Can I have a Gin & Slim Line tonic on SS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat-bee

Silver Member
As per the title, I know gin has no carbs, but was wondering if it'll knock me out of ketosis if I have 1??....:D

Thanks

CatBeeX

it can be really dangerous to drink while on ss hon. i wouldn't risk it. people have had some really horrendous experiences!!

oh Pooh! lol

Thanks for the replies, I wasnt sure whether to have one or not, but I wont bother if its a bit risky...:eek:

Thanks

CatBeeX

I appreciate everyones opinion, but I would try it and see. Personally I have a large vodka and soda every night, sometimes more, I havent had any problems, i stay in ketosis and this week I have lost about 9lb unofficially ( ie my scales not CDC) and thats since Tuesdays weigh-in. MY CDC said Gin or Vodka was fine, and some of his clients drink a bottle of wine a the weekend and they are still losing. i have read the danger thread, but honestly, if I couldnt have a drink I know I couldnt do this. No lemon though!!!! Should I have any bad effects i will of course stop immediately. My CDC sais the biggest risk was that you would then lose inhibition and have a kebab or something on teh way home.

Drinking alcohol while SSing is strictly forbidden on any food replacement diet and I think unfortunately anyone who says different is greatly mistaken.

Dangers Of Alcohol When In Ketosis
Hi all,

I cannot remember where I got this snippet from but it may be worth a read as we are now coming into the Christmas period and temptation is always around the corner!!

Link found: Post-exercise ketosis, ketone bodies

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE KETOTIC!
Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.
A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.
Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!
20 Years' Service Award

Special Merit Award Winner 2005

I think Linda CD Counsellor would of informed us if Cambridge Diet changed it to allow alcohol while SSing.

Love Mini xxx

I appreciate everyones opinion, but I would try it and see. Personally I have a large vodka and soda every night, sometimes more, I havent had any problems, i stay in ketosis and this week I have lost about 9lb unofficially ( ie my scales not CDC) and thats since Tuesdays weigh-in. MY CDC said Gin or Vodka was fine, and some of his clients drink a bottle of wine a the weekend and they are still losing. i have read the danger thread, but honestly, if I couldnt have a drink I know I couldnt do this. No lemon though!!!! Should I have any bad effects i will of course stop immediately. My CDC sais the biggest risk was that you would then lose inhibition and have a kebab or something on teh way home.

I cant believe your cdc said that to you. Surely she cant be going around telling her clients its ok to drink? when i first started cd my cdc warned me not to drink. Not saying anything bad to you sammy i just cant get over your cdc!!

Dont do it - It can be very bad for you
Abstinance is the only way - I used to drink 2 bottles of white wine per night but not touched a drop for 11 days

Cheers

James

Just to reiterate, drinking alcohol on SS is a complete and utter no-no. Apart from it not being part of the plan - four packs, water, that's it - alcohol during ketosis can be dangerous.

I don't want to contradict anyone's CDC, but it is most definitely not acceptable - whether it affects your weight loss or not - it is DANGEROUS.

Im shocked that cd have allowed this cdc to continue tbh.. my guess is they dont know or something would be done about it.
just wait until some poor soul doing ssing ends up drinking, then in hospital.. then cd will be the ones blamed, not the cdc
x x

As per the title, I know gin has no carbs, but was wondering if it'll knock me out of ketosis if I have 1??....:D

Thanks

CatBeeX

it may not knock you out of ketosis as such but it will stop the fat burning process because the body will metabolize the alchol first . even if you test with ketostix it may show that you are still in ketosis, when infact youre not because the alcohol can give a 'false positive' reading becausee the stix are checking for a specific ketone in the urine.

why are you even considering drinking alcohol? if youre doing SS, then where in the SS plan is alcohol an allowed drink?

its cheating. just like having a big fat chocolae bar... only more risky

please dont do it.
it can be detremental to your health.

you may think youre being clever and getting away with it, but its not worth it.

I had a friend that ended up in hospital after drinking while SSing - she returned home three days later after been a very poorly girl.
Personally I wouldn't even sniff any alcohol until SSing had finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back