Calorie numbers - FRUSTRATED!!

laurenmay

Gold Member
Right, I've yoyo dieted and done many VLCD's in the past - lost weight & obviously regained it all back, plus more! But the last 12 months I've literally eaten what I wanted and however much of it I wanted, which is the reason for me gaining 6 stone so quickly, so at least my TDEE is reset so I don't have to do that part!

But Thursday is time for a huge kick up the butt so I'm back to the gym and back on a diet. All I'm wondering is do I eat TDEE -30%, which is ok for obese which I am, so that'd be 1700 calories daily which is 92 below my BMR.. or do I eat a bit lower? Not quite 1200 but maybe 1400-1500 to kick start things and get the weight shifting at a fair speed?

Any help is much appreciated!

Start at 1700 and then drop it if and only when you stall for a prolonged period.
If you are eating as much as you say 1700 will still be a big drop.

Also, you'll be exercising so that'll burn cals too

Right, I've yoyo dieted and done many VLCD's in the past - lost weight & obviously regained it all back, plus more! But the last 12 months I've literally eaten what I wanted and however much of it I wanted, which is the reason for me gaining 6 stone so quickly, so at least my TDEE is reset so I don't have to do that part!

But Thursday is time for a huge kick up the butt so I'm back to the gym and back on a diet. All I'm wondering is do I eat TDEE -30%, which is ok for obese which I am, so that'd be 1700 calories daily which is 92 below my BMR.. or do I eat a bit lower? Not quite 1200 but maybe 1400-1500 to kick start things and get the weight shifting at a fair speed?

Any help is much appreciated!

Do u think u should go as low as 1700? It's quite a drop and below your BMR. Would a 15-20% cut not be better to ease you in.....? If you do 1700 and exercise I would eat back exercise cals so as not to go below BMR (sorry, my thoughts only!). I would just worry as when u lose weight you may have to lower your cals and u don't want to go too low

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Do u think u should go as low as 1700? It's quite a drop and below your BMR. Would a 15-20% cut not be better to ease you in.....? If you do 1700 and exercise I would eat back exercise cals so as not to go below BMR (sorry, my thoughts only!). I would just worry as when u lose weight you may have to lower your cals and u don't want to go too low

I've been reading a thread on MFP titled in place of a road map thoroughly, and he states that eating 30% below TDEE is fine for people that are obese, and currently I'm considered morbidly obese in respect of my BMI. 1700 still seems a high calorie number to start on to me, cause in the past I've always associated 1200 with dieting & losing weight so eating 500 more calories should be plenty to keep me on track.

Im doing 1700cals a day whichs is 20% of my tdee. Im not eating exercise calories though as I put I work out 1-3 days a week so its included in my activity level. Iv been going over due to xmas so Im having 1600 for a week or two and see how I go.

That thread was really interesting - I've reset my MFP goals and I'm now at 1700 a day as well (from 1500 or so that MFP said I should be eating).

That sounds like loads and should be pretty easy to stick to with some effort! I'm not eating my exercise calories either so they'll be an added bonus.

im confused tooooooooooooooo! i just made my own goal of 1500 a day, 1700 on gym days. i found those numbers plenty for me and seeing some fab results im just scared of it plateau-ing? ive lost 2st so far and got 4 to go which id like to do by august. mfp gives me 1760, id struggle to eat this now im so used to 1500.i have 500 per meal.

im confused tooooooooooooooo! i just made my own goal of 1500 a day, 1700 on gym days. i found those numbers plenty for me and seeing some fab results im just scared of it plateau-ing? ive lost 2st so far and got 4 to go which id like to do by august. mfp gives me 1760, id struggle to eat this now im so used to 1500.i have 500 per meal.

How long has it taken you to lose 2 stone if you don't mind me asking? I've got 6 stone to lose too and am starting at 1500 calories.

How long has it taken you to lose 2 stone if you don't mind me asking? I've got 6 stone to lose too and am starting at 1500 calories.

Just under 4 months. I have lost pretty much every week, have had some days when ive gone over and treated myself to alcohol or takeaways cos i know im never not going to have them, its more a lifestyle change for me so i can stick to it comfortably beyond goal. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week xxxx

Just under 4 months. I have lost pretty much every week, have had some days when ive gone over and treated myself to alcohol or takeaways cos i know im never not going to have them, its more a lifestyle change for me so i can stick to it comfortably beyond goal. I go to the gym 2-3 times a week xxxx

That's great :) well done! xxx

Hi MFP is that my fitness pal as I am also starting calorie counting and if I join can I add you???? Starting at 1500 a day and having 1700 on my exercise days which I have yet to start.......

good luck ladies

Yep mfp is my fitness pal. Look forward to seeing u on there x

hi ladies im getting confused with all the technicalities and science of how to calculate your daily calories ... in fact its down right scaring me that im gonna screw.up and fail.
I've set mine at 1500 because i thought that was a good place to start. i hope to loose about 8 stone which seems crazy at the moment but am i starting too low?
thanks for reading
sarah x

hi ladies im getting confused with all the technicalities and science of how to calculate your daily calories ... in fact its down right scaring me that im gonna screw.up and fail.
I've set mine at 1500 because i thought that was a good place to start. i hope to loose about 8 stone which seems crazy at the moment but am i starting too low?
thanks for reading
sarah x

I can't see your stats as on my phone so guessing, but as you have 8 stone to lose it might be worth starting a little higher just so you have some room to cut as you lose.

I can't see your stats as on my phone so guessing, but as you have 8 stone to lose it might be worth starting a little higher just so you have some room to cut as you lose.

I agree......I'm 44, just over 15 stone and 5'4" and I'm aiming somewhere between 1700-1800. You can work it out as you go along to see what works for you but I defo would go higher

thanks ill reasses it then and see how i go x

Hi can someone work out my cals for me as Mfp gives me 1200 , iam 5ft , 43 years old weigh 10st 1lb and I am on my feet at work 8 hrs a day 4 days a week

Hi can someone work out my cals for me as Mfp gives me 1200 , iam 5ft , 43 years old weigh 10st 1lb and I am on my feet at work 8 hrs a day 4 days a week

Right......via the Harris Benedict equation your BMR appears to be approx 1348 (this is the cals your body burns off even if you didn't move all day, apologies if you already know all this) . Your TDEE (total daily energy requirement) to maintain your weight at what it presently is, should be around 2080 (this is using fact that you exercise moderately 3-5 days a week....it could be more than this or less, i dont know how strenuous your work is) If u want to lose weight with a 20% cut you should go for around 1664 cals daily

General advice would be not to eat beneath your BMR but that's up to the individual to do what they want themselves.

Mfp seems to default to 1200 but I don't personally agree with that little amount of food but each to their own :)

Hope that helps

Back