can you undo benefits of excercise?

debtin

Gold Member
This may sound strange, silly and stupid all mixed into one but here goes. I know sw does not give you Extra syns for doing excercise and that's not my question. For example I did 2 5k walks this week which burned 300 or so calories each time. I then went over my syns. Would this mean the excercise was pointless or do I still gain from the toning aspect? Does this make sense?

Yes if you ate more calories than you expended through exercising then you would have undone all your hard work. I don;t think walking will be particularly toning but good on you for getting more active :)

PatchworkPuss said:
Yes if you ate more calories than you expended through exercising then you would have undone all your hard work. I don;t think walking will be particularly toning but good on you for getting more active :)

MMmmm not so good news. Obviously eating chocolate doesn't help. So when walking the main benefit is the calories lost? Not to matter as I enjoyed the walking and also did my dvd workout. Even after some chocolate my tummy muscles still sore so it doesn't feel like waste of time...yet. will come Fri weigh in tho. Thanks for your help. That will teach me to be greedy x

debtin said:
MMmmm not so good news. Obviously eating chocolate doesn't help. So when walking the main benefit is the calories lost? Not to matter as I enjoyed the walking and also did my dvd workout. Even after some chocolate my tummy muscles still sore so it doesn't feel like waste of time...yet. will come Fri weigh in tho. Thanks for your help. That will teach me to be greedy x

It'll also increase your general fitness levels which is good :)

DustQueen said:
It'll also increase your general fitness levels which is good :)

Well going by my walking buddy's level fitness I need to increase mine, can hardly keep up lol

Hmmm I kinda disagree!

Exercise is fantastic for your health! I do a lot of exercise like running, walking and gym classes! I monitor my weight and my measurements! For the past few weeks I have not really lost weight but I have lost inches still! Anything that gets your heart rate up burns more calories! And walking can help tone your legs! I'm not saying you'll see the difference after two walks but it does help!

I always eat more when I exercise! I mainly free to stick to free foods, as if your body is hungry and you have used all your syns there are healthy snacks you can have instead......and the other thing to remember when exercise is drink lots of water.

Completely agree with Purpled. It makes me slightly angry when I see people on here saying things like "i'm not exercising because i'm afraid of gain"...if someone doesn't want to exercise thats fine but thats such a bad reason not to. I am doing SW to get healthy, not just to lose weight, so maybe i'm seeing things differently. Exercise is GREAT for you and does tone up your legs. Not in a couple of weeks but walk for an hour five times a week for a few months and you'll notice a difference! Keeps your heart healthy too :)

Purpled and d14 thanks for your comments. The scales are rubbish for me and It's my body shape, not so much my weight, that I am unhappy with. Yes I have bout 7-10 lbs to lose to get to pre baby weight but even back then I wasn't happy with the shape so I figured excercise along with sw is needed to get me to where I want to be. Financially walking is as good as I can manage, it gets my heart pounding and makes me feel good. Also on nights am not walking or if I can do both, I will be doing 30 day shred. Figure as long as I am doing something it will help get me to where I want to be....thanks again it helps to know it will be worth it x

Also walking fast enough to be slightly out of puff will increase your lung capacity and stamina making you more alert, help you sleep better, due to the increased oxygen in your blood, you will get fewer headaches and strengthen your muscles.
Using Nordic walking poles increases your workout by 16% without noticeable extra effort, toning the arms as well, this exercises the muscles in the chest which keeps the lungs clearer! As well as toning the arms.

Keep your lower arms uncovered and use only a factor 15 SPF for first 20 mins will enable you to absorb vitamin D too.

At home add in a strength based workout (resistance bands/dumbbells/kettlebell) and you will tone faster.

Do a core workout too to improve posture, walking talk makes you look slimmer. I use an app that gives you 5/7.5/10 minute workouts on your phone!

Purpled and d14 thanks for your comments. The scales are rubbish for me and It's my body shape, not so much my weight, that I am unhappy with. Yes I have bout 7-10 lbs to lose to get to pre baby weight but even back then I wasn't happy with the shape so I figured excercise along with sw is needed to get me to where I want to be. Financially walking is as good as I can manage, it gets my heart pounding and makes me feel good. Also on nights am not walking or if I can do both, I will be doing 30 day shred. Figure as long as I am doing something it will help get me to where I want to be....thanks again it helps to know it will be worth it x

Walking and the 30 day shred will definitely help improve your shape. I finished the 30 day shred last year and lost 15lbs from days 10-30 (didn't measure or weigh myself before day 10 unfortunately) 3 inches off my belly, 2 from under my bust, two and a half from my natural waist and one and a half from my thighs. It definitely works. I couldn't notice a huge difference just by looking in the mirror, probably because of how overweight I am already, but I could see it in my clothes!

I'm currently attempting to complete the shred again, i'm on day 8 today. Its tough but push through and it'll be worth it :)

No you can't undo the benefits of exercise in my opinion. Even if it doesn't result in extra weight loss it is still making you fitter and healthier.

I don't think anyone here is anti exercising. Yes I agree that any exercise is great and you do need to eat back at least half of the calories you are expending in order to fuel your increased activity level. In terms of toning I suppose it depends on the level of intensity, duration and nature of the walk. Walking on an incline burns more calories than walking on the flat and makes you work all those lower body muscles so it will have a toning effect. So try hill walking or cranking up the angle on the treadmill. A leisurely stroll is not intense enough and walking on the flat doesn't significantly strength the upper leg muscles. Your body also gets used to it and it is becomes routine, no longer a challenge. :)

Completely agree with Purpled. It makes me slightly angry when I see people on here saying things like "i'm not exercising because i'm afraid of gain"...if someone doesn't want to exercise thats fine but thats such a bad reason not to. I am doing SW to get healthy, not just to lose weight, so maybe i'm seeing things differently. Exercise is GREAT for you and does tone up your legs. Not in a couple of weeks but walk for an hour five times a week for a few months and you'll notice a difference! Keeps your heart healthy too :)

I see it the same as you! Although the majority do SW to lose weight I have friends who've done it purely to learn healthy eating. I love that SW doesn't give extra Syns for doing exercise. I'd rather burn 200cals by working hard then eating Superfree if I need something. SW really promote exercise & I think it's brilliant.

Walking is brilliant for toning your legs. I power walk with hand weights, it's so great for you. If you don't like that you could do 1 minute power walking & 2 minutes normal walking & keep repeating, that's almost as good as you'll burn more calories than just walking. Any exercise is better than none, keep at it :)

Walking has been good for me. My pedometer said that I walk about 12k a day going backwards and forwards on the school run and I definitely notice the benefit to my legs. When we're on holidays I notice my fitness level reducing a bit. Anything you can do is good news!

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your thoughts. Decided to keep doing the excercise, walking as well as 30ds whether I have "blown" my syns or not. No matter what it can't be any worse than blowing the syns and not doing excercise. Also did my 3rd 5k today since Tuesday in 50min and have done day two of 30ds and god am I tired now BUT you can't replace how good excercise makes you feel. Such a buzz and wish I could bottle it. Thanks again everyone....onwards and upwards...

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your thoughts. Decided to keep doing the excercise, walking as well as 30ds whether I have "blown" my syns or not. No matter what it can't be any worse than blowing the syns and not doing excercise. Also did my 3rd 5k today since Tuesday in 50min and have done day two of 30ds and god am I tired now BUT you can't replace how good excercise makes you feel. Such a buzz and wish I could bottle it. Thanks again everyone....onwards and upwards...

Personally I love exercise! Like you I love the way it makes me feel. Quite strong & lean. I've done at least 30minutes everyday for over two weeks. I do 30 day shred too but not everyday, I have to vary it or I'll get bored.

Sounds like you're really well on the exercise side of it, keep at it & you'll see the benefits. In 2 weeks I can already see my legs (my worst part) toning up & my clothes are lose.

If you do blow your syns, don't slog your guts out doing exercise to gain the calories back, just draw a line underneath & carry on as normal.

LisaC said:
Personally I love exercise! Like you I love the way it makes me feel. Quite strong & lean. I've done at least 30minutes everyday for over two weeks. I do 30 day shred too but not everyday, I have to vary it or I'll get bored.

Sounds like you're really well on the exercise side of it, keep at it & you'll see the benefits. In 2 weeks I can already see my legs (my worst part) toning up & my clothes are lose.

If you do blow your syns, don't slog your guts out doing exercise to gain the calories back, just draw a line underneath & carry on as normal.

I will thanks. Being relaxed tonight but not too much. Just started excercise but feels good. Effort to get started but good. I will aim for every second night with 30ds and really need background music cos as much as I like jillain her voice is starting to grate..very motivational though. Also don't want to sicken myself so that i have excuse give up. Look forward to hearing how you are gettin on inches/weight wise with It x

PatchworkPuss said:
I don't think anyone here is anti exercising. Yes I agree that any exercise is great and you do need to eat back at least half of the calories you are expending in order to fuel your increased activity level. In terms of toning I suppose it depends on the level of intensity, duration and nature of the walk. Walking on an incline burns more calories than walking on the flat and makes you work all those lower body muscles so it will have a toning effect. So try hill walking or cranking up the angle on the treadmill. A leisurely stroll is not intense enough and walking on the flat doesn't significantly strength the upper leg muscles. Your body also gets used to it and it is becomes routine, no longer a challenge. :)

I understood what you meant patchwork. Debtin -your 2.5k walk probably burnt an extra 150 cals. If you then ate more than that in higher sugar/fat foods then you would not be getting the calories burn benefit of the walk. Depending on how fast you went, you would still get the cardiovascular benefits, and long term, you would tone up if you did it regularly, & like patchwork says, increase it to keep it a challenge for your body. But you need to walk pretty quickly (at about 5.8kph pace for me) to get your heart rate up to a decent level.

Walking is great exercise for long term fitness, but you should def try to add in a load of strength work too - and try to do the advanced versions in 30 day shred 2nd time round :)

kingleds said:
I understood what you meant patchwork. Debtin -your 2.5k walk probably burnt an extra 150 cals. If you then ate more than that in higher sugar/fat foods then you would not be getting the calories burn benefit of the walk. Depending on how fast you went, you would still get the cardiovascular benefits, and long term, you would tone up if you did it regularly, & like patchwork says, increase it to keep it a challenge for your body. But you need to walk pretty quickly (at about 5.8kph pace for me) to get your heart rate up to a decent level.

Walking is great exercise for long term fitness, but you should def try to add in a load of strength work too - and try to do the advanced versions in 30 day shred 2nd time round :)

Hi kingsled, thanks for your reply. I am using an app on my phone to track my miles, time, cals burned and mph but its not as know as you suggested but I honestly couldn't walk any faster. I am practically running at times to catch up with my walking buddy and yesterday my 5k was mix of running and walking tho could hardly breathe. Even if I don't see too much results and soon with walking I am enjoying it and heart feels like it will pop out my chest at times lol.30ds is my second attempt but I only got to try level two once before I stopped. I am definately still at level one stage although I can keep up with the girls on every excercise except those Damn side lunges with weights haha. Think I am unfit but will keep at it as I like how tight my arms and legs feel today, something must be working. Will measure once level one complete and keep eye on scales. Are you doing 30ds too? Do you enjoy it?

Back