calories and fat

I REALLY need to be upping my dairy intake as I'm definitely not getting enough calcium. Trouble is I really hate dairy!! I like a bit of cheddar cheese and will eat clotted cream (heehee) but I can't stand yoghurt, milk, cottage cheese, Philli or regular cream. I dont even really like ice cream much!! And I hate cream based sauces which is good diet wise I guess!!! How do vegans get their calcium in?
My only dairy intake at the mo is maybe a third of a pint of semi everyday between cereals and coffees!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

There's loads of calcium in green leafy stuff, think it's meant to be more easily digested too than dairy stuff too. You might be getting more than you think!

I will train myself to tolerate bitter chocolate :p Maybe i will then find milk chocolate too sweet (i wish!!).

Mackerel is the best oily fish i read somewhere, i do love salmon but it's so expensive for wht you get.

You will in time prefer it to the over sweet chocolate I'm sure. No one had a sweeter tooth than me but now I much prefer the 70% chocolate, trouble is it can still set me off on a binge so I just don't buy any chocolate.
Having said that, I had a binge last week & ate a large bar of Cadbury's Turkish delight - among other sweet things. I'm over it now but could kick myself. :mad: Luckily sanity has returned.. :)

Yeah once you acquire the taste for dark choc you'll never look back. It's so much tastier and has so much more depth. I've found that the older I've got that the more my palette has matured. Milk choc is nice but it just doesn't really taste of anything. When you start on the 85% dark choc you know you've graduated!

You lot have convinced me to try it! :D I will probably think yuk but it's the only chocolate i'm going to get in!

Chocolate bananas, I too am curious about dark chocolate so you can take one for the team and try it out for both of us and report back your findings hehe :D
I promise I'll test something too!

Chocolate bananas, I too am curious about dark chocolate so you can take one for the team and try it out for both of us and report back your findings hehe :D
I promise I'll test something too!

Deal! I am off shopping on Sunday so i will report back then ;)

at easter time i had a bag of mini green and black eggs, they were around 40 cals each and u only needed like 2 or 3 and u couldnt eat any more! i would keep them in my mouth till they start melting and they last 4 ages that way, even more if u split them in halkf first, its like 6 little eggs! lol im so sad xxx

i have found that there is lots of calcium in water which i drink alot of every day so yay for that one, no fat in water either unlike cheese :)

Mmmmmmmmmm cheeeeeeese!!!! I have a salty craving going on today and a lump of cheddar on some crackers sounds like just the thing haha!!

Mmmmmmmmmm cheeeeeeese!!!! I have a salty craving going on today and a lump of cheddar on some crackers sounds like just the thing haha!!

ooo naughty salt and cheese craving actually i used to eat lots of that sort of stuff, havent craved it yet though, im sure it will happen though lol.

I've had a bit of a cheese craving lately too. Bought a bag of babybel light (42 cals per bb). I think the full fat bb are only about 60 though so not too bad if you're only having one or 2. Laughing Cow light is really low too. Not quite the salty goodness of Halloumi though!

I eat a fair amount of light cheese spread with celery. Tesco's light choices spread is about 40 cals per 30g serving. Philly light is about 50. I'd recommend Philly over Tescos for taste but Tescos if every cal counts!

There's always cottage cheese too but....eugh!

i have found that there is lots of calcium in water which i drink alot of every day so yay for that one, no fat in water either unlike cheese :)

I take an (obligatory?) multivitamin and mineral tablet daily to top up my calcium etc. According to the nutrition table on MFP I'm always under (though I appreciate it's not that accurate). Can't hurt, I guess.

*Michael* said:
I take an (obligatory?) multivitamin and mineral tablet daily to top up my calcium etc. According to the nutrition table on MFP I'm always under (though I appreciate it's not that accurate). Can't hurt, I guess.

I've been taking a probiotic multivit and it's really helped with tummy probs etc but the calcium is still under. After having three kids etc I'm worried that long term calcium deficiency is gonna do bad things to my bones :(

*Michael* said:
I've had a bit of a cheese craving lately too. Bought a bag of babybel light (42 cals per bb). I think the full fat bb are only about 60 though so not too bad if you're only having one or 2. Laughing Cow light is really low too. Not quite the salty goodness of Halloumi though!

I eat a fair amount of light cheese spread with celery. Tesco's light choices spread is about 40 cals per 30g serving. Philly light is about 50. I'd recommend Philly over Tescos for taste but Tescos if every cal counts!

There's always cottage cheese too but....eugh!

The purple cheddar babybells are really yummy!! My husband finds it hilarious when I'm trying to grate a red one over pasta!! But they go dead stringy like mozzarella !! Yuuuuuuuummm!!!!
Don't do Philly or cottage cheese. Yurk. Cottage cheese looks like babysick.

Hahaha grated babybel! Best thing I've heard all day! :D

You will in time prefer it to the over sweet chocolate I'm sure. No one had a sweeter tooth than me but now I much prefer the 70% chocolate, trouble is it can still set me off on a binge so I just don't buy any chocolate.
Having said that, I had a binge last week & ate a large bar of Cadbury's Turkish delight - among other sweet things. I'm over it now but could kick myself. :mad: Luckily sanity has returned.. :)

If you don't want to break the bank getting used to dark chocolate, I recommend popping into Sainsburys, where you can pick up a full-sized bar for about 35p. It's in their 'Basics' orange and white packaging. Think it's between 73 - 76%. I've had some immediately after eating Green and Black's 80% and in my opinion it's just as tasty (if not tastier!)

Seriously, don't let the packaging put you off. More often than not, the ingredients are all the same!

If you don't want to break the bank getting used to dark chocolate, I recommend popping into Sainsburys, where you can pick up a full-sized bar for about 35p. It's in their 'Basics' orange and white packaging. Think it's between 73 - 76%. I've had some immediately after eating Green and Black's 80% and in my opinion it's just as tasty (if not tastier!)
Seriously, don't let the packaging put you off. More often than not, the ingredients are all the same!

Thanks i will keep that in mind :)

Back