Can skimmed milk knock you out of ketosis?

pickle

Banned
???
My CDC said that a couple of cups a day with skimmed milk won't knock you out of ketosis or slow weightloss down. Is this wrong advice?

I'm afraid it can. Some people can get away with a very small amount in a cup of tea, but not everyone, it depends how sensitive you are. It's best not to have it but I know that not everyone can drink tea without milk. If its for coffee, you're better off using a bit of vanilla shake.

I'm afraid it can. Some people can get away with a very small amount in a cup of tea, but not everyone, it depends how sensitive you are. It's best not to have it but I know that not everyone can drink tea without milk. If its for coffee, you're better off using a bit of vanilla shake.

This is a sort of subsiduary Q to Pickles. If you find you have to have a smidge of milk in an occasional cuppa (eg someone makes it for you out of habit,but you havn't told them you're on CD) does make any difference to ketosis if it's full,semi,or skimmed? If skimmed has had the fat taken off,it must contain more protein & presumably sugar volume or volume,but of course belower n fat & cals. Can you clarify please. yours confuzzled of worcs.

I'm afraid it can. Some people can get away with a very small amount in a cup of tea, but not everyone, it depends how sensitive you are.

I didn't think it would MD:confused: After all, on 790 you should still be in ketosis and yet you get 1/2pt of skimmed milk.

I think the problem with having some milk in tea when you are SSing, is that sometimes one thing 'off the book' can lead to another. Then you start down that slippery slope.

Its always best if you can to follow diet to the letter, most people on 790 if they had their skimmed milk allowance would be in ketosis but to those who are sensitive it could in theory knock you out. Also some people one or two cups of tea leads to four or five cups. If you are going down the route of having one or two cups a day keep an eye to check you are in ketosis to make sure you arent one of the unlucky ones. Try the alternatives first like vanilla in your tea or some people have a hot cappachino like a cup of coffee .

julesrush

Thanks for the replies...yesterday i had a cup of tea with skimmed milk in it but don't think i will be doing it again...at least not daily anyway...just wanted to check :)

Pickle
XX

unsweetened soya milk is much lower in carbs than skimmed milk and low in calories too, so i sometimes have a little in a decaf cup of tea at night. I've found the best tasting one is the Tesco uht (cheapo range) that you find in the same aisle as the normal uht milk (not in the fridges).
It contains 27 calories per 100mls and 0.1g carb per 100g so there should be no issues when using small amounts of going out of ketosis.

Davina

I didn't think it would MD:confused: After all, on 790 you should still be in ketosis and yet you get 1/2pt of skimmed milk.

I think the problem with having some milk in tea when you are SSing, is that sometimes one thing 'off the book' can lead to another. Then you start down that slippery slope.

Ooh sorry, I might be wrong on that one then, I did come out of ketosis on 790 but can't say for sure if it was the milk or not.

I think that like you say you do have to be careful where it leads, if you can stick to it, to the letter, then that is the best way to go. But obviously if a small amount of milk is going to be the difference that makes you stay on the plan or not, then go for it.

If you can try and continue with black tea, I cut milk out of my tea over 20 years ago when I went on my diet and at the end couldnt stand the stuff in tea and have never had it since, your taste buds can get used to it.

unsweetened soya milk is much lower in carbs than skimmed milk and low in calories too, so i sometimes have a little in a decaf cup of tea at night. I've found the best tasting one is the Tesco uht (cheapo range) that you find in the same aisle as the normal uht milk (not in the fridges).
It contains 27 calories per 100mls and 0.1g carb per 100g so there should be no issues when using small amounts of going out of ketosis.

Davina

Well I never! thanks for that. of course it makes sense as to make soya palatable they have to bung loads of sugar in & hence the problems of bad teeth in kids fed on it. Do you know if they've changed he sweetener in non unsweetened soya milk?

no, i don't know about the sweetener used but definitely for our purposes we should only use unsweetened. Don't forget it is not technically in the rules to use soya milk but if the carbs and cals are less than skimmed milk and you are on a plan that allows skimmed, ie from 790 up, i can't imagine a small amount can hurt though i stand to be corrected.

Davina

I really struggle with not having milk in my coffee. i now have a very weak coffee with a sweetener in - even though I didn't have sugar before. It makes it just about drinkable for me.

I really struggle with not having milk in my coffee. i now have a very weak coffee with a sweetener in - even though I didn't have sugar before. It makes it just about drinkable for me.

I'm the same -v. weak & one sweetener makes it palatable.
I've also bought some green tea,which is nice(er) black, & something that takes me back 30 years when I used to sneak offto cambridge on sat afternoons to see my first 'grown-up' boyfriend,who was at uni there. he always brewed up Lapshang Souchong. It's light & smokey at the same time& also ok sans milk.

Back