Calorie Surprises

Principessa N

Minimins Addict
Stole the idea from weight watchers.
Any food you've been really suprised with the calorie content be it high or low.

For me its bananas, maybe having done diets that allows you to eat as much fruit as you want but i never imaged a small banana would have more calories then a bag of crisps!
seafood sticks also suprised me, the ones i have are 12cals a stick. the only problem is i have to share them with the cat :D

Definitely fruit! Some are rather high!

Very pleasantly surprised by WW soups - eg chicken noodle only 50 cals, a cup of soup is about double that and not as filling!

Was shocked by rumblers yoghurt tubs with granola - looks and sounds like a healthy breakfast option but very high in cals!

Definitely Cereal, but also pasta! You get such a small portion of both of these as a 'serving'

God yeah, cereal! It's like now that I weigh out the recommended 30g serving, it's shocking cos I used to pour myself like double that amount!

Also cheese. I knew it wasn't great for you. But not how high in calories it actually was! So not worth it. Always use Low Low cheese now if I feel like cheese.

Pasta and cheese are like my staple diet food after so long on slimming world. Luckily i'm used to 28g portions but if not weighing i can use 3x this much, its just so tasty.
My biggest revelation has been the amount of calories in low fat food, i've never really paid attention to the labels of food and always assumed low fat food must be relatively healthy calorie wise -- errr was i wrong or what!

Apparantly a small amount of cheese regularly can aid weight loss. I am the same though, I do tend to avoid it as I panic using up so many calories on such a small amount of food!

For me it's nuts...although they're obviously high in fat and therefore calories. But when I weigh out a 15g portion of walnuts I only get about 5 halves!

After shopping i also have another suprise, how little difference there are between some foods and there low fat counterparts, think i'd rather have the higher calories and less of the chemicals.

A wetherspoon's gourmet burger meal.

Now, don't get me wrong, I never expected this to be low in calories... But when I found out just HOW HIGH this meal is, I was shocked! **1,800** cals!

I don't know how on earth they managed to make it so high! I can only presume they feed the cows chocolate cake and lard before they're slaughtered.

And to put that into perspective, a McDonald's Big Mac with large fries is 950 cals.

Now, don't get me wrong, I never expected this to be low in calories... But when I found out just HOW HIGH this meal is, I was shocked! **1,800** cals!

I don't know how on earth they managed to make it so high! I can only presume they feed the cows chocolate cake and lard before they're slaughtered.

And to put that into perspective, a McDonald's Big Mac with large fries is 950 cals.

:faint2: Good grief 1800? that is mental, is it just burger and chips?

Definitely fruit. That's where I struggle I know it's got tons of vitamins and other good things but sn apple can be more than a chocnmousse!

I've taken to buying those kid sized apples

Quorn cooked meats.. so low in cals and hardly any fat and all the taste of the real thing. I use them a nice ham sandwich ( 2 slices of Ham flavour for 28 calories.. add a laughing cow light triangle for 25 cals instead of margarine on 2 slices of weight watchers Danish bread 102 cals) all for only 155 cals :eek:

Potatoes are a shock, I occasionally have oven chips like Asda good for you ones but you don't get many for 200grams which come in at 310 cals :break_diet: not had a baked potato since calorie counting but I plan to have one this week.. but my spuds look quite big so I'm expecting them to be high in cals even if they are topped with low fat cottage cheese.

What amazed me when shopping for cottage cheese in Asda is their 'smart priced' version has less fat and cals than their 'good for you range' which is more expensive and looks like it should be lower going off the title :eek:

I think Crumpets are good calories for their substance. 86kcals per crumpet (Sainsbury's). Yummy :D I think pasta, bread and rice are all eyeopeners in the calorie stakes for me, and sweets too!

This!! Wetherspoons in general actually!! When I think about what I used to eat there I feel sick! No wonder I was obese!

Back