Can contraception stop you losing weight?

Esther Fester

Hi ladies

Was just wondering if anyone had any views on contraception / weight gain. I am considering coming off the depo injection because I am convinced it has had a large part to play in my weight gain. When I first went on it three years ago I was a LOT thinner than now and am wondering if I should try coming off it and seeing if anything changes / it speeds up my weight loss?

Anyone got any views on this?

I'm on the fence with this one.

I've been on the combined pill for 10 years and have recently moved onto the mini pill. While deciding which method of contraception to move to I've read lots info on several websites and weight gain is listed as a "side effect" on pretty much all pills/depo etc. But on the flip side so is a lot of other things. In short, I guess we'll never know because there is no definative answer. Some people even suggest that they have lst weight so I'm still fuddled! The only reason I changed to the mini was because I was told/read the risks are not as high/severe as the combined. I'm not hugely over weight (9st 9lb) but I know a lot of people are put on the mini pill due to being over weight so maybe it is safer?

Who knows!!??

id love there to be a definitive answer to this!! i was on the depo for a year and put on a load of weight when i came off it, but to be honest i was already big before so i dont think i can blame it entirely on that, id like to start having the injection again but i dont want to put back on all the weight ive lost :( ive talked to my nurse about it and she wasnt much help at all xx

I came off the pill at christmas time, after being on and off it for 22 yrs. i was hoping that i may be able to lose weight a little easier. sorry to say- nothing changed.

when I was on contraception stuff I put tons on - I don't think it can mak you put on weight but increases the apitite combined with what I eat was a load of rubbish as well!

My Nurse said depo would make me gain weight but I lost a stone in the first 20 weeks. Haven't lost any since, but haven't been totally on plan, sooooo ...

I've got the implant and just lost nearly 1.5 stone. A friend of mine has the implant and has lost 4 stone.

I talked to the nurse about this before having the implant as it was something I was concerned with, especially as I'm taking antidepressants as well, and she said it could increase my appetite - it doesn't put the chocolate and cakes in my mouth! When I gain weight is the times I'm pigging out on chocolate - when I stick to the plan I lose weight so personally, for me, I know I cannot blame the implant (or the antidepressants) for my weight gain. It's me that puts the food in my mouth!

I was on depo for a few years and put on well over 2 stone.

I tried diets in that time but never really lost much so always gave up.

I have now been off it about a year and the weight (until last week) was coming off nicely. I'm now back to just under my pre-depo adult weight. Hopefully the weight will continue to come off.

I was on depo for a few years and put on well over 2 stone.

I tried diets in that time but never really lost much so always gave up.

I have now been off it about a year and the weight (until last week) was coming off nicely. I'm now back to just under my pre-depo adult weight. Hopefully the weight will continue to come off.

Thats interesting. When I went on depo I was size 10 - 12 and now am a 14. Its not as if I have a OH at the moment or anything so whats the point of being on it? Could always try coming off it and seeing if it made a difference?

I have recently changed my pill. The first one was one that I had been on since I was 15 and as I was younger it wasnt a problem. As my weight gained, my periods got worse and then didnt improve 9 stones lighter. My new pill stops the cramps that I was getting before and also I have lost consecutively every week except for last week which was my * week and I sts. Normally I gain weight.

I'm not really sure there is a definitive answer to this one. I went onto depo a few years ago, and was a bit worried as the pamplet said something about how with some people it may cause weight gain. But then I thought about it and realised, that also meant, for some people it doesnt. I reckon you could look at the potential side effects in the bumph for a hundred different medications etc and nearly all of them would mention some risk of weight gain - they just need to cover themselves.

In my case, I went on depo and actually did gain weight. But at the same time pretty much, I gave up smoking, and had been living with my boyfriend - so maybe there was that whole contented, not trying too hard thing coupled with eating biscuits instead of having a fag!

I joined SW this February and have lost 2.5 stone - whether or not the Depo was responsible for the weight gain, I certainly dont think its prevented me from losing.

I also switched to the mini pill a couple of months ago, and havent noticed any signifcant difference there either.

Only thing is though - if I have a gain or disappointing weight loss - I cant blame it on my * week - I dont have any!

I was on the pill when I first started Slimming World - didn't hinder my losses

I switched to the depo injection and it didn't hinder my weight losses either.

I recently came off the depo injection and I'm on nothing and it's still not hindering my weight loss either.

I believe that contraception will only hinder your weight loss if you let it. It's down to each person and it's different as everyone has different levels of hormones. :eek:

Thats interesting. When I went on depo I was size 10 - 12 and now am a 14. Its not as if I have a OH at the moment or anything so whats the point of being on it? Could always try coming off it and seeing if it made a difference?

The depo in particular is well known for contributing to weight gain which is why they weigh you and record it each time you go for a jab.

Its certainly made a difference to me but each body's reaction will be different I guess.

hia hun. This is a tricky one!
Many women claim that the depo has caused them to gain weight.
Many studies have been done appearing to confirm this - however the studies were all of poor quality.
Only one randomised, placebo control, blinded study (the gold standard of studies) has been done on this subject - and it showed no risk of weight gain, in the the short term. However there is no reliable evidence as to long term effects.
If you are worried about this, maybe you could switch to a copper coil - this is the only type of long term contraception with no hormones, so weight gain shouldn't be an issue.
X

Last edited by a moderator:
i dont know whether contraception adds weiht but certain pills def increase your appetite. i had the mirena coil put in last aug in a hope to control dreadful periods and since i had it i have not been able to get below 13stone!! no matter what diet ive been doing, so im wondering whether or not to have it removed and put up with the periods ( they still 10-14 days long now) i dont need it for contraception as had tubal tie after twins 3 years ago!!

Hi there,

I went on the depo injection last year and have put on over 2 stone. Its not all down to it, but I certainly feel I gained wait quicker since I have been on the injection.

Claire x

hey, I have been on the depo for about 5 years.. possibly could have contributed to my weight gain after having my daughter. But since joining slimming world I look forward to having my depo!! Although it is a pain in the ass (lol!!) on the week I have it when i weigh in I lose between 3-5lbs :-D.. with conversations with the nurse we have said it is probably where my hormone levels drop before the next one is due.. I actually usually have mine a week early to make sure I'm covered. Since I have been doing slimming world I have had 2.. in 2 weeks I will have the next one :)

Back