Can CD ever stop working for some people?

broxi

ButtErFly
Hi all,

I just need a bit of encouragement here. I've not lost a pound all week on CD. And previously I've been losing every other day.

I have abig problem though and I desperately need advice. Every other diet I have been on either doesn't work or stops working for no reason and I think that's happening now.

Here are my failed dieting attempts with no cheating whatsover.

• Weight watchers - 8lb first two weeks,then nothing for 2 months - gave up
  • Scottish Slimmers- 1/2 lb in 2 weeks - gave up
  • F2 - nothing in 3 months - gave up
  • Atkins - 3 stone in 4 months, then no more for 6 months even though I still had a few stone to lose. It no longer works for me - I can lose an initial 1/2 stone then nothing.
  • Orlistat - 8lbs then nothing else in 6 months
  • Slimming World - 1st 7lb a pound a week then stopped losing for about 6 months - gave up
As you can see I've tried them all and I never once cheated on these diets. I think my body gets wise to the diet. On CD this week I took a tiny piece of turkey and brocoli, cauliflower that wouldn't fill a saucer on Saturday but hadn't lost before or after that. I'm terrified that this is my weight loss stopped like on all the other diets. I don't even know if the doctor could help me as they all just say to me, "It is quite simple, take in less calories and exercise more" which is very annoying because clearly that isn't the case with me.

Sorry to ramble on but I really need advice and does anybody know if this diet can stop working for some people. I know this could just be a plateau but it seems strange the way I went from losing every 2 days to suddenly not losing for 8 days. I also don't think I could stick this out for any length of time without a weight loss.

Please help if you have any answers for me.

Hang on Broxi, I had lots of stalls and plateaus with CD and I did lose slowly, but it was worth sticking with it. I cannot comment on the past diets but I know CD DOES work and also that your body sometimes stalls and the losses stop, then start up again. If you gave Orlistat 6 months cheat-free, for example, then please give CD time as well... it WON'T let you down.

xxx

Thanks Katy, did you go weeks early on like this without losing too? Have other diets failed you? The problem is that this is such a hard diet to do although ironically, I'm finding it easier this week for the first time!

I can only comment on Slimming World. I lost 2.5stone with SW but it took me 18 months to do it with lots of stops and start and 100% dedication, that I eventually gave in. But it did change the way I cooked and my family do eat healthier. I miss eating their food and once I get to my target I will eat sensibly using SW. But what I have lost on CD in 2 weeks took my months on SW :(

Hi Broxi,
Your doing so well hon, I really understand how you must be feeling but looking at your losses so far on cd you are doing fab.. I can see one week where you stayed the same but the week before that you lost 4 pounds which is great.. I have had smaller losses for a few weeks then a bigger loss... Look down at my losses you will see.
I think you should stick with it hon your doing so well I am sure next week you will have a big loss..
Hang in there hon your doing fab xx

Hiya,
My pattern was different, on week 5 I went up to ss+ for xmas, for two weeks, and that was great but then ended in a massive binge. (I see this as a good thing now as it made me face my food issues & start to address them).

I missed a week of weigh-in as I knew I'd have gained, then began to lose again. 4 weeks on I moved up to 810 as was working away, & thought it gave me better chance of staying 100%. I did this, and chose to stay on 810 from that point as working with food in picture was a big learning curve. From that point I lost slowly and plateaued often, but the weight kept going. I just had to refuse to be discouraged if I had a stall-week & trust that the losses would catch up.

I had tried many diets before and failed. SW was most successful, got 10 weeks in and then lost focus and faith. CD is tough, bit it has turned my life around, no joke. Please give it a chance.

xxx

Yes True Blue, I loved SW and bought all the cookery books and fed my family with it all and that's how I want to maintain too if I ever get to target! I only ever lost 1lb a week on it but didn't mind that cos it was so good but it was when my weight loss stopped for months that I gave up. Did SW stop working for you too?

Hi Broxi.. perhaps you need to change the plan for a week, to ss+, it might be that you now need extra cals as you've lost a lot already. Might be worth chatting to the CDC on here, maybe KD? I was on ss+ last week and still lost 3lb, I look at other ppl's posts (as you do) and their losses on ss+ are the same if not better then ss. Also perhaps up your water intake? Good luck honey. xxx

Oh thanks, Katy, that is really encouraging me and what I need to hear.
Thanks too CW-you are always so encouraging. I'll keep going just now to see what happens- I'm just paranoid because of my history. xxx

I suppose i just want to know has anyone else had my failure on other diets even although they've stuck to them and does anybody know if it is possible for CD not to work on some people???

No, CD will always work if sticking to it. But what you have to take into account are all the variable we as humans have to work with. We are not machines. The following things will affect our weight loss.
1. Sleep - not sleeping - you wont lose as much weight
2. Hormones
3. Water retention
4. Stress

etc

remember the average is 1 stone a month. You've burst that at 20lbs in 4 weeks, your body will need a wee minute to just take a rest before it moves on.

I think on this diet especially we push ourselves hard to expect more. If you had lost 20lbs over 5 weeks would you feel disappointed? No?

Well look at it that way, you've lost 20lbs over 5 weeks.

Be a bit kinder to yourself, and the scales will move next week. Look at the bigger picture of where you want to be, in clothes frames not weight.

Thanks Lexie, I'll see where I'm at this time next week. xxx

Broxi - I'm a daily weigher and have lost nothing this week so far and WI is tomorrow. On other diets I've stalled and then given up.
Am I concerned this week that nothing has moved yet? NO!! :)

If it was any other diet I would assume a plateau and feel fed up.
With CD I KNOW it works and carries on working.
I think that other people have STS some weeks and still got to goal. It's impossible to not lose on this diet in the long term.
I don't care if this week is a poor loss for me. I have lost loads since starting and that's all that matters to me. I am proud of myself and my body for getting this far and together we will get to goal regardless of how long it takes!!!!

Thanks very much Liz for help. I do need to give this longer than one week STS. It's just because of that happening all the time before that I worry so much. But I'm focused and I'll see how this week goes. xxx

I find that stepping up every 6th week really kick starts the ss back up. This could be you too!!! everyone is different and if your body has decided to go into "famine" mode early, then give it a boost. I may be bold but could even suggest trying to step up every week you expect your totm. SS+ isnt that much in the differrence anyway. some of us have a stronger reaction to the metabolism slow down and we need to boost it more often, i have seen this with body builders and "professional" dieters, whwer the metabolism goes into famine mode after a period on vlcd and they add food for one week and then go back down the following week. Just like CD (but they are now suggesting week 12? when they used to do it every 5th week) Just a suggestion. i use CD this way.

Hi well and good, I didn't really understand that. What do you mean by famine mode? Maybe that's why diets haven't worked with me in the past. Do you think I should go up a plan for a week to see what happens? Thanks for reply- I'm just a bit slow sometimes on the uptake! x

everyone is different and if your body has decided to go into "famine" mode early, then give it a boost.

Starvation mode doesn't really happen with CD. The metabolism does slow, but fat loss will always happen under 800 calories, because the metabolism will never slow down enough for it not to work.

Having said that, upping the plans can help a little.

Starvation mode doesn't really happen with CD. The metabolism does slow, but fat loss will always happen under 800 calories, because the metabolism will never slow down enough for it not to work.

Having said that, upping the plans can help a little.
But KD, isnt the reason for stepping up every 12 weeks (or 5 weeks as it used to be) to reduce the risk of losing lean muscle mass? re:this is what happens in famine mode, because there is no more fat for the body to burn so it turns to the lean muscle? Why would it turn to lean muscle otherwise? . just curious as we all have different info (but shouldnt really)

Hi well and good, I didn't really understand that. What do you mean by famine mode? Maybe that's why diets haven't worked with me in the past. Do you think I should go up a plan for a week to see what happens? Thanks for reply- I'm just a bit slow sometimes on the uptake! x
Broxie, what i mean is if you step up a plan for a week(and then return back down the following week), you may find that it can boost your metabolism a bit and you may see a better loss. I plateaued for a few weeks and did this. It seems to have helped

Back