Can you split healthy extras?

abstay

F I want one slice WW bread and 1 Alpen bar can I count this as one HE?!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Yes, you can split "whole" items if that makes sense. For example, you could have 1 weetabix and 1 hifi light and count that as 1 HExA. I think SW advise against splitting measure healthy extra though, such as 250ml semi skimmed milk - you should keep that as 1 HExA, rather than halving it and having half of something else too.

Princess_Stevie said:
Yes, you can split "whole" items if that makes sense. For example, you could have 1 weetabix and 1 hifi light and count that as 1 HExA. I think SW advise against splitting measure healthy extra though, such as 250ml semi skimmed milk - you should keep that as 1 HExA, rather than halving it and having half of something else too.

Not quite what they mean by whole.... My c said you can halve anything that's basically one thing but if it comes an additional item, like some things have some cereal plus one ryvita, those cannot be split. But they would have no problem you having say 125mls of milk and 25g of feta. I regularly do this as I struggle to drink all my milk do I confirmed it with my c to be safe.

Hope this all made sense

Not quite what they mean by whole.... My c said you can halve anything that's basically one thing but if it comes an additional item, like some things have some cereal plus one ryvita, those cannot be split. But they would have no problem you having say 125mls of milk and 25g of feta. I regularly do this as I struggle to drink all my milk do I confirmed it with my c to be safe.

Hope this all made sense

Wires have been crossed somewhere along the line, as our C often says not to split measured items such as your 125mls milk and 25g feta. The reason being it is so easy to "over-measure", and doing that on both could soon rack up your Syns. i.e. 126mls milk & 26g feta - doesn't seem like a lot but those extra measurements all add up.

I guess it all depends on your C really. And if you find it's working for you, then that's great. But if your weight loss were to stop/slow down in the future, this would probably be something for you to look at.

My consultant also says not to split the healthy extras! It's mental isn't it, surely they should be all taught the same! I do split on occasion, but more like 1 slice of bread in morning and one in afternoon, I don't really split the hea's (very often)

I often split my milk as I never use 250ml unless I have cereal or it's in a recipe. I'm lucky if I use 50 ml on drinks TBH. I have a tiny dash of the stuff in my builders tea at brekky and very occasionally another in the PM. I don't really like milk. My C said it was fine as it was better to use the milk and say cheddar than to have to syn my two dashes of milk (tho I do syn them if I've had a cheesy day) and skip my HexA.

But weirdly she won't allow a recipe that uses say two HexA's So if you use milk AND cheese on a lasagne but it serves two then I'd assumed it would be one HexA a portion as you'd used one of each in the WHOLE....but whenever I take a recipe in she gets cross and tells everyone to syn the ingredients not use them as HEX's.

I think most C are a law unto themselves. the training doesn't seem very consistent!!!

Yeah some consultants are sadly in need of training :(

This is the official line

Q: Can I mix and match my Healthy Extras by halving the portions?

A: Yes, if you like - you’ll still lose weight beautifully! The downside is your speed and fibre symbols would have to be ignored unless your two halves had identical symbols. However, mixing and matching couldn't be done when there are multiple items in one choice, e.g. 28g Kellogg's All-Bran 1 Ryvita Multigrain crispbread. With all single item choices, feel free!

To keep the food diary as easy as possible to update, our Healthy Extra drop down lists only allow you to enter a whole Healthy Extra. If you do enjoy two half portions and want to record that, please make an entry in your food diary journal.

I very often split my HEXA between milk and cheese. If ive only had a couple of dashes of milk in coffee that day, i'll use up the rest of my hex on phillidelphia or cheese on my sw chips for example :)

Back