Calorie counting for Diabetics

Discussion in 'Calorie Counting' started by JayceeTu, 13 May 2011 Social URL.

1. JayceeTu

JayceeTu Full Member

Calorie counting

I think this is a sensible way for me to diet as I am diabetic.

I would like to lose quite a bit of weight
    but worried about having a hypo if I cut down too much.

Anybody else have this problem?

:confused:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Fattack

Fattack Likes to eat

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(23.33%)
    Diet:
    WeightWatchers
    Hey Jaycee! Firstly, as you're diabetic, you should definitely talk to your doctor before embarking on any new style of eating.

Whilst I'm not diabetic, I am insulin resistant (like a lighter version of diabetes type ii, I guess I'm like a type iii hehehe - basically I have trouble processing sugars quickly enough).

The best advice I can give you is to take a look at the glycaemic index (GI) forum on minimins. The GI scale works on the basis of certain foods releasing insulin into your blood stream at a slow pace, other foods releasing insulin a lot faster. It will help control your sugars if you eat a low-medium GI diet, if you find you're eating a high GI diet (not only things that taste sugary, but also things like white bread, white pasta) you're more likely to hypo.

What I do, is calorie count whilst eating mostly low GI foods. The alternative is the GL diet (which is more or less the same as the GI diet, but accounts for portion sizes - if you're interested in this, then I thoroughly recommend the Low GL Diet Bible by Patrick Holford).

Here's a great resource about GI: The GI Diet - List of low GI foods (That's the list of foods but there's great info and recipes on there).

Good luck, let me know how you get on or if you have any further questions about GI/GL.

4. JayceeTu

JayceeTu Full Member

Thankyou for that reply and the advice.
    I have been trying to lose weight for many years, lose a bit and then put it back on.
    Very hard to keep to a strict diet isn't it?

[​IMG]

5. Fattack

Fattack Likes to eat

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    11st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    3st7lb(23.33%)
    Diet:
    WeightWatchers
    You're very welcome. And yes, it is! This is why I really advocate low GI eating, it's quite satisfying :D

6. irishlady

irishlady sandra

Start Weight:
    13st1lb
    Current Weight:
    9st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st1lb(31.15%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    weight watchers pp
    hi jaycee, welcome to the forum, i have found this forum to be so encouraging, and hope we can help you to get the pounds off. Im not diabetic but im sure if you keep to a high protein intake that should stop any hypo problems, but certainly be careful, Take care and look forward to seeing your progress :D

7. bevsy

bevsy Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st8lb
    Current Weight:
    13st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st2lb
    Lost(%):
    4st12lb(26.15%)
    Diet:
    calorie count
    Hi jaycee.
    Im type 2 diabetic, you say your diabetic are you tablet controlled or insulin dependant?.
    I have been on a low calorie diet for 7 weeks now and my losses have been really good. i recently had my annual diabetes check and the blood counts were very much improved, from last year. Not sure if this helps but i will put down what i generally eat in a day just to give you a guideline.
    Breakfast. 2 slices of wholemeal toast (no butter) marmite.

Lunch. 4 ryvita crispbread, 100g of cottage cheese, tomato and cucumber. 1 orange.

dinner. Jacket potato, 150g of haddock, green beans, carrots and mushrooms.

Snacks. 1 apple, weight watchers yoghurt, and weight watchers hula hoops.
    That averages 1200 to 1500 calories a day, also the sugar intake is mainly natural sugars that come from the fruit.
    Hope this helps
    Good luck on your weight loss journey :0)

8. Emmaline

Emmaline Hippety Hop!

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    14st7.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st8.2lb(9.82%)
    Diet:
    calorie counting and low carbs
    Glad to see you are going to try to lose a few pounds.
    All the very best to you .... :)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.