Can you eat courgette raw?

Gemmy_Lou

Really I am asking can it be undercooked? I have griddled chunks but they were really catching and so I hve taken them off but what if it wasnt cooked all the way through? Is that an issue?

I don't want courgette poisoning tomorrow!!

Raw courgette is fine. The worst it could do is give you indigestion!

I have often had raw sliced or grated courgettes in salads.

They can be a bit wet when grated, so it is a good idea to drain in a sieve or on some kitchen paper for a while.

If you have the Scan Bran carrot cake recipe, or any other carrot cake recipe, you can use grated courgette instead. Looks odd, tastes great!

Courgette cake... Sounds like something my boyfriend would hate... I must make it asap! He tends to turn his nose up at most SW recipes and then scoffs the lot but this could be mine, all mine!!

I can't wait for my glut!

Know its deffinately not SW friendly but if you add a grated courgette to a chocolate cake you will have the most moist chocolate cake you have ever tasted and it will keep for a several days too, cos chocolate cake does have a habit of being dry and a bit yuk, but with a courgette added, this is to die for. Oh, and no it doesn't taste of courgette, you don't taste it at all, just yummy....... rich ........moist...... chocolate cake. Stop it girl, chocolate cakes are bad thoughts, smacked hands.

Courgettes poison me at the best of times. I even get a 12 hour bout of the runs if I eat a stir-fry where the courgette has been taken out of my portion. So nooooo! Run away! Don't eat them EVER. ;)

Last edited:
OMG !!!!! you can't do that!!!!!

Look at these poor people when eating raw veggies when they got up in the morning.

Phil xxxx

In America, we use courgettes (well, they're called zucchini over there!) in cakes all the time. I have a few recipes for it. It's awesome! :D

I love courgette - raw and cooked, I've heard of a few cake recipes that call for them but have never actually tried one. Must put that on my list of things to do! J x

There was an article in The Times today about things to do with courgettes.

For instance:

To eat raw in salad, either chop into slim discs or, better still, into ribbons using a vegetable peeler lengthways. Marinate for a few minutes in olive oil and lemon juice, beating in a little garlic that has been pounded till smooth. They will combine very well with rocket and shavings of good Parmesan, or with basil and fine strips of lemon peel.

or

For a delicate risotto, grate courgettes into a sieve, salt and allow to sit for half an hour. Rinse and pat dry, then fry in olive oil and butter along with a squashed garlic clove until soft and translucent. Add risotto rice, stir to coat in the oil, then add your hot (preferably fresh) chicken stock ladle by ladle to absorb. When the rice is nearly done (about 20 minutes), stir through goat’s cheese and fresh tarragon, and finish with a drizzle of olive oil and black pepper over each portion.

You would have to adapt these ideas, as this writer uses rather a lot of oil and/or butter by SW standards!

For the whole article, see:
Shortcuts: courgettes - Times Online

I use grated raw courgette in salad all the time. Also grated in risotto or pasta is gorgeous with lemon zest (as above but SW friendly!)

Raw Courgette Update:

I tried it grated on my salad with dinner and it was lovely! I will be having it again.

I have decided that I am going to bake a cake too on Sunday (for my uncles birthday) and put courgette in and see if anyone notices. I wont tell them beforehand just see if they notice anything!

I will let you know...

Back