Calorie counting for Diabetics

JayceeTu

Calorie counting

I think this is a sensible way for me to diet as I am diabetic.

I would like to lose quite a bit of weight
but worried about having a hypo if I cut down too much.

Anybody else have this problem?

:confused:

Hey Jaycee! Firstly, as you're diabetic, you should definitely talk to your doctor before embarking on any new style of eating.

Whilst I'm not diabetic, I am insulin resistant (like a lighter version of diabetes type ii, I guess I'm like a type iii hehehe - basically I have trouble processing sugars quickly enough).

The best advice I can give you is to take a look at the glycaemic index (GI) forum on minimins. The GI scale works on the basis of certain foods releasing insulin into your blood stream at a slow pace, other foods releasing insulin a lot faster. It will help control your sugars if you eat a low-medium GI diet, if you find you're eating a high GI diet (not only things that taste sugary, but also things like white bread, white pasta) you're more likely to hypo.

What I do, is calorie count whilst eating mostly low GI foods. The alternative is the GL diet (which is more or less the same as the GI diet, but accounts for portion sizes - if you're interested in this, then I thoroughly recommend the Low GL Diet Bible by Patrick Holford).

Here's a great resource about GI: The GI Diet - List of low GI foods (That's the list of foods but there's great info and recipes on there).

Good luck, let me know how you get on or if you have any further questions about GI/GL.

Thankyou for that reply and the advice.
I have been trying to lose weight for many years, lose a bit and then put it back on.
Very hard to keep to a strict diet isn't it?

thankyouan.gif

You're very welcome. And yes, it is! This is why I really advocate low GI eating, it's quite satisfying :D

hi jaycee, welcome to the forum, i have found this forum to be so encouraging, and hope we can help you to get the pounds off. Im not diabetic but im sure if you keep to a high protein intake that should stop any hypo problems, but certainly be careful, Take care and look forward to seeing your progress :D

Hi jaycee.
Im type 2 diabetic, you say your diabetic are you tablet controlled or insulin dependant?.
I have been on a low calorie diet for 7 weeks now and my losses have been really good. i recently had my annual diabetes check and the blood counts were very much improved, from last year. Not sure if this helps but i will put down what i generally eat in a day just to give you a guideline.
Breakfast. 2 slices of wholemeal toast (no butter) marmite.

Lunch. 4 ryvita crispbread, 100g of cottage cheese, tomato and cucumber. 1 orange.

dinner. Jacket potato, 150g of haddock, green beans, carrots and mushrooms.

Snacks. 1 apple, weight watchers yoghurt, and weight watchers hula hoops.
That averages 1200 to 1500 calories a day, also the sugar intake is mainly natural sugars that come from the fruit.
Hope this helps
Good luck on your weight loss journey :0)

Back