Calories divided by 20 = syns :)

Yeah, it only really works for snacks - those foods that don't have a free food allowance. But in an emergency you can use it as a guide.

Yeah, it only really works for snacks - those foods that don't have a free food allowance. But in an emergency you can use it as a guide.

Surely though if a food has a free food allowance, it'll work out as less than a Syn per 20 calories? At least you'll have an idea of worst case scenario - that 220 calories of whatever it is will only be 11 Syns at the very worst.

220 calories worth would never equate to 20 Syns, unless I'm missing something here. :confused:

Thanks for this! Obviously just for emergencies, but at least that lovely marshmallow snowball I had the other day is now only 3.5 syns and not the 5 I budgeted!
X

Surely though if a food has a free food allowance, it'll work out as less than a Syn per 20 calories? At least you'll have an idea of worst case scenario - that 220 calories of whatever it is will only be 11 Syns at the very worst.

220 calories worth would never equate to 20 Syns, unless I'm missing something here. :confused:

Yes you're right it would give you worse case scenario but I was talking about getting a reasonably accurate guide to the syn value. For things with a free food allowance you don't get that using this 'rule'.

I have often seen this mentioned, but honestly feel that it falls so far out side the remits or ethos of SW that all it will do is confuse newcomers.
Syns are based on so many variables, not just what's on the back of a pack (hence the reason that the calculator isn't as accurate as the published syns worked out by our wonderful SW team of nutritionists).

Sorry Circes, nothing personal, I usually agree wholeheartedly with your posts ♥

Yes it's just to be used when you're caught out really (I take my book everyhwhere though lol!!)
I would'nt use it unless I had to ,today I was shopping though ,with my food directory and was guessing the syns of things before checking and it is pretty good.
I am far too careful to rely on this though ,but it's a good contingency plan.

I use this method a lot......I find it a Godsend especially when out to decide whether to have certain snacks or not.

If you feel happy using it - I say USE IT!

Jill

I did say only in emergencies and as a guide. I'm certainly not advocating using this regularly or as a substitute to finding out the proper syn value. In fact, I'm more in the school of thought that says don't eat if you're not sure of the syn values.

Me too also, Circes! lol
Just realised I'd read your post and in my head it became the OP, too?! lol

It works for all food which is what I consider rubbish!! eg chocolate, crisps, biscuits. I've never known it be anything other than 1 syn for 20 cals. A 100 cal choc bar is 5 syns. A 200 cal choc bar is 10 syns.

I always use the 20calories = 1 syn rule for snacks. You are not going to be estimating wrongly by doing so, because snack type food such as chocolate etc does not have a free food allowance.

If it is for a free food then I will use the online syn calculator.

But I certainly see no problem in using this rule for snacks. As the online snackulator calculator does exactly the same thing.

Back