can anyone help with Information?

Lind

Is feeling the love!
Hi,
I am currently on Slim Fast but I have been looking into trying something else.

I am interested is starting CD but I don't know too much about it, like what you do and how it works etc.

Can anybody help me please?

Hello

I am a newbie to cd and dont know all the techie talk so this is basic info from me until someone more knowledgable comes along!

On sole source you have 3 shakes a day No other food whatsoever (4 if your over 5ft 7) and can only drink water, black coffee or black tea. On week 3 you can also have bars instead of a shake once a day (choc, peanut etc).

If sole source isnt enough you can have 4 shakes a day or i think you can have a meal (i think 710 cals from the list) but not too sure of this option yet so will let someone else advise you.

The first couple days were bad for me i was hungry and emotional. But by day 3 i felt really good and quite energised. It is a hard diet but if you want to see results fast i dont think you can beat it. I lost 12lbs in my 1st week ( i was just over 17 stones) and 2 lbs in my 2nd weigh in but it was totm so thats why that one was low. My cdc said it is usually 2 stones in the 1st 6 weeks then a stone per month thereafter approx.

It costs about £35 - £37 week for 21 shakes (3 a day).

I think it is a brilliant diet and cant wait to make my goal weight but i do think you have to be motivated and want to.

Good luck whatever you decide.

I'd say all of the above.. except that to add that the meal in SS+ is 200 calories.. not 700.. sounds very low but believe me along with 3 'packs' you'll be full :)

For SS you will need your GP's signature to show they 'know' you are on CD SS.. if you don't want to do this then you opt for SS+ the losses are stated to be around 2lb less per month.

You are never hungry if you do the diet right. :)

It's not the easiest of diets, but if you've been doing slimfast you are a step toward it :)

Good luck in making your decision. There are lots of inspirational posts around here to help you make your decision.

Hi Yummymummy,
Thanks for that. I am really thinking about it because I want to loose the weight quickly and safely. I don't want to be on a diet for years and feel as though my whole life revolves around it. Not sure if that makes any sense. lol
Thanks!

SS is hard, but not for long.. once you are in ketosis and if you are good at sticking to the rules then you will lose slightly faster, and do really well :)

SS is only a step away from SF and in honestly SS+ isn't far off at all :)

You have done so well on SF to lose the amount you have, I'm sure you'd do great :)

What is making you want to switch from SlimFast ?
CD is quite hard if you go SS as there is no food whatsoever, so if you feel that you cannot do without food, then one of the higher plans may be better for you.

I have a problem with portion sizes, I even give my hubby and son too much. i am useless at counting calories and I think I need to re-train my brain as far as food goes.
I went onto to slim fast becasue it counts the cals for you but I don't seem to be loosing the weight to well. I am sticking to it but I keep having long spells where I don't loose anything.
Someone suggested that my body had got used to it. I not sure thats true, but you tend to listen to everything when you're dieting and vunerable. :confused:

I have a problem with portion sizes, I even give my hubby and son too much. i am useless at counting calories and I think I need to re-train my brain as far as food goes.
I went onto to slim fast because it counts the cals for you but I don't seem to be loosing the weight to well. I am sticking to it but I keep having long spells where I don't loose anything.
Someone suggested that my body had got used to it. I not sure thats true, but you tend to listen to everything when you're dieting and vunerable. :confused:

I had similar with weight watchers. Yes i lost a stone on it but it took months and also because you have a points allowace i was still eating rubbish but just not going over the points allowance so it was not teaching me new eating habits.

Cd is hard but the results are quick and if you go thro all the steps it does teach you better eating habits and makes you more aware of what your body needs and can take without putting it all back on again.

The only thing it cant give you is the will power and you do need it to be on this diet. But i found once i had my 1st weigh in that was motivation in itself and even tho i only lost 2lbs last week i know that i will have better weeks so it spurred me back on.

How do i go about starting it then?

Do I just have to go through the CD website?

And....what is ketosis and what does it do?

Sorry guys about all these questions. :confused:

yeah if you go on the website you can find a counsellor in your area. How it works is you get your packs from a counsellor who will help you every step of the way - I lost five stone on ww and then used cd to lose the rest - am back on plan for a bit post chrimbo but it works ... Good luck with your journey xx

I looked on the cd website for my nearest counsellor and she/he will sell you the packs, guide you thro the whole process and you will have your weekly weigh in's with him/her.

Cambridge Diet find a counsellor

(borrowed from flirty40greeneyes post/sticky) Ketosis is:

Ketosis is another name for the "fat burning" process. When you start the Cambridge Diet, during the first one or two days your body uses glucose (a simple sugar stored by the body as the complex carbohydrate glycogen), for its main energy requirements. Once the body has used up its stored carbohydrate, it then switches to its other energy source - unwanted fat. A ketogenic diet is very low in carbohydrate.
The body's stored fat is broken down into little fatty acid molecules called ketones and these circulate taking energy to all the tissues in the body. The Cambridge Diet has been carefully researched and formulated so that when used sole source it has just enough carbohydrate for immediate energy and none left over for storage and induces a mild ketosis. The smallest intake of additional carbohydrate can upset this fragile balance and cause carbohydrate to be stored along with water, causing a plateau.
The mild ketosis is an intrinsic part of the design of the sole source programme because it has significant benefits - it is the key to the comfort for the dieter:
  • It reduces the feeling of hunger - removing the temptation to err!
  • It induces a sense of well-being with good energy levels
    Far from being harmful, ketosis is an important safety factor - the body gets all the energy it needs from the breakdown of its fats stores, thus protecting muscle tissue and vital organs
  • Ketones are the products produced by your body when it burns fat. Your body excretes these ketones in the urine and when you breathe out. This is the reason why you can get bad breath and nasty taste in your mouth when on sole source.
The ketones circulate in the bloodstream. When they reach the brain they produce two really pleasant effects: you stop feeling hungry and gain a tremendous feeling of well-being. This helps you to stick to the diet.
The Cambridge Diet has been very carefully formulated to produce this mild, beneficial ketosis. This is possible because of the limited amount of carbohydrate in the diet. If you have any additional carbohydrate - skimmed milk in your tea or coffee, an apple or a slice of bread - you could break the ketosis. You will feel hungry (and may start to eat) and the feeling of well-being will disappear. You may also deposit glycogen which retains water, leading to a plateau.

What is the ketone test?
This is a simple urine test which indicates the presence of ketones. The mild ketosis induced by the Cambridge Diet ensures that sufficient ketones are produced to give adequate energy with some left over which are passed into the urine.
Two simple tests are available from the chemist - Ketostix and Ketur-Test. They are plastic strips with a felt tip. The tip will react and turn pink if ketones are present in the urine.
Most dieters achieve ketosis after three days on the sole source programme. If, after this time a test gives a negative reading (the top does not change colour), it is reasonable to assume that the dieter is deviating from sole source and taking in extra carbohydrate. On the other hand, a positive reading (the tip turns pink) can be very motivating for someone who is in a pre-menstrual plateau. It is tangible evidence that their body is indeed still burning off fat, even though the loss is not showing on the scales.

Thank you so much for that. I feel much better being more informed about things. Cheers guys!! :D

Back