Can i ask

mrs big b

Gold Member
Since starting almost 6 weeks ago I've stuck to 5 syns or less . Now I'm getting people telling me I'll loose better if I have all my syns . I thought the guideline was between 5 and 15 a day . Does it matter that its the lower end every day ? Or do I really have to have nearer the 15 . I'm happy as I am really if I feel like a treat I will use them but have been happy till now . Also if I do increase will I gain now . Bit worried about that one as I've done so well up till now

I'm with you. I range between 3 and 10 a day so I average out at 5. I was told by someone at group to have them all (they actually said they have crisps and chocolate before bed to use them up) but I have comfort in knowing I can and for the most part don't need them. There's so much free food I don't really want them.

Anyway it hasn't really done any harm so far. Sorry for the rambling :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I'm the same too. Have between 5-10 a day but hover towards the lower end. I don't feel the need to have the full amount but as already said it's good to know they r there if u want them and i don't really want to eat junk before bed to make up my syns. I'd say just do what is best for you.

10 syns a day is only 200 calories worth or 1400 over the course of the week. In general terms you need 3500 calories to put on a pound so having the full 10 a day will not affect your losses. Ask yourself whether the number of syns you are having at the moment is sustainable for the long term. Some people find they need to cut back on syns as they approach target and if you are using only a small number of syns you have nowhere to go. And syns don't need to be for things like chocolate or wine - it could be that more luxurious yoghurt instead of a mullerlight, pesto, curry paste, a bit more cheese or bread, butter, an avocado, nuts or seeds etc.

Thanks for your opinions and glad it's not just me I enjoy fruit yoghurts so tend to snack on them . I think if I really wanted something I'd use them but as of yet not felt the need

I tend to be at the lower end as well - with me, it's very all or nothing. I either have a lot of stuff, or pretty much nothing. In fact, some days I struggle to hit five, because I just don't want it.

I don't find this does affect my weight loss, I just find that I use my syns if I'm feeling somewhat restricted.

Most days I'm at the lower end, but then I'm a syn saver, as I like having a take-away or a meal out, and can fit it in better that way. I think if you're not hungry then don't use them!

I agree listen to your body. If your are getting all the nutrition you need, are not hungry and are losing well... if it ain't broke don't fix it! Take care!

I rarely have any syns Sun-Thurs (10 max) Fri and Sat I have 20 day for my vodka, I have lost just over 4st since starting with SW in Jan this year, (6st loss in total in a yr due to low cal diet before *finding* SW)
If it works for you go with it, I too have heard of people being told the have to have all their syns daily and forcing down choc/crisps they dont actually want!

I agree with this thread. In the past I have been so syn focussed and every thing fitted around me having syns. Problem was I was addicted to chocolate and couldn't stave off the cravings. This time I have been free food focussed and hardly ever use my syns. This way if I do go out and have the odd treat (which I haven't really done as I don't want those cravings back) then it doesn't matter. I have wanted to be like a normal person for ages being able to live this way and now I am. My weight losses have been twice as fast although it is starting to slow down a bit now but I feel tons better and the addictions have gone. Also if I need more HEs then that is fine too although doesn't happen very often. I say go with your instincts and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Xx

I seriously don't know how people don't use their syns. I am meant to try and stick to 10 syns a day on advice of my consultant as I haven't had a loss since beginning of August and I am finding it so much of a struggle.
I need to spend time looking at peoples diaries to see where I am going wrong. Yesterday I had 15 as I had two slices of the pre sliced garlic bread and a sliver of fruit cake.

Well I've decided to do what I'm doing think it's working for me :) there's so many lovely free & superfree foods I don't need to worry if there aren't many syns in my diet thanks for all your replies .

I seriously don't know how people don't use their syns. I am meant to try and stick to 10 syns a day on advice of my consultant as I haven't had a loss since beginning of August and I am finding it so much of a struggle.
I need to spend time looking at peoples diaries to see where I am going wrong. Yesterday I had 15 as I had two slices of the pre sliced garlic bread and a sliver of fruit cake.

I am so full with all the free food I don't feel the need to use my syns, but maybe some people use small "tweaks" as an earlier thread showed, I for one refuse to syn my grated apple I use to sweeten my porridge as its just the one apple which I would eat anyway :D

The reason that consultants say to have between 5 & 15, but an average of 10 syns is twofold. 1) it reduces feelings of deprivation. 2) when you eventually plateau in your weight loss you are then supposed to reduce your syns to 5 a day. If you are already only having 5 a day then you've nothing to reduce, except free & superfree foods, which should be a last resort.

Having said this, do whatever works for you. Don't eat stuff just for the sake of it.

You could always cook with olive oil one meal a day as its 6 syns a tablespoon so that would be a way of adding syns in whilst not adding bulky food.

I am so full with all the free food I don't feel the need to use my syns, but maybe some people use small "tweaks" as an earlier thread showed, I for one refuse to syn my grated apple I use to sweeten my porridge as its just the one apple which I would eat anyway :D

Completely off topic - but you don't need to syn grated apple. Only if you puree it.

Grate away people. Grate away.

xx

Stackhead said:
Completely off topic - but you don't need to syn grated apple. Only if you puree it.

Grate away people. Grate away.

xx

I think you do need to syn if you grate it, cook it or puree it. If you grate apple & then put it in hot porridge it is basically getting cooked - last time i did it it dissolved to nothing. Tbh though i don't think most people do syn it.

At the end of the day any major weight loss plan must make assumptions on the habits of it's followers. SW, quite correctly, assumes that the reason most people are overweight and wishing to lose is because they have a fondness for "bad food", ie those foods that have a syn value such as chocolate, crisps, wine etc etc. Insisting that people eat a controlled amount of these foods daily, in the form of 5 -15 syns, is a way of enforcing a moderate approach to keep these "typical" followers on plan. No 2 people are the same though and there can be no such thing as a "one size fits all" plan. Eat what works for you; there are roughly the same calories in a fat free yoghurt and an apple as there is in a curly-wurly; there is no consultant on this planet who will convince me that the curly wurly (syns) will help me lose weight better than the yoghurt and the apple, if the yoghurt and the apple are what I want!! Kingleds is right though; it is all about giving yourself somewhere to go once you start to seriously shift the weight and stall; you need to be able to reduce your overall food intake to continue to lose but if this is perhaps just making your portions of free food a bit smaller then so be it! Calories are calories, at the end of the day; SW is simply a very clever way of getting the most out of them

Back