Can I ask about Constipation?

Discussion in 'Cambridge Diet 100% Posts!' started by November_girl, 23 June 2009 Social URL.

1. November_girl

November_girl Member

Sorry, I'm not sure if its ok to mention this but on sole sourse I sometimes fine I get a bit constipated:eek:. I take laxatives for this but the package warns not to use them for an extended time. If I am on the diet for 6-8 weeks will this do me any harm? Please help and sorry if I have posted in the wrong place! :confused:

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Keira82

Keira82 Full Member

Start Weight:
    25st8lb
    Current Weight:
    25st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting/XLS
    Hi november_girl don't feel embarrassed about asking - i think the most on this forum will agree that anusol is the best. Search for a thread 'constipation' it was huge topic about 2 weeks ago and there is alot of advise from immediate help to going forward and avoiding it!

Hope all is well again soon x

4. Caz

Caz Slimming down the aisle

Start Weight:
    19st1.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st6.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.7lb(3.25%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting / SML / Orlistat
    My only thing would be, are you actually constipated? If it's just that you're not going very regularly, then you're most likely not. You have to remember you're taking in a lot less, so there's a lot less waste, and so less need to err.... excrete that waste!! If it's a case of you feel like you have to go, you're bloated, it's painful and you're having to strain a lot, then it would suggest that yes you are constipated. Try upping your water. And also maybe give something like psyllium husks or the fibre-69 a try.

5. Eternalflame

Eternalflame Excited about the new me!

Start Weight:
    16st6.5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11.5lb(4.99%)
    Diet:
    SW
    CD seems to give most ppl constipation and I've suffered too. Movicol by GP and also bought some fibre from herbal shop. Moe water helps too. xx

6. NicolaR

NicolaR Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st9lb
    Current Weight:
    11st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st5lb
    Lost(%):
    5st7lb(33.05%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I think I remember Reading in the previous posts that you shouldn't start taking the fibre supplements until your constipation is sorted, and then you take the fibre to stop it coming back? If you take it while already constipated it could make matters worse!

7. Caz

Caz Slimming down the aisle

Start Weight:
    19st1.5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st6.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.7lb(3.25%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting / SML / Orlistat
    Oops, sorry, yeah I meant trying the psyllium husks and fibre-69 as a preventative rather than a cure!

8. Madferret

Madferret Mad as a Hatter

Start Weight:
    12st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Dukan
    TMI I know but, before CD I used to go to the loo (no2) every day... now it can be 2 or 3 days inbetween visits..
    Its as the poster said earlier - you aren't taking anything in so there is nothing to come out...

Tracy

9. MissPiggynomore

MissPiggynomore just wants to be slim

Start Weight:
    12st1lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st2lb
    Lost(%):
    1st5lb(11.24%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Be really careful taking laxatives too often. I learned that the hard way a few years ago! I was doing the lemonade diet and took a senna tea every day for about 4 weeks but then felt constipated when I stopped, so carried on taking it, trying to cut it down. After about 2 months I read up the dangers of too many laxitives and stopped....and so did my ability to excrete!!! After over a week I was in absolute agony and felt like I could explode. I ended up going to the chemist and being put on lactulose which is a safer form of keeping you regular (although not allowed on CD due to the high sugar content). I discovered that taking lots of laxatives makes the body lazy. Peristalysis, the contracting of the bowel to move matter through stops as the laxatives do all the hard work and the body gets used to not having to work at this....so when you stop taking laxatives the bowel takes some re-training and reminding how to do its job and get things going again and isn't a pleasant experience!! I suffer with constipation a lot, even when I'm eating normally so got myself well prepared for it on this diet as I knew it would get me again! I take fiber everyday, and once a week (2 or 3 days before weigh in) I drink one cup of senna tea (it's ok to have the odd cup), I use slimatea from Holland and Barrett which helps a little, and then I use a suppository (I bought Sainsburys own make which work really well) then the day before weigh in I use this, which works in a matter of minutes and is the best thing I ever bought!!! I like to make sure I'm ok for weigh in but this is just my choice. I think it's normal to only go once or twice a week on SS, so as longas you're going once a week I wouldn't expect that you're overly constipated. I spoke to the chemist to make sure I'm not going to screw my ability to go naturally and she said it's fine, suppositories are apparently the safest method as they don't interfere with the digestive tract or function of the body so no long term effect. Appologies if too much detail but hey, we're all in the same boat and we all poop!!! haha. Hope this helps

10. minibum

minibum Full Member

Diet:
    Slim & Save
    I've had a bit of this too and definitely find it's worse if i haven't had enough water. I would stick to the natural stuff (psyllium husks) and have them in a shake as a 'porridge'. X

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.