, i have no idea if this is accurate or not, i'm male, 17, at 289 pounds and i'm 6ft 4 with a broad build. Is this BMR accurate, and how many calories should i be aiming to consume everyday to efficient weight loss?

(i got to the gym 5 times a week and only drink water / tea (milk no sugar) and sometimes i drink Ribena (which is 7Calories per 200ml according to the carton).

Thanks in advance

Steven:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Steven :)

Calorie counting is a great way to lose weight.

You have quite a high bmr. If you want to lose 1lb a week, you need to eat 500 calories less than that a day. 2lbs a week and you need to eat 1000 less.

Most of us seem to stick between 1000-1400 a day. Maybe start on 1500 and adjust accordingly. Obviously you may need more as you have a higher bmr and go to the gym a lot

:)

Once you're a tall and phisically active man I think you could do well at around 2000 calories. The number you talked about is for maintenance in case you don't do nothing all day long basically.
You need energy to exercise and are a lot taller than most so I think 2000 cals a day is actually a good number to aim.

Good luck Steven;)

Try this site (my fitness pal) If you input your heeight and weight and how active you are and it will work out how many calories you need to eat a day to lose weight also gives you a food and exercise diary to fill in everyday so you can track all your cal intake.

If you type in foods it has huge databases which will tell you how much fat, cals, carbs, protein etc is in everything and how much you should be having its great takes all the guess work out :)

I agree with both the last two suggestions - 2000 will probably be enough but as suggested, try my fitness pal, it's brilliant and quite a few of us are using it :)

Hey, i've been told to Calorie count by family / friends etc, to help with my struggle with losing weight.

my BMR is 2720, i have no idea if this is accurate or not, i'm male, 17, at 289 pounds and i'm 6ft 4 with a broad build. Is this BMR accurate, and how many calories should i be aiming to consume everyday to efficient weight loss?

(i got to the gym 5 times a week and only drink water / tea (milk no sugar) and sometimes i drink Ribena (which is 7Calories per 200ml according to the carton).

Thanks in advance

Steven:)

No, your calculation is not accurate. That allowance is not including the extra you need. You need to calculate an extra allowance as you are not lying in bed all day - and even someone lying in bed all day needs to add another twenty percent on top of that 2,700 calories a day. You are very active with exercising so it will be quite a lot of calories on top of the 2700.

Put into google Harris-Benedict formula and you can calculate how much goes on the 2700.

Back