Cambridge Diet confusion!

minirog

Silver Member
I have been on the diet for THREE days and I'm baffled. If anyone could help me out I'd be so grateful!

I have 9 stone to lose (I've already lost 18 lbs following a sensible eating plan since Christmas, but wanted desperately to see quicker results!), I'm 5'7", I'm doing Sole Source and haven't cheated yet!!!

Some questions:

1. I miss milk. Really badly. Can you have any on this diet at all? My CDC said she didn't know what would happen if I had milk in tea.

2. She's sold me some bars (her suggestion) and some ready made shakes but should I be having these yet? Do they affect my weight loss? Are there any special rules with them?

3. What is Ketosis and how do I know when I'm in it?

4. How much weight should I be expecting to lose in week one?

5. How often should I weigh? Should my CDC weigh me or do I just weigh myself? Are the CDCs there just to sell the packets?

6. Generally is there anything really key I need to know?

I'm sorry for being so dull. I'm just so so so confused and really want this to work. I feel like I need ALL the facts and I'm not sure have them all. My CDC IS lovely though :)

Thank you in advance for your help

Lots of chubby hugs from Me xx

Hi Minirog, I have just read your thread and see that you have not had a reply yet, let me try to help!
I am not sure about the milk issue... I know on ss+ skimmed is allowed as part of the plan... But I guess due to the fat content it should be avoided on ss.
Week one is usually a big loss for most people and can be anywhere between 5 & 14 lb, but this depends as I only lost 5 lb in my first week.... Most of this first weeks loss will be water until fat burning is established.
Now ketosis is the fat burning state your body needs to be in to lose the weight... This is the state you enter once your body has utilised all of it's carbs store and reserves from the liver. This can take a while and again varies from person to person.... My body took over a week to establish this state! You will know when you are in ketosis as you should get foul tasting/smelly breath, you will be cold, tired to start with until the energetic phase kicks in....that is great... Let me tell you, my house has never been so tidy! You may get headachy ( drink more water for this), you will stop feeling hungry also. You can test your wee with ketostix which you can buy online or some chemists, I swear by these, but they should not be relied on completely as drinking loads can dilute the results.
You said that your CDC has given you bars and Rmd's these are both fine for convenience, but the bars have more carbs and usually it is best to avoid them until ketosis is well established... In week 2 or 3.
Your CDC should weigh you each week or whenever you see her to get your packs and she should chart your progress, she may measure you if you request it too. Try not to weigh yourself too much though as I have made myself totally obsessed with the damn scales to the point they are a permanent fixture in my living room!
Anyway I hope I have helped, good luck on your journey and stick with it and I am sure you will love it.....I know I do, Cd is now part of my life and it is normal to me now not to eat. Good luck again!

Hi Minirog
According to handbook if you do ss+ then you can have 3 x shakes per day plus 200mls of skimmed milk - this might suit you as you are likely to be doing CD for a while and it might just keep you sane if you can use milk in your tea and coffee:)

The book also says that bars should be avoided for the first 2 weeks too - but some CDCs are happy to let you have them if it means you will be able to stick to plan a bit more easily.

Don't worry too much about ketosis - it makes the diet easier but it's not essential in order to be losing good amounts of weight. Lots of people here don't bother testing with ketostix - they just watch the scales go down:):)

If your CDC didn't give you the books re the diet then ask her to do so - she ought to be in regular contact with you to check how it's going, to do your weigh-ins and to answer any questions you have along the way. However some are better than others! You will find there are some great CDCs here who might be able to advise you.

Good luck with CD, and welcome aboard!:)

Thank you so much for your help! I'm off to see my CDC today so we'll see how it goes..... eek!

I feel really guilty for having 25 ml of milk yesterday (it's the first "cheat" I've allowed myself). I wish I hadn't done it. I feel like I'm back too square one :-(

To clarify SS+ is either 3 packs and a small meal from the allowed foods or 4 packs and 200mls of skimmed milk.

Bars should not be introduced until week 3.

3 packs and 200ml is not a set programme, however, you can virtually lose the same on 4 packs and 200ml of skimmed milk so providing you do not exceed 200mls and only use skimmed milk you should be fine having this with your 3 packs.

At 5'8 you would have had to have had 4 packs.

Ooops sorry - should have had the book in my hand when I typed - read it yesterday and clearly my memory is rubbish, lol. Sorry to give wrong info and thanks Linda:)

Back