Can vegetarians do red days?

LisaC

Gold Member
Ok Ive not been doing well & Vixxster has suggested giving red a go (so I lay off the pasta & potatoes a bit) but having quorn in place of the meat.

I have absolutely no idea with red days, what you can/cant eat etc etc so is the above correct? Ive seen some nice red recipes on the SW website but lots have rice/pasta in so I assume they're used as HEXB's.....?!

Any red recipe with rice in is an Extra Easy, rice isn't free nor is brown rice a HEb

You can have limited pasta as a HEb - I think 100g raw weight, which isn't much. And it must be wholemeal

227g baking potato as a HEb eat any way you want but leave skins ON!

100-and something grams of new pots is also a HEb

No peas, sweetcorn, parsnips, baked beans, kidney beans, butter beans, cous cous, lentils or any other grain, these are all SYNS on red though you can also have parsnip as a HEb.

A choices remain predominantly the same, except I noted that you can have Philly Light as an A choice on green and not on red, not sure why that is.

i think that's the basics, well, a bare grasp thereof anyway.

You can have your 'chicken', 'sausages', 'mince' and even some quorn burgers are free, you can have your red days hun, you just moderate whatever you used to have on green as free!

make a nice big pot of tea or a big mug of choccy options and curl up with yoyr SW manual and have a good read, and have fun moderating your very own LisaC veggie red days healthy eating plan, it will be fun!

Good luck and make sure you report back! (so I can steal your meal ideas) hehe:D

I feel like I had it easy on green!!! Hopefully I'll get my head around it soon, think once I know all the things free on red I should be ok. I feel like it's my first week on SW again!!

you know what tho hun, having a 'first week' mentality to the plan will be brill for your weight losses. Oooh i'm excited for you! Can't wait to see results. Really really want to see you bopping about here all made up shouting about your mega weight loss next week!

And if it works and works good, i'll be on the LisaC plan myself! xxx

If as a vegetarian you do do red
make sure you have your protein sources from a variety of foods
eg cheese eggs quorn wheat - as a vegetarian you need a variety of foods to ensure you have the correct spead of amino acids - or you wont be getting a complete protein - a few days wont hurt though

I'm not sure why you would bother doing a red day. You're not gaining anything - only losing out on being able to eat a whole load of foods in addition to the pasta and potatoes you want to cut back on. You can't eat fish or meat and you won't be able to eat pulses, rice and certain vegetables. So why not just do green but not have any or cut back on the potatoes and pasta? Why make life more difficult for yourself than you have to ;)

Im guessing on red you have little or no carbs so I think (or hope!!) cutting back on the carbs drastically will kick-start me. Plus as much as I do like veg anyways it will encourage me to eat much of it more I think :)

I'm not sure why you would bother doing a red day. You're not gaining anything - only losing out on being able to eat a whole load of foods in addition to the pasta and potatoes you want to cut back on. You can't eat fish or meat and you won't be able to eat pulses, rice and certain vegetables. So why not just do green but not have any or cut back on the potatoes and pasta? Why make life more difficult for yourself than you have to ;)

The mentality of it will help her, rice isn't free on red, cous cous isn't free on red, bakd beans aren't free on red, there is not an option to have a portion as a HEb, she will make some really good positive changes to her eating by doing it the Original way and I think it would really help her. Just 'doing green but cutting back' would be a bit of a lazy attempt, it might not work and she might feel even more despondent than she does now.

I say go for the change and feel positive about it! :flirt2:

Hi Lisa! Good luck!

Just a wee meal suggestion for your vegetarian *red* day.

Quorn sausages roasted in the oven with herbs and served with roasted veg and swede, carrot and butternut squash mash. Syn for gravy and an Aunt Bessie's new improved yorkshire pudding (only half a syn) and you have a roast dinner.

Hi Lisa! Good luck!

Just a wee meal suggestion for your vegetarian *red* day.

Quorn sausages roasted in the oven with herbs and served with roasted veg and swede, carrot and butternut squash mash. Syn for gravy and an Aunt Bessie's new improved yorkshire pudding (only half a syn) and you have a roast dinner.

This sounds lovely thanks! And believe it or not, I dont like gravy so Ill be saving myself some syns there too :p

You don't like gravy?????? What's wrong with you girl?!

heh, stir a spoonful of mustard into that mash then dude! I looooove quorn sausage and butternut squash mash! One of my fave comfort foods! xx

Hey Lisa, good luck with your red days. I find that I put on weight if I have too many Green or EE days.

I often have Red days or Mix 2 Max days that include one Red meal, a neutral meal and one Green/EE. I also have days where I eat 2 meals that are neutral or Superfree, then a third 'normal' meal (either Red, Green, or EE). So if you find it hard doing just Red, there are some other options that may help!

xx

I sometimes add some greek 0% yogurt to the mash with parsley, salt and pepper to make it creamy. In fact, for tonight's dinner I made quorn sausages, potato mash, broccoli, sprouts, yorkshire pud and a home-made syn free gravy. Delish!

Wow I thought I wouldn't be able to do Red days being vegetarian but you've all just proved me wrong! I think I may have to give it a goaswell... Good luck to you on your Red-veggie plan!! Xx

Back