Can you drink too much water?

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by cazmilligan, 6 February 2008 Social URL.

1. cazmilligan

cazmilligan Happiness in a shake!

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9lb(9.5%)
    Diet:
    cd
    Morning all!
    Just a quick question, can you drink too much water? I have drank 4 litres in the past 3 hours and feel quite unwell now! I was aiming for 8 today, but not too sure now! is it just in my imagination?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. corinne_j

corinne_j Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st4lb
    Current Weight:
    10st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st6lb(33.33%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge Diet
    Hi Caz,

It is possible to drink too much water, however I think that you would need to drink much more than you have to do any damage. 8 litres a day is an awful lot, you run the risk of flushing out all the vitamins and minerals in the packs as well as unwanted fat!

Try to spread out your drinking throughout the day, it's much better to sip constantly than try to down a litre at a time. Hope you're feeling better soon x

Corinne x

4. letmeout

letmeout Silver Member

Start Weight:
    24st4lb
    Current Weight:
    11st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st3lb
    Lost(%):
    12st7lb(51.47%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    My husband says yes you can- Paul McKenna did and ended up very poorly in hospital. I read somewhere on here women should stick to 6 litres a day. May be sopacing it out will help too.
    Take care x

5. lighterme

lighterme Full Member

I try to have 4 litres a day. My CDC is quite happy with this.

6. LizzieB

LizzieB Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st10lb
    Current Weight:
    12st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(4.49%)
    Diet:
    CD
    Deff not 8 litres, its far too much. Too much water can cause your brain to swell.... not good!

7. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

8 litres is NOT too much. The issue (as has been stated many times on here) is HOW much you drink in WHAT time frame. It is possible that 4 litres in 3hrs was a little more than your body is used to but it is unlikely that it is too high an amount for the time frame. Try having some flavouring in it or some sparkling and some tap water, vary it up a bit. Just make sure you are drinking constantly not getting it all down you in 30mins.

the amount you have had in the timeframe you have had it is nothing to be concerned about. Sometimes if you are drinking quite a bit of water on an empty stomach it can make you feel a bit queasy though.

8. sumayyah

sumayyah please try again

Start Weight:
    23st6lb
    Current Weight:
    17st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st13lb(25.3%)
    Diet:
    was cambridge now exante
    i keep a litre bottle next to me and sip at it, the side effects from too much water are when its consumed very fast, think of people whove taken ecstasy who down a couple of litres in a few minutesthats when it dilutes the salts in your body and causes electrolyte balances to go out of kilter

9. Deb G

Deb G Silver Member

Start Weight:
    13st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3lb(1.56%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    A guy died recently (he was mentally ill by the way) from drinking 26 litres of water. A BIT excessive!

10. misscheeky

misscheeky Gold Member

im only drinking 4litres a day...no way am i upping it to eight!!!im on the loo all the time as it is :(

11. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

26 litres - jeez. how can anyone manage that

12. cazmilligan

cazmilligan Happiness in a shake!

Start Weight:
    17st4lb
    Current Weight:
    15st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9lb(9.5%)
    Diet:
    cd
    Oh pip, pip, pip, I have totally freaked out, after drinking 5 (yes 5!!!!) litres of water this morning, I felt so ill, dizzy, and horrid, so, I read up on the net about drinking too much water and thought I was going to die!!!!!! It advised to eat something salty, so I am afraid to say I have eaten a salty packet of crisps and a pasta dinner, (didn't even enjoy them!) now I feel disguisted in myself, I only upped my water this am cause it is my 1st weigh in tomorrow and when I weighed myself this morning I had gone from 16st 4lb to 16st 7lb?????????????? So again I freaked out and thought, right flush it all out with lots of water, then when I read what I did on the net, feeling really ill, I paniced!!!!!!! Oh lord, how could I be so stupid, I have ruined my very 1st week with stupid, stupid, stupid ideas.:cry::cry::cry::cry:
    Right I am just gonna have to start fresh again tomorrow and go for it big style (without going mad with water or weighing myself!)
    Fell like a right idiot x:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

13. Kitteh

Kitteh Resident geek

Diet:
    sw
    Dont worry about it love.. Esp dont listen to the scales.. sometimes scales lie, which is why its always best to do measurments too.. im sure someone on here just said they put on a lb but lost inches.. probs best to stick to about 6 litres i think.. water can be dangerous drinking too much, but its in a certain time frame.. Like people on E.. They drink and drink, and effectivly drown themselves..
    Dont worry about the crisps.. I would have paniced too..

Good luck with your weigh in honey..

Cat x x x

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.