can these baby names be shortened?

big bear

A bear on a mission!
I hate names that are shortened, so please tell me what u think of these names & if/what the could be shortened to

Lydia
Erin

Ewan
Lawrence

My friend is Lyd or Liddy.

Erin and Ewan don't lend themselves to shortening in my opinion.

Both Lawrences I know are 'Larry'.

My MIL chose name that she thought couldnt be shortened- My hubby's name is Ian- mates call him ee-if they are determined people will find a way !!

We did the opposite-we chose names that have a can be shortened-in more than one way- so that when they are older they can choose for themselves ( aging hippies that we are LOL )

Lydia would be lyd or flyd as i have known lol, Erin could be shortened to Rin, Ewan Ew and lawrence i know one who gets called Lol :)

My MIL chose name that she thought couldnt be shortened- My hubby's name is Ian- mates call him ee-if they are determined people will find a way !!

I was just about to post the same thing - I have a friend whose parents chose Ian mainly because they thought it couldn't be shortened and all the rellies call him Eeeeee.

And if people really can't make shortening work, they can lengthen them which is sometimes worse. You just have to go with a name you both like.

My 1st 2 kids have names that can't really be shortened Luke and Jade although Jade has been called just J in the past I think at school kids will always shorten names or give nick names.
My youngest 2 ore Sofia and Olivia and I bloody detest SOPH!! sorry to anyone who is a SOPH lol If its shortened at all I would prefer Fia and for Olivia please not ollie but Liv :D:D:D but I suppose I wont get a say in that!!

I do not know anyone whose name can not be shorten or even lengthened.

My lovely Paul gets called Paulie (yuk) by MIL, his mother.

I call him Pablo or Pab.

I don't think any name is safe...........

xxxxxx

if they don't get shortened they will get lengthen i dont think three i a name that cant go one way or the other unlesa you invent it your self i kow some one called una and she was called un

LOL I can remember when i was younger questioning why my dad,whose name is John was called Jack by his workmates and being told that Jack is short for John WTF ??? they have the same number of letters !!!!!!

LOL I can remember when i was younger questioning why my dad,whose name is John was called Jack by his workmates and being told that Jack is short for John WTF ??? they have the same number of letters !!!!!!

Lol I don't get it either!

All names seem to get lengthened or shortened...I named my eldest Lee and all his mates have always called him Charlee! My next son was Aaron which is shortened to Az my daughter is lauren which gets shortened to lozza or loz and my other son is Thomas which gets shortened to Tom. Even if you think you have picked a name nothing can be done to it will be! Just go for one you both are happy with and your child wont struggle with at school!

Thanks guys. We really like Erin, I find it difficult with boys names. I'm not sure about the boys ones really like Zac too..

Zac is good and is a shortened version of Zacharias so hopefully it can not be shortened anymore.

Whatever you choose it will be good for you and your baby.

I love the name Zac. We called our eldest Isaac and had planned to call him Zac but never did. One of his teachers shortened it to Izz (pronounced eyes) which i didn't like at all but then found myself calling him it too! His friends have nicknamed him Viper which is a play on our surname and strangely enough the exact same thing my husband had at school. I think people will always find a way to change names if they try hard enough!

Sorry Sian wont do it again!! Sorry!

Back